Newbie- Setting up our portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
hulio82

Newbie- Setting up our portfolio

Post by hulio82 »

Emergency funds: $15000 (available in my savings account)
Debt: Mortgage- approx $260K @ 3.65%; Car Payment Amount- Approx $1800 @ 1.05%
Tax Filing Status: Married filing jointly
Tax Rate: 28% Federal
State of Residence: Texas
Desired Asset Allocation: 65% stocks/35% bonds
Current total portfolio- low six figures

Current retirement assets
His 401K- Putnam
99.95% Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Inv- 0.18%
0.02% PIMCO Global Advantage Strategy Bd Ins- 0.70%
0.01% PIMCO Total Return Instl- 0.46%
0.01% Putnam Stable Value Fund- 0.37%
0.01% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Signal- 0.10%
0.00% PIMCO Real Return Instl- 0.48%

Company match- 6%

Her 401K- Fidelity
100% Fidelity® Puritan® Fund-Class K - 0.46%
Company match- 6%

Total Portfloio
80% his 401k
20% her 401k
0% his roth
0% her roth
100% Total

Contributions
$8900 his 401k (this is my contrib for rest of the year including employer matching)- last year, annual contrib was around 12k
$2600 her 401k (only assuming 3 more months till her company moves- includes employer match)
$5500 his roth
$5500 her roth

Available Funds

His 401K (putnam investments)
Oppenheimer Developing Markets Fund Class Y - 1.06%
American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund Class R-5 - 0.55%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.14%
Putnam International Capital Opportunities Fund Class Y - 1.18%
PIMCO Real Return Fund Institutional Class - 0.48%
PIMCO Total Return Fund Institutional Class - 0.46%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%
American Funds Fundamental Investors Fund Class R-5 - 0.36%
Putnam S&P 500 Fund: Y - 0.25%
T. Rowe Price New America Growth Fund - 0.81%
Putnam Equity Income Fund Class Y - 0.84%
Artisan Mid Cap Fund Investor Class - 1.29%
Neuberger Berman Genesis Fund Institutional Class - 0.86%
Perkins Mid Cap Value Fund Class I - 0.63%
Invesco Real Estate Fund R5 Class - 0.87%
Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund Investor Shares - 0.16%
Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%
Putnam Stable Value Fund: 25bps - 0.37%
Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 Fund Investor Shares - 0.16%
Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 Fund Investor Shares - 0.17%
Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund Investor Shares - 0.18%
Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund Investor Shares - 0.18%
Vanguard Target Retirement 2060 Fund Investor Shares - 0.18%
PIMCO All Asset Fund Institutional Class - 0.99%
PIMCO Global Advantage Strategy Bond Fund Institutional Class - 0.70%

Her 401 K- Fidelity
Large Cap- Stock investments
ABF LG CAP VAL INST (AADEX) - 0.59%
FID CONTRAFUND K (FCNKX) - 0.56%
SENTINEL COM STK I (SICWX) - 0.75%
SPTN 500 INDEX ADV (FUSVX) - 0.07%

Mid Cap- Stock investments
ARTISAN MID CAP VAL (ARTQX) - 1.20%
BARON GROWTH INST (BGRIX) - 1.05%
FID LOW PRICED STK K (FLPKX) - 0.68% (Short term trading fees of 1.5% for shares held less than 90 days)
MSIF MID CAP GRTH I (MPEGX) - 0.71%
SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV (FSEVX) - 0.07% (Short term trading fees of .75% for shares held less than 90 days)

Small Cap- Stock investments
ABF SM CAP VAL INST (AVFIX) - 0.84%
CONESTOGA SMALL CAP (CCASX) - 1.21%

International - Stock investments
FID DIVERSIFD INTL K (FDIKX) - 0.81% (Short term trading fees of 1% for shares held less than 30 days)
HARBOR INTL INST (HAINX) - 0.76%
SPTN INTL INDEX ADV (FSIVX) - 0.17% (Short term trading fees of 1% for shares held less than 90 days)

Stock Investments - Specialty
COHEN & STEERS RLTY (CSRSX) - 1.00%

Blended Investment
Investments you currently own FID PURITAN K (FPUKX) - 0.47%
FID STRAT REAL RET (FSRRX) - 0.77% (Short term trading fees of .75% for shares held less than 60 days)
JPM SMRTRET 2010 I (JSWIX) - 0.73%
JPM SMRTRET 2015 I (JSFIX) - 0.76%
JPM SMRTRET 2020 I (JTTIX) - 0.80%
JPM SMRTRET 2025 I (JNSIX) - 0.84%
JPM SMRTRET 2030 I (JSMIX) - 0.88%
JPM SMRTRET 2035 I (SRJIX) - 0.92%
JPM SMRTRET 2040 I (SMTIX) - 0.95%
JPM SMRTRET 2045 I (JSAIX) - 0.98%
JPM SMRTRET 2050 I (JTSIX) - 1.01%
JPM SMRTRET 2055 I (JFFIX) - 1.06%
JPM SMRTRET INCM I (JSIIX) - 0.71%

Bond Investments - Income
PIM TOTAL RT INST (PTTRX) - 0.46%
SPTN ST TR IDX ADV (FSBAX) - 0.10%
SPTN US BOND IDX ADV (FSITX) - 0.17%

Short-Term Investments
FID RET GOVT MM (FGMXX) - 0.42%

Both, him and her, are employed and total household income is approx 150K. However, her company is moving this summer so she will get a sev payout and then she wants to be home for a while. So it'll just be my income (approx 90K). We both don't have much experience or knowledge about investing so i'm trying to get more educated. Till now, we have been putting our money in savings account. i want to open IRAs for both and need some help in figuring out which funds to choose and other investment options.

My plan as of now:
1. Max out his 401K
2. OPen roth IRA for him @ Vanguard- looking at choosing a Vanguard target fund- the 2045 or 2050.
3. Open roth or Trad IRA for her

My Questions
1. What Vanguard 401K funds should i pick- i've been doing a lot of reading and from what i've read, the target fund- 2045 and 2050 seem good so i might go with one of those
2. Does it make sense to open a Roth or Trad IRA for her- given her situation with her work, i want to do what makes sense.
3. What other investment options can i look into? CD rates are very low and i don't mind parking a small % of my money there, but for someone who's very new to the investing scene i want something that i can keep up with/manage.
Last edited by hulio82 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kerplunk

Re: Newbie- Setting up our portfolio

Post by kerplunk »

Did you list all of your available 401(k) funds?
Laura

Post by Laura »

Also a list of all of the funds available in the her 401k with expense ratios? You want all of these accounts to blend together into one unified portfolio.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

kerplunk wrote:Did you list all of your available 401(k) funds?
Ok, how do i get that information? Do i just log into putnam's website and paste all the funds avaiable to choose from and their expense ratios?
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

hulio82 wrote:Ok, how do i get that information? Do i just log into putnam's website and paste all the funds avaiable to choose from and their expense ratios?
I'm not sure what "Putnam" is, but that sounds right. All we need are a list of mutual funds (with their expense ratios) that you can choose from in your 401(k). Also, please provide the same for your wife's 401(k), as Laura pointed out.
Laura

Post by Laura »

You need to look at the funds that are available through your plan. If you plan uses the Putnam website then yes, that is how you would do it. You would need to look at the funds available for her as well through whatever means her employer uses. If you find thousands of choices just post the two lowest cost options in each asset class.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

thanks a ton for the feedback. appreciate your patience. i uploaded the available funds. for my wife, i was able to break it down by type as well.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks. There are some good options there. Can you help us with a few more pieces of information? We need to know what percentage of the total portfolio each account represents and how much new money is going into each account. New money includes your contributions and matching funds. Please give us one dollar amount for each account.

xx% his 401k
xx% her 401k
0% his roth
0% her roth
100% Total

New Contributions:

$xx his 401k
$xx her 401k
$xx his roth
$xx her roth

This will help us give you some great suggestions.

Laura
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

just added the info. hopefully this is what you were looking for. thanks again for your feedback. truly appreciated.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Using your target 65/35 asset allocation, here is one way to set this up:

his 401k
34% Putnam S&P 500 Fund: Y - 0.25%
11.5% Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%
19.5% Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.14%
15% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%

her 401k
20% SPTN US BOND IDX ADV (FSITX) - 0.17%

New contributions in 2014:

his 401k
$3.5k Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.14%
$5.4k Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%

her 401k
$2.6k SPTN US BOND IDX ADV (FSITX) - 0.17%

his roth
$5.5k Vanguard Total Stock Market

her roth

Contributions in 2015:

his 401k
$4k Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.14%
$8k Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares - 0.10%

his roth

her roth

You can also transfer about $1k into the Vanguard Total Intl Stock Market fund in his 401k from the US stock funds there to maintain your target asset allocation. Look at your asset allocation once per year and rebalance using his 401k and you should be in great shape. This is very low cost, tax efficient, and broadly diversified.

Laura
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

hulio82 wrote:1. What Vanguard 401K funds should i pick- i've been doing a lot of reading and from what i've read, the target fund- 2045 and 2050 seem good so i might go with one of those
The best options in His 401k are:
  • (N/A) Putnam S&P 500 Fund Y Class (0.25%)
    (VSISX) Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Signal Shares (0.10%)
    (VTSGX) Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares (0.14%)
    (VBTSX) Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares (0.10%)
    One of the Target Retirement funds (0.16% - 0.18%)
The best options in Her 401k are:
  • (FUSVX) Spartan 500 Index Fund Advantage Class (0.07%)
    (FSEVX) Spartan Extended Market Index Fund Advantage Class (0.07%)
    (FSIVX) Spartan International Index Fund Advantage Class (0.17%) <-- This is developed markets only. It's missing emerging markets, small caps, and Canada.
    (FSITX) Spartan U.S. Bond Index Fund Advantage Class (0.17%)
With an AA of 65% stocks, 35% bonds, and 30% of stocks in international (which breaks down to 45% US stocks, 20% international stocks, and 35% bonds) you could have:

His 401k at Putnam -- 80%
25% (N/A) Putnam S&P 500 Fund (0.25%)
20% (VTSGX) Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Signal Shares (0.14%)
35% (VBTSX) Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Signal Shares (0.10%)

Her 401k at Fidelity -- 20%
11% (FUSVX) Spartan 500 Index Fund Advantage Class (0.07%)
9% (FSEVX) Spartan Extended Market Index Fund Advantage Class (0.07%) <-- Roughly 80% large caps (both 500 Index funds) plus 20% mid/small caps (Extended Market) makes up the total US stock market.

His Roth IRA at Vanguard -- 0%
0% (VTSMX) Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (0.17%)

Her Roth IRA at Vanguard -- 0%
0% (VTSMX) Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (0.17%)

The problem with holding TR funds is that although His 401k has excellent TR options, Her 401k does not. In most cases it's better to use all TR funds in all retirement accounts or no TR funds (and you pick a TR fund by the AA inside, not the date in the title).
2. Does it make sense to open a Roth or Trad IRA for her- given her situation with her work, i want to do what makes sense.
Yes, open two Roth IRAs (his and hers) and contribute. You have about four weeks left to contribute $5.5K each for 2013.
3. What other investment options can i look into? CD rates are very low and i don't mind parking a small % of my money there, but for someone who's very new to the investing scene i want something that i can keep up with/manage.
You could buy 
I savings bonds through Treasury Direct. These can be part of your retirement bond AA, a second tier of your emergency fund, or part of your short-term-needs fund (new car, fancy vacation, etc).
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

Thank you so much for your help! will let you know if i have any more questions.
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

One more Q- i was planning on opening a Roth IRA for me, but anythoughts on if a traditional would be a better way to go?

Also, I just did my taxes and i'm over the limit to claim any deductions for 2013, so is there any incentive to open an IRA before APril 15th?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

If you can't deduct an IRA then a Roth is the way to go.
Laura

Post by Laura »

The incentive for opening a 2013 roth before April 15, 2014 is that you miss the ability to ever get that space back. You want to open it for 2013 regardless of whether you get a tax deduction or not. You will appreciate the tax free space in the future.

Laura
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

Thanks! So, if i open a Roth for 2013 for me and my wife, for 2014- i should be able to do a Trad IRA then.

Also, i'm assuming i can only open one of each- either a Roth or Traditional- correct? or can i do a split- part of $5500 to a roth, remaining to Trad? Just asking for my knowledge.
Laura

Post by Laura »

You have an annual limit of $5.5k per person for an IRA of either type. You can put it all in one type of account (traditional or roth) or split it between the two if you can receive a partial deduction. However, it is often good to have some tax diversification in retirement accounts so you would have pre-tax 401k money with post tax roth money. This could work out nicely. Each year you can change where your contributions go but don't miss the chance to do your 2013 contributions before the deadline.

Laura
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

H everyone, so doing my mid year review and wanted to get some input based on recent updates/change. i did implement some of the recommendations from the earlier posts. they worked out great so far so many thanks!

Updates:
-Wife's job ended last month (employer moved to different state); She will receive severance for 2 months and then may look for another job or might just take some time off- undecided;
-We're thinking of starting a family- maybe start planning next year;
-thinking of purchasing a new car towards end of the year- want to be close to 20K, may go max upto 25K (unlikely though)

Emergency funds: 15K in Checking
Savings: $140K
Car: Paid off this month (no car payments)
Mortgage: 1.2k monthly ($258k balance @ 3.65% for 30 yrs)
Desired Asset Allocation: 80/20 or 90/10 (deciding to bet bit more aggressive, take more risk)

401K:
His (@ Putnam Investment)- 100% Vanguard Target 2050 (ER .18); balance is $68K
Her (@ Fidelity) - 100% Fidelity Puritan Fund Class K (ER .47); $29K

Roth IRA (Vanguard):
His- 100% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (ER .17); $5.5K
Her- 100% Vanguard 500 Index Fund Investor Shares (Er. 17); $3K

Taxable investing (Vanguard):
Joint account- 100% Vanguard 500 Index Fund Investor Shares; $5K

1. My next steps for this year- any thing i should reconsider?
- Planning on doubling the Vanguard Taxable account to 10K to take advantage of admiral shares- think this is a no brainer.
- Thinking of investing 3-5K in Vanguard Energy Fund Investor Shares (VGENX - ER .38)?- too many funds? should i just stick to the ones i have.
- Will wait till next year to figure out how much to put in RIRAs

2. Since wife no longer has a job, i'm planning on leaving her 401K as is (once i confirm Fidelity doesn't charge a Fee) till she find a new one- is this fine? or should i consider a backdoor Roth. As long as no fees, i may just leave it in there- maybe switch her allocation to a lower ER fund (SPTN 500 INDEX ADV (FUSVX) - 0.07% if they will still let me)

3. Since we will starting family planning soon, anything i need to consider from investing perspective? maybe scale back from a 90/10 to an 80/20 or 70/30 approach?

4. Should i use a chunk from $140K savings and pay down mortgage? initial thought is no since interest rate is 3.65%

5. Any thing else i should be considering for investing? Have been looking on this site quite a bit trying to get ideas, but also want to take it slow since i'm learning.

As always, TIA!
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

bumping this thread. thanks again in advance for your responses.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

I wouldn't put so much emphasis on getting admiral shares in the taxable account. Sure, it'd be nice, but you don't have admiral shares in either of your IRAs. Use up all of your tax advantaged space before doing anything in a taxable account. Keep in mind the ERs for the ETF equivalent of the TSM fund you have is the same as that of the admiral shares for the mutual fund.

What good would more funds do? I think you have too many now. You hold TSM in your IRA, but your wife holds the S&P in hers. Why not just pick one and stick with it throughout the portfolio?

I'd probably just leave her 401k where it is until she gets a new job and you know what's going on with her new employer's plan. Her current plan isn't the greatest, but it isn't horrible and it is already there. Sure you might be able to lower fees by rolling over to an IRA while she is job hunting, but one year's worth of fees isn't going to have much of an effect (and I'm not clear as to whether or not you are currently backdooring her Roth).
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Oh, and is she still funding her IRA? She still has $2500 worth of space (I'm assuming the existing $3k came from 2014 contributions). Max that thing out. I'd sell assets in the taxable account to fill the tax advantaged space if needed. If you do that, read the wiki on tax loss harvesting first. Ask questions as needed.

Also, you might want to start a new thread for new questions. I think a lot of people look at the post count when seeing general portfolio help threads. Threads with a lot of replies usually mean that person is already being helped. That might be why you aren't getting many replies to your new questions.
Last edited by investor1 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

investor1 wrote:Oh, and is she still funding her IRA? She still has $2500 worth of space (I'm assuming the existing $3k came from 2014 contributions). Max that thing out. I'd sell assets in the taxable account to fill the tax advantaged space if needed. If you do that, read the wiki on tax loss harvesting first. Ask questions as needed.

Also, you might want to start a new thread for new questions. I think a lot of people look at the post account when seeing general portfolio help threads. Threads with a lot of replies usually mean that person is already being helped. That might be why you aren't getting many replies to your new questions.
thanks for the response and suggestions. the IRA amounts were for 2013. We have yet to contribute for 2014. am holding off because not sure how much we may be able to do based on our income. i have an idea, but if Wife gets a new job, then it will throw my numbers off.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Once the Roths have been open for five years, you can withdraw the contributions (not the growth) whenever you need to without plenty (other than a smaller retirement account). Obviously, that isn't an ideal thing to do, but it does give you some flexibiliy in case SHTF beyond what your emergency fund can handle. There are also exceptions for withdrawing certain limits for thing like education expenses, medical expenses, first home purchase, etc.

Why hold assets in a taxable account when you have unused tax advantaged space?
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

investor1 wrote:Why hold assets in a taxable account when you have unused tax advantaged space?
I guess i'm missing something here. we both are on track to max out our 401Ks. waiting on funding our roths early next year once i know what our contribution limits are. what other unused tax advantage space do i have?
investor1

Post by investor1 »

hulio82 wrote:the IRA amounts were for 2013. We have yet to contribute for 2014. am holding off because not sure how much we may be able to do based on our income.
You mentioned the money being from 2013 (maybe that was a typo?). Either way at least she still has space. The limit for 2014 is $5500. You have until the tax deadline (mid April-ish of 2015) to make the contribution.
Topic Author
hulio82

Post by hulio82 »

investor1 wrote:
hulio82 wrote:the IRA amounts were for 2013. We have yet to contribute for 2014. am holding off because not sure how much we may be able to do based on our income.
You mentioned the money being from 2013 (maybe that was a typo?). Either way at least she still has space. The limit for 2014 is $5500. You have until the tax deadline (mid April-ish of 2015) to make the contribution.
yes, we both will probably max out our IRAs in Jan 2015 for 2014 contributions. but apart from that and 401k, don't really have any other retirement investment options (work doesn't offer anything else) which is why i was looking into taxable investing.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

If you don't have enough cash on hand to fill the IRAs in January, I would sell the needed amount from the taxable account and put it in the Roths. Minimize the gains that are taxable and pay that bill now in favor of gains that are tax free and have a lot of time to grow. Look into tax loss harvesting if you like. It might help avoid paying a tax bill now.