Another two-comma club member

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MrWinky

Another two-comma club member

Post by MrWinky »

I started averaging into the market through 2008 and finished in March 2009; since then it has been really easy to let it ride...

Sometime in the last month our family crossed into the two-comma club, in fact between steady contributions and appreciation our net worth has more than doubled since 2008. At the same time it feels like we've been running full-tilt nonstop; my starting thread at Bogleheads asked about the 401k options for a job that is now three jobs ago. My wife has also had three jobs since then, and the future is starting to look uncertain for the current one.

Our first child was also born a few months ago, so that makes things upside down even more. And we've moved in the last year :)

It does feel really good to have made this milestone, but to be honest I don't feel rich; this kind of money buys some peace of mind but it doesn't buy time or certainty. I'm also trying hard to not think of it as money in the bank because I know a bunch of it will be taken away sometime in the random future.

Anyway, I can't share this with anyone in my day-to-day life except my wife, so I thought I would share it here. And also express my gratitude that there are so many smart people here to learn from. I don't post much but read the form avidly, and it has made all the difference.
thedayisbrave

Re: Another two-comma club member

Post by thedayisbrave »

Congratulations on your accomplishment! But more importantly, congratulations on your first kid :) Sounds like a lot has been happening in your life... don't forget to enjoy it :wink:

Sounds like you have your head on straight. It's an important milestone to be sure, but you've got the right idea. Keep living your life and loving the people around you... after all, they're worth more than all the money in the world :)

But seriously, congrats :sharebeer
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Congrats! Thank you for writing such an insightful post about putting wealth into a proper perspective.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Congratulations :sharebeer

John
prudent

Post by prudent »

Well done, and congratulations! Isn't it amazing how much knowledge is here for free, and some people pay thousands to advisors... and get less?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If two people have two commas, isn't that one comma each? For two people to have two commas each, you need four commas. :)

While that may have been a joke, if you split two commas in a divorce, you need more that a bare two commas to come out with two commas after the divorce.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:While that may have been a joke, if you split two commas in a divorce, you need more that a bare two commas to come out with two commas after the divorce.
Losing club membership after a divorce is not uncommon. Or is it not uncomman?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

MrWinky wrote:

It does feel really good to have made this milestone, but to be honest I don't feel rich; this kind of money buys some peace of mind but it doesn't buy time or certainty. I'm also trying hard to not think of it as money in the bank because I know a bunch of it will be taken away sometime in the random future.
You are not rich yet, but will be.

It will go up and down, maybe even crash. But in the long term, you will come out ahead.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

sscritic wrote:If two people have two commas, isn't that one comma each? For two people to have two commas each, you need four commas. :)

While that may have been a joke, if you split two commas in a divorce, you need more that a bare two commas to come out with two commas after the divorce.
Comma comma comma comma ca comma comma, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Oh yeah, and congratulations.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

vested1 wrote: Comma comma comma comma ca comma comma, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
Nothing like a little Jimmy Jones to get your morning started.

Did I see a thread where someone asked for a handyman recommendation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpbNvDg6zY
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

sscritic wrote:
vested1 wrote: Comma comma comma comma ca comma comma, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Thanks, I was wondering who sang that song. Now it will be in my head all day long.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

cleosdad wrote:
sscritic wrote:

Thanks, I was wondering who sang that song. Now it will be in my head all day long.
Hmmm...

I thought the song was "comma comma comma comma comma commaleon/You come and go/You come and go," by Boy George (and the Culture Club).
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Congratulations and thank YOU to you and my other fellow Bogleheads for sharing their wisdom and motivation with those of us who have many years to go (just joined the "three digits before the comma" club) before we're in the same boat. You're an inspiration and are greatly appreciated!
Zabar

Post by Zabar »

Congratulations. While being in the two-comma club may not by "rich" by BH standards, it is by those of most people. And it certainly beats the alternative no matter how old you are. :beer
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Congratulations. I love Boglehead success stories.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

sscritic wrote:
vested1 wrote: Comma comma comma comma ca comma comma, yea, yea, yea, yeah!

Thanks for the link, I stand corrected.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Outstanding

Mister Winky, outstanding work. Good luck in your investment career, and God bless your family. And for the rest of the forum members, keep all those success stories coming, they make my day (I have stop reading all the negativity in the news and is good to read something positive here).

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

sscritic wrote:If two people have two commas, isn't that one comma each? For two people to have two commas each, you need four commas. :)

Commas undergo mitosis, not meiosis ;-)
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Congratulations. It's fun, but a bit anticlimactic, no?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Congratuations!

I can only dream of the two comma club today, but I know now following the excellent recommendations the community has provided that I'm well on my way to joining.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations on the two commas, and on the first child :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

MrWinky wrote: It does feel really good to have made this milestone, but to be honest I don't feel rich;
Same, here. I don't feel rich. I don't fell any different than right out of college when I had 20k student loan and 20k car loan.

I guess I can buy a BMW or 100k car in cash or bigger house. But I don't need any of that and I doubt that would bring more happiness.

2 comma club does give a piece of mind but I really never had to worry about money my whole life luckily, knock on wood.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Welcome to the club :sharebeer
All the Best, | Joe
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I was once in the two comma club. It was my first trip to Costa Rica, and an ATM machine let me know. Exchange rate was ~275:1. I was rich for a college kid.
Topic Author
MrWinky

Post by MrWinky »

Thanks everybody, that's a lot of kindness to a complete stranger.

Yes, it was a bit anticlimactic. And I also have been extremely fortunate to stay continuously employed and never have to worry about money, other than the dull ache in the back of one's head that comes from having to manage it.

It's also a little artificial, since the figure includes all our emergency funds plus a lump sum from the sale of the old house, which will probably be plowed into another one sometime soon. Not having a mortgage does not imply housing expenses are gone :)

No big breaks, just steady habits over years.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Congrats!!! Occasion to celebrate
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Congrats. and Wow you guys have been through a lot of changes in a few years. Unfortunately, job uncertainty seems to be with us now. Getting to two commas is a nice milestone. If safe interest rates were at 6 or 7% you might feel a bit richer. I would keep an eye on your risk level and make sure it makes sense for your current situation. The past 4 or 5 years have been great for equities but as you know that isn't always the case. Sometimes a long bull market lulls us into a bit of false comfort -- that is what re balancing is for.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Congrats. and Wow you guys have been through a lot of changes in a few years. Unfortunately, job uncertainty seems to be with us now. Getting to two commas is a nice milestone. If safe interest rates were at 6 or 7% you might feel a bit richer. I would keep an eye on your risk level and make sure it makes sense for your current situation. The past 4 or 5 years have been great for equities but as you know that isn't always the case. Sometimes a long bull market lulls us into a bit of false comfort -- that is what re balancing is for.
Ignis

Post by Ignis »

sscritic wrote:

I was thinking of James Taylor's version of Handyman myself.

Congrats OP. I can't wait for the day that I get to share a story like this anonymously on the internet.
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congrats and nice post! Keep on truckin...
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

MrWinky wrote:Anyway, I can't share this with anyone in my day-to-day life except my wife
Congratulations.

I remember the day I stepped into the clubhouse. I took a screenshot of my Vanguard account. The only people that know I am a member is my Vanguard Flagship representative and whoever reads this post. I haven't even shared with my wife the fact that I am a member of this club. Money changes everything. Money doesn't give me happiness, it only gives me more options.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"