When to jump ship?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Reb Tevye

When to jump ship?

Post by Reb Tevye »

Here is my recurring dream. Can anyone interpret it for me?

--------------------
I'm a deck hand working on a great 3-masted sailing ship of old, plying the vast and wide ocean. The ship is called the "Toil Aweigh."
• It's not a bad life on the ship, they feed me well and keep me strong and busy.
• But after many years, the work has grown tiring, and I yearn for more free time.
• The ship is approaching a line of distant islands. We will sail past them, but they are still 5-15 miles away (nautical miles, of course)
• But, being a dream, our ship moves incredibly slowly, at nearly the same speed as a swimmer.

Luckily I can swim:
• I really like swimming. In fact, in my dream, I dream about swimming.
• Because of my hard work on the boat, I think I'm pretty strong, and could swim a good long distance.
• I'm thinking I could easily swim 5 miles. Maybe 10. But I'm not quite sure I could swim 15 miles.

This chain of islands is called the Sandy Shore Atoll
• There are 9 islands in this chain: each one about a mile further away than the next.
• These 9 islands have a crazy local nickname: The Islands of Incrementally Greater Perpetual Happiness.
• The nearest island provides just the bare essentials to live: a few coconut trees, limited shade, rough shores and a meager stream of fresh water.
• The next island is 8% better. Slightly bigger coconuts. A few pretty flowers. A small bit of sandy beach.
• The next islands are each 8% better still, down the line.
• The 9th island is the nicest. The Hollywood ideal of the tropics. Fresh fruit trees. A tropical waterfall. A nice fishing lagoon. Alternating mile-long sections of black sand and white sand beaches. Conch shells. You name it.
• However the rules of the islands say that once you step foot on any one island, you likely will never leave. Though legend has it of sailors who've swum off searching for the next better island, but alas, they never returned to tell the tail.

So, in my dream, I often find myself on the ship's bow staring at these distant islands of Incrementally Greater Perpetual Happiness, and thinking… hey, I'd like to jump off this here boat and swim over to one of them islands and live the good life of coconuts and sandy beaches.

The waters
• Alas, as any good sailor knows, much depends on the waters.
• While the winds are behind us, the swimming may be easy.
• But if the wind and waves come up, it will sap my strength. Even a strong swimmer may not make to the 9th island if he jumps ship too early.
• Of course all sailors know the legend of the Great Black Shark that is supposed to live these waters. Strangely, in my dream, the shark looks more like a large black aquatic fowl.
• Some mates tell me that people who've jumped off on previous trips actually outswam the boat and got to the islands ahead of the ship.
• But the wizened old sailor, "Billy B", is warning me that the fair tail winds of the past weeks, and clouds on the horizon, foretell some head winds and rough waters in the future.

In my dreams so far I haven't ever jumped off the ship.
-----------------
Calling all Josephs…. Can anyone help me interpret this crazy crazy dream?

Burton Malkiel's book has a whole section relating specific investments to specific kinds of dreams, so I figured folks here maybe be adept at reverse engineering my dream.

Or, what advice should my Awake Self give to my Dream Self about jumping off the ship?
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"
tainted-meat

Re: When to jump ship?

Post by tainted-meat »

If you have enough and have had enough, then it's time to do what you want.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Your dream appears to be related to the question of when to retire and take social security not about swimming to an island. There are calculators for that.

As for the nautical side of the dream, never try to swim to shore from a lifeboat. And, for a small, sinking sailboat, never step down in to a lifeboat - always step up in to a lifeboat. The advice for larger vessels may vary.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I wish I had some advice to offer, but I'm more interested in other responses.

I have a similar recurring dream, except in mine I keep looking for the option to rest on a moderately comfortable island for awhile in the middle of the journey. My expectation would be that I could then find another ship later to toil a bit further. But what if my muscles atrophy, or another ship never appears? I keep thinking it makes more sense to slug it out a little further on the not-so-terrible ship I've already gotten to know. It's just such a LONG and often boring journey. Some days relaxing on any old island sounds like a better use of my time...
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Undoubtedly a sign to use Vanguard for investment vehicles given their nautical motif and all.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Reb Tevye wrote:Here is my recurring dream. Can anyone interpret it for me?
< snip >

Or, what advice should my Awake Self give to my Dream Self about jumping off the ship?
Wait to get off until the ship gets to dock. Otherwise, keep sleeping and hope for a different dream. :)
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
Topic Author
Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye »

Thanks for going along with my dream inquiry.
It was half in fun, but also half serious. I know the perils and limits of analogies, but I can't seem to get through the day without invoking one or two. And I rather liked this one.

Unless circumstances force my hand, I think the "when to jump" question is going to be tormenting to try and figure out. I'm usually not an overly cautious person, but I do think I'm sensible and this is one decision I don't want to biff or be foolish about, either way.

I think my best bet is to get off the bow for a while, close my spreadsheets, and get back down below decks.

But I do like the "go with Vanguard" suggestion!
spectec

Post by spectec »

When you jump, just plan to swim about half way to the island. Then, when you get to the mid-point, take stock of your energy level and strength. If you decide you can't make it to shore, just swim back to the ship. That sounds like a good plan.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Reb Tevye wrote:I think my best bet is to get off the bow for a while, close my spreadsheets, and get back down below decks.
You don't have to go below deck. For instance, set the ship on autopilot and sit "stern," drink some cocktails, and enjoy the cruise!
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Very nice storied analogy. For me, I’d pick a middle island. Not to primitive and not too posh. I would gladly trade more years living a good life, while younger, and at a slightly about standard level of comfort than MAYBE a few very good years of an extravagant lifestyle. You can buy anything but time.
freddie

Post by freddie »

spectec wrote:When you jump, just plan to swim about half way to the island. Then, when you get to the mid-point, take stock of your energy level and strength. If you decide you can't make it to shore, just swim back to the ship. That sounds like a good plan.
Cuts it pretty close. Your betting that the boat is moving fast enough so the distance to it is short enough that you can make it back. What if the boat had hit a period of no wind is still half way away? And of course sometimes the boat changes direction and you have no clue on how to find it again.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Reb Tevye wrote:This chain of islands is called the Sandy Shore Atoll
• There are 9 islands in this chain: each one about a mile further away than the next.
• These 9 islands have a crazy local nickname: The Islands of Incrementally Greater Perpetual Happiness.
• The nearest island provides just the bare essentials to live: a few coconut trees, limited shade, rough shores and a meager stream of fresh water.
• The next island is 8% better. Slightly bigger coconuts. A few pretty flowers. A small bit of sandy beach.
• The 9th island is the nicest. The Hollywood ideal of the tropics. Fresh fruit trees. A tropical waterfall. A nice fishing lagoon. Alternating mile-long sections of black sand and white sand beaches. Conch shells. You name it.
• However the rules of the islands say that once you step foot on any one island, you likely will never leave. Though legend has it of sailors who've swum off searching for the next better island, but alas, they never returned to tell the tail.
All of them have a pretty good view... Maybe the 1st or 2nd one is "enough". :)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

RadAudit wrote:And, for a small, sinking sailboat, never step down in to a lifeboat - always step up in to a lifeboat. The advice for larger vessels may vary.
What does this mean, by the way?
dpc

Post by dpc »

It's a cute way of saying that abandoning your vessel should be the ultimate last resort - your vessel should sitting lower in the water than your life raft so you have to step up to board the life raft. Many sailors have been lost simply trying to get into a life raft in heavy seas.

As far as the OP's dream - I'd suggest less spicy food close to bedtime.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Lest ye forget mateys, talk like a pirate day be fast approachin' on Sep 19. :beer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... Pirate_Day

Arrr...keep a wee bit of powder dry and a weather eye for scoundrels who would plunder ye treasure
Topic Author
Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye »

Riprap wrote:Arrr...keep a wee bit of powder dry and a weather eye for scoundrels who would plunder ye treasure
LOL.

I can see a Pirates Guide to Investing in the making.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The original Tevye should have jumped the ship before the Russian revolution.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

HomerJ wrote:
RadAudit wrote:And, for a small, sinking sailboat, never step down in to a lifeboat - always step up in to a lifeboat. The advice for larger vessels may vary.
Some sailboats can stay afloat longer than you can stand to stay with the sailboat.

The classic story is here. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a ... 04/?no-ist

Another, more modern, story is noted in the Perfect Storm. The sailboat that was abandoned in the middle of the storm stayed afloat and was found several weeks later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIBDYVJFrHQ

How does it apply to retiring? Just be sure before you jump ship.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Topic Author
Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye »

RadAudit wrote:How does it apply to retiring? Just be sure before you jump ship.
Thanks.
I think that indeed is the lesson... If you aren't sure, then it's probably not time. Seems obvious enough.

The analogy to the analogy is when a young persons asks, "How do you KNOW if you've met Mr. or Ms. Right?" Well, for that case I think I know the answer... When you KNOW, you KNOW. If you don't KNOW, then it's probably not Mr. or Ms. Right.

On the other hand...
at some points in life you may need to invoke the words of Van Halen, "Might as well jump."

On the other hand...
regrets rarely come from following your gut, no matter the outcome.

OK... Dream analyzed. Thanks everyone.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

If the captain of the ship is competent and fair, keep sailing with him.

And never underestimate the value of a decent rum ration! :beer
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
leonard

Post by leonard »

Why does this section have a posting about interpreting dreams? Shouldn't this be in a different section of the forum - or perhaps a dream interpretation forum on another website?

I'm taking this at face value and assuming that this is NOT an unnecessarily complicated analogy being substituted for a fairly straight forward market timing question.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

leonard wrote:I'm taking this at face value and assuming that this is NOT an unnecessarily complicated analogy being substituted for a fairly straight forward market timing question.
It's an analogy about when to quit your job and retire... (i.e. jump ship = quit).

Scary to do... Do we have enough? Should we stick it out on the ship (job) for another few years?

Read it again.
leonard

Post by leonard »

HomerJ wrote:
leonard wrote:I'm taking this at face value and assuming that this is NOT an unnecessarily complicated analogy being substituted for a fairly straight forward market timing question.
It's an analogy about when to quit your job and retire... (i.e. jump ship = quit).

Scary to do... Do we have enough? Should we stick it out on the ship (job) for another few years?

Read it again.
Analogies are unnecessarily complicated and lead people to discuss the analogy and NOT the actual question.

So, why not just ask the actual question?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I would suggest jumping off sooner rather than later but using a floatation device to get you all the way to island #9. TIP's come to mind, you know, Temporary Inflatable Pontoons. Float serenely to the white sand beach, pull up a Mai Tai, and replace the TIP's with a grin.
Last edited by vested1 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Analogies are unnecessarily complicated and lead people to discuss the analogy and NOT the actual question.

Because deciphering analogies can be amusing, and help stimulate the gray matter. There's nothing wrong with a bit of levity on occasion.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

leonard wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Read it again.

It was fun to read... I thought he did a great job...
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Too funny. Loved this thread. You jump when the boat into which you are jumping has fewer holes. Trust me, I was in the Navy. Wonderful metaphor for investing.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Regardless, I really enjoyed the original post!

Now, if we're talking about when to actually stop working and retire, then my response is, "What have you planned for your retirement?"

My contemporaries are all in their 60s and 70s, and this is an ongoing dilemma. I strongly feel it's not just about "when" to retire, but what you have planned for your life as a retired person. How are you going to spend your days? Have you thought about what a typical day will be? (There was a good thread about this on the Forum several months ago).

Leading a successful retired life is as difficult, if not moreso, than leading a successful working life. It's got to be more than just walking the dog, watching TV, and playing golf.

And money is just part of the puzzle.

Of course, like Tevye, you can sit (or dream about sitting, since you're a dreamer) in the synagogue all day, studying and arguing with the other retired yentas.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Of course as with many analogies it fails to cover the full range of alternatives like the one where the ship periodically drops you off on the island to relax then picks you back up for a while until you just decide to stay on the island.
Ki_poorrichard

Post by Ki_poorrichard »

When to jump ship eh?

You can decide when to jump ship but why now? Everyone's still on it. Once you jump off, you will be farther off course than if you just stayed on. Real sailors stay the course and pirates deviate off it.

Hope this helps shipmate!

"These kind of bubbles are something that everyone participates in. That's why they are bubbles." - John C. Bogle
"We are never certain. We are always ignorant to some degree." - Peter L. Bernstein
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Each island has increasing resources. However you need to see the sea for the land. Each island is an island. Who cares if the next island has more resources when those resources are eventually limited and untradable. These islands are uninhabited or have limited populations for a reason. The last island eventually will be like the first island.
What no opposite sex to make life miserable?
:annoyed
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

leonard wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Read it again.

Because those who wish to participate (NO ONE is forced), and responded in the form of analogies, can put in their 2¢ to answer the question just the same. And Because^2 we all - some more than others - can use *loosening-up* from time to time, IMO.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Jeez. My dreams are still about being naked in front of the class.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Reb Tevye wrote:Here is my recurring dream. Can anyone interpret it for me?

--------------------
I'm a deck hand working on a great 3-masted sailing ship of old, plying the vast and wide ocean. The ship is called the "Toil Aweigh."
• It's not a bad life on the ship, they feed me well and keep me strong and busy.
Even if the ship is going strong at the moment, it can fail. And this failure can happen in the most unfortunate for you circumstances such as hurricane-force winds, arrival of particularly vicious sharks, lifeboats having holes, and your shipmates fighting with you for survival. Or you could fall from a mast and become unable to swim.
Reb Tevye wrote: • But after many years, the work has grown tiring, and I yearn for more free time.
• The ship is approaching a line of distant islands. We will sail past them, but they are still 5-15 miles away (nautical miles, of course)
• But, being a dream, our ship moves incredibly slowly, at nearly the same speed as a swimmer.

Luckily I can swim:
• I really like swimming. In fact, in my dream, I dream about swimming.
• Because of my hard work on the boat, I think I'm pretty strong, and could swim a good long distance.
• I'm thinking I could easily swim 5 miles. Maybe 10. But I'm not quite sure I could swim 15 miles.

This chain of islands is called the Sandy Shore Atoll
The problem of your Dream Self is that he is anchoring on the features of the 9th island, and his decision making is clouded by his anticipation of the loss aversion if he ends up on any island other than #9. Your Awake Self should conduct an independent analysis of the features of his desired island and then identify an actual island that provides these features. Let's say that it's #6. Both Dream Self and Awake Self should now forget about islands 7 through 9 and start imagining their life on island #6. Pretty soon the endowment effect will kick in, and your selves will sincerely believe that #6 provides the best of all worlds.
Reb Tevye wrote: • However the rules of the islands say that once you step foot on any one island, you likely will never leave. Though legend has it of sailors who've swum off searching for the next better island, but alas, they never returned to tell the tail.

So, in my dream, I often find myself on the ship's bow staring at these distant islands of Incrementally Greater Perpetual Happiness, and thinking… hey, I'd like to jump off this here boat and swim over to one of them islands and live the good life of coconuts and sandy beaches.

The waters
• Alas, as any good sailor knows, much depends on the waters.
• While the winds are behind us, the swimming may be easy.
• But if the wind and waves come up, it will sap my strength. Even a strong swimmer may not make to the 9th island if he jumps ship too early.
• Of course all sailors know the legend of the Great Black Shark that is supposed to live these waters. Strangely, in my dream, the shark looks more like a large black aquatic fowl.
• Some mates tell me that people who've jumped off on previous trips actually outswam the boat and got to the islands ahead of the ship.
• But the wizened old sailor, "Billy B", is warning me that the fair tail winds of the past weeks, and clouds on the horizon, foretell some head winds and rough waters in the future.
Does Billy B assume that head winds and rough waters experience reversion to the mean?
Reb Tevye wrote:In my dreams so far I haven't ever jumped off the ship.
-----------------
Calling all Josephs…. Can anyone help me interpret this crazy crazy dream?

Burton Malkiel's book has a whole section relating specific investments to specific kinds of dreams, so I figured folks here maybe be adept at reverse engineering my dream.

The Dream Self should stop thinking of what he'll lose by jumping the ship and start focusing on what he'll gain on island #6. As soon as #6 is within his swimming distance he should jump and never look back.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

saladdin wrote:Jeez. My dreams are still about being naked in front of the class.
I've never had that dream, but I STILL (25 years later) have dreams about being late and totally unprepared for an exam for some random class that I've been skipping most of the semester.

The brain is so interesting... I wish we knew more about it.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Reb Tevye wrote:...
In my dreams so far I haven't ever jumped off the ship.
-----------------
Calling all Josephs…. Can anyone help me interpret this crazy crazy dream?...
The answer to the first question is that everyone will have an interpretation and it will probably be wrong and even if it was right or partially right, how would anyone know for sure? As for the second question, everyone can give advice to your "Awake Self," your conscious self, but no one knows how to communicate with any certainty your "Dream Self," your unconscious self, so how would the advice be passed on?

Besides, great dreams like this one should be allowed to develop on their own. It's the unconscious realm that is so fascinating, so who wants it to be in the boring conscious realm?

Let it be and let us know where it goes.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

In my dream last night I was shooting zombies with a Nerf gun. It wasn't working out so well and they were trying to bite me!

As for your dream I would jump off as soon as you can comfortable make it to the any of islands. The only thing you can never get back is time.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

SimonJester wrote:As for your dream I would jump off as soon as you can comfortable make it to the any of islands. The only thing you can never get back is time.
When it comes to jumping the ship, time is not linear. When you are far away from the islands, you think that you will jump at the earliest opportunity. But when the islands are within the realm of possibility, time slows down and you find reasons to wait just a little longer so that you could make it to the next island. Your Today Self does not know how your Tomorrow Self will think.

Victoria
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Reb Tevye,

I almost forgot. Tip's is not the only way to ensure you reach island #9 if that's where you really want to end up. Be sure to check your mailbox for a special deal that's being offered to the most exclusive of customers. It's called a SPIA, you know, Sailor Preferred Island Access. This card has a hefty upfront cost but I hear the long term benefits can help you drift off to sleep to the gentle rocking motion of the lapping waves.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

vested1 wrote:Be sure to check your mailbox for a special deal that's being offered to the most exclusive of customers. It's called a SPIA, you know, Sailor Preferred Island Access. This card has a hefty upfront cost but I hear the long term benefits can help you drift off to sleep to the gentle rocking motion of the lapping waves.
I love* it!

* the post, not so convinced about the Sailor Preferred Island Access (SPIA) card. :)
leonard

Post by leonard »

YDNAL wrote:
leonard wrote:
HomerJ wrote:

Read it again.

Because those who wish to participate (NO ONE is forced), and responded in the form of analogies, can put in their 2¢ to answer the question just the same. And Because^2 we all - some more than others - can use *loosening-up* from time to time, IMO.
What if the Kraken hits and takes the entire crew to Davy Jones locker?
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

leonard wrote:
YDNAL wrote:
leonard wrote:Analogies are unnecessarily complicated and lead people to discuss the analogy and NOT the actual question.

I see presumably UNforced participation.

Searching for your island, mitigate the risks rumored to be found off the coasts of Norway and Greenland.
leonard

Post by leonard »

YDNAL wrote:
leonard wrote:
YDNAL wrote:
leonard wrote:Analogies are unnecessarily complicated and lead people to discuss the analogy and NOT the actual question.

I see presumably UNforced participation.

Searching for your island, mitigate the risks rumored to be found off the coasts of Norway and Greenland.
I just ridiculously stretched the analogy. One of the many pitfalls of reasoning by analogy - esp. in an area as concrete as personal finance.