TD Ameritrade transaction fee to sell a fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
itworks

TD Ameritrade transaction fee to sell a fund

Post by itworks »

I moved to 3-fund portfolio a couple of years ago, well, almost all accounts, except an ESA account with TD Ameritrade. I want to sell the fund, YACKX, in this account, but TDAmeritrade would charge me $49.99. I feel I have paid them way too much transaction fee at the time when I did the 3-fund consolidation, $49.99 each, for a number of funds. (Stupid me, I sold VTRIX, Vanguard International Value, while still with TDAmeritrade, before I realized I could do an in-kind transfer to Vanguard and then sell it without fee at Vanguard).

I would like to do away with the fee this time if possible. Any suggestions?
livesoft

Re: TD Ameritrade transaction fee to sell a fund

Post by livesoft »

Sure, deposit $250,000 in your TDAmeritrade account and collect the bonus of whatever it is nowadays, probably $600. Use your bonus towards the fees.

After that, use Vanguard ETFs that have no transaction fees at TDAmeritrade.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
itworks

Post by itworks »

Interesting idea. My taxable account with Vanguard has all admiral shares. Can they be transferred in-kind?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If they are index funds, probably not. If they are actively-managed funds, then maybe.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
IPer

Post by IPer »

I called TD Ameritrade and asked if I could get some free trades. The rep asked me "why?" and I basically said I had heard that there were some they could
give and if there were I wanted some. So he gave me 5 free trades. I am not sure if there is a category that will cover a sale of a fund but it might not
hurt too much to ask, last time I phoned I didn't hold for over a minute.
Read the Wiki Wiki !
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

How much are you holding at TDA because if it's a substantial amount it's worth calling and see if they'll do you a courtesy.
Topic Author
itworks

Post by itworks »

I have about $4000 there. It might be a small amount for them to give a pass.
fourwedge

Post by fourwedge »

I recently transferred all my IRA's to Vanguard "in kind". I was charged $35 per fund after I sold them. I too was surprised there was a fee. Too late now, but I am now 100% invested in cheap index funds.
Max out your tax sheltered retirement accounts with inexpensive, well diversified, index funds and you will beat 90% of all investors.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

itworks wrote:I have about $4000 there. It might be a small amount for them to give a pass.
Yeah probably not but you'd also incur a transfer fee trying to move somewhere else for a cheaper transaction fee so you probably will need to pay it or just keep the fund.