Allan Roth on "Richest Guy in the Graveyard"

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Fallible

Allan Roth on "Richest Guy in the Graveyard"

Post by Fallible »

I just read Vanguard's interview with Boglehead Allan Roth and liked his perspective on the true role of our portfolios: "Money is stored energy that lets you determine what you want to do with the rest of your life," he said. In other words, the portfolio's purpose isn't to produce income, but to be consumed to fuel your life. "The goal isn't to be the richest guy in the graveyard."

Link: https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... ealthLogic
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
jimkinny

Re: Allan Roth on "Richest Guy in the Graveyard"

Post by jimkinny »

thanks for the link

I have learned a lot from reading Allan Roth. At the depth of the last market melt down he wrote something to the effect that he wished he could bottle the smell of fear and open that bottle when he had forgotten what it was like.

jim
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Fallible wrote:I just read Vanguard's interview with Boglehead Allan Roth and liked his perspective on the true role of our portfolios: "Money is stored energy that lets you determine what you want to do with the rest of your life," he said. In other words, the portfolio's purpose isn't to produce income, but to be consumed to fuel your life. "The goal isn't to be the richest guy in the graveyard."

Link: https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... ealthLogic
Basically, that means viewing the portfolio as *deferred compensation* to be consumed.

To a certain degree, me too, but not so much for its entirety!!
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

"One area he walks clients through is the Roth versus traditional IRA and the Roth 401(k) versus traditional 401(k). The ability to convert from a pre-tax traditional IRA to a post-tax Roth IRA—and recharacterize back to where you started—opens all kinds of opportunities for managing risk around future tax rates and managing losses and gains, given the amount of time allowed to decide whether to recharacterize."

I thought I understood the benefits of converting traditional to Roth but what does he mean by "...recharacterize back to where you started ... given the amount of time allowed to decide whether to recharacterize." ?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
rob

Post by rob »

Puff piece full of platitudes that mean nothing... money is energy - what nonsense.

I wish the people that advocate a 2-3 fund index everything would explain how real working people are able to do that..... I have a dozen accounts in different artificial buckets (her roth, his 401k, her 403b, his trad ira, taxable, 529 plans e.t.c.) spread across various providers...... I own duplicate funds all over the place because of inability to rebalance or to counter stuff not available in a 401K plan e.t.c. For most of us it's a theoretical thought process not something we are able to do.

Short of actual real reform of all this stuff, it's not possible for most people to live with 2-3 funds. Neither of those will happen in the US because of vested interests.

Now... once you're retired, sure - rollover everything to a single provider would certainly help but you're still stuck with lots of buckets.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

bengal22 wrote:"One area he walks clients through is the Roth versus traditional IRA and the Roth 401(k) versus traditional 401(k). The ability to convert from a pre-tax traditional IRA to a post-tax Roth IRA—and recharacterize back to where you started—opens all kinds of opportunities for managing risk around future tax rates and managing losses and gains, given the amount of time allowed to decide whether to recharacterize."

I thought I understood the benefits of converting traditional to Roth but what does he mean by "...recharacterize back to where you started ... given the amount of time allowed to decide whether to recharacterize." ?
I think he is advocating roth conversions in multiple Roth accounts every year and then deciding by Oct 15 of the following year to recharacterize the losers to reduce taxes paid on the conversions. Of course, as every intelligent investor knows, stocks that suffer a short term loss frequently become long term growth investments which an investor will miss out on if he recharacterizes solely because there is a short term loss. Better strategy for roth conversions is to convert under valued assets into a roth and let them appreciate long term on a tax free basis for 20 or so years since no one can predict long term performance based on whether an investment declined over a period of 9 months. Another strategy is to transfer an asset which has incurred a loss to a roth and then replace it in the roth with a better performing investment which will be exempt from income tax.

I don't know what he means about opportunities for managing risk around future tax rates since the window for a roth recharacterization is so short (Oct 15th of the following year). Maybe he thinks that if Congress changes the laws like it did on Jan 1 of this year that taxpayers would have a 9 month window to decide if it would be tax efficient to undo a roth conversion. But recharacterizations negate the purpose of a roth conversion which is to reduce the amount of retirement benefits that will be taxed in retirement. If an investor recharacterizes 25% of each years conversions in order to harvest the tax loss, the amount of the roth account exempt from RMDs will be reduced by 25%. Of course, if each year the investor converts 2X the amount that he can afford to pay taxes on, he can recharacterize 50% of the amount converted to stay within an acceptable limit of taxation but this is a lot of work to do each to do each year for the sake of tax efficiency. If an investor consistently generates large losses in roth IRAs by the Oct 15 of the year following a roth conversions there is something wrong with investment selection.
afan

Post by afan »

IF you have multiple accounts that you cannot combine, you can still have effectively the same investments in each one. I have separate retirement accounts, but total market index funds (from different providers) in all of them. The only problem is if you dont' have reasonable choices. It is still good advice, just out of reach for some people.

I also LOVE this
Roth's fee is not based on assets but on time. "It's the doctor model—you come back when you need help," he said. "That model is not right for most advisors." The model works for him as someone who is already financially secure.
It is what I have been saying about reasonable costs for financial advice. Most of the time you don't need any advice at all, so it is wasteful to pay for it. You should ask for advice, pay a fair fee for it, then not get charged again until you again ask for advice. This would be way cheaper. Of course, as he notes, it may be difficult for advisors to make a living like this, they would need a much larger supply of people seeking their advice. But this puts them in the same boat as other professionals. Not just doctors, but dentists, accountants, lawyers...

Where I could not disagree more
The goal isn't to be the richest guy in the graveyard
Yes, it is.

Or rather, to be as rich at death as you can be. There is no way I am going to be among the richest guys in the graveyard. I am never going to catch people like Buffett and Gates. But I certainly hope to continue accumulating through retirement. If I am spending down assets I will have done something very wrong. Crossing my fingers, but I hope it never comes to this.
Last edited by afan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

The biggest problem is the uncertainty. From here, I could live one minute or 60 years. It makes a big difference in planning.

Most Bogleheads are going to die with a lot of money, because we plan for 95-98% success rates and 2-4% SWRs. By definition most of the time won't be the worst case scenario.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

afan wrote: Where I could not disagree more
Yes, it is.

Or rather, to be as rich at death as you can be. There is no way I am going to be among the richest guys in the graveyard. I am never going to catch people like Buffett and Gates. But I certainly hope to continue accumulating through retirement. If I am spending down assets I will have done something very wrong. Crossing my fingers, but I hope it never comes to this.
Why does that mean you have done something wrong? I see nothing wrong with spending down assets, so long as you don't run out of money of course. Such an approach would rule out the use of SPIAs, which are probably the best way for people with relatively limited assets to make sure that they don't run out of money before they die.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
midareff

Post by midareff »

"a tough message for people who have been saving for decades to suddenly be told it's okay to spend it down." It has been my hardest retirement transition to go from a 35% savings rate to decumulation. .. not that decumulation has been a reality the last several years. Seems like the more I take out the faster NAVs go up.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

letsgobobby wrote:
Most Bogleheads are going to die with a lot of money, because we plan for 95-98% success rates and 2-4% SWRs
My Mom (a true Boglehead, although unaware of it), had a negative SWR until the day she died, at 98 1/2. We kept saying "what are you saving it for?" Even with major in-home health care costs toward the end, she was very frugal.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Why would you want to be the richest guy in the graveyard? If I have 10 million net worth, I am not living on 20k so that my heirs get 50 million instead of 25 million when I die. Ideally I would die broke but that is far too aggressive for me. Something like 5-10 years of living expenses sounds about right. The only reason I can see to have more money is if you want to leave an IRA to your kids/grandkids.

afan wrote:
Yes, it is.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

midareff wrote:"a tough message for people who have been saving for decades to suddenly be told it's okay to spend it down." It has been my hardest retirement transition to go from a 35% savings rate to decumulation. .. not that decumulation has been a reality the last several years. Seems like the more I take out the faster NAVs go up.
Probably much tougher mentally in 2008-09 than in 2010-11-12-13-14. Becoming a decumulator in a down market for a lifelong saver must be the hardest thing imaginable.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Indeed.

Thank you for sharing.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

Thanks for the kind words. A few comments:

Later in life, it's nearly impossible to get someone who has spent beyond their means to change behavior. While a bit easier, it's also very hard to get someone who has spent their whole life accumulating to suddenly have permission to start spending it down. I'm sure I will fall into that category as I'm sure most Bogleheads will as well (since investors tend to be savers).

Next, I've always said investing is simple but I've never said taxes were. Asset location is key after the asset allocation has been selected. A Roth conversion is essentially buying out the Government's share in ownership of an IRA. If one does multiple conversions and one or two of the investments (one investment per conversion) performs poorly, then the recharacterization (up to 22 months later if done right) is like hitting that undo button and making the government buy back their share at the original price.

Finally to the person who wants to die rich - I wish I were one of your kids!
rob

Post by rob »

afan wrote:IF you have multiple accounts that you cannot combine, you can still have effectively the same investments in each one. I have separate retirement accounts, but total market index funds (from different providers) in all of them.
Not really.... In order to rebalance you need to add more funds to accts that have grown too far.... Then different accounts are different sizes, so you have to jump thru hoops to get into balance. Sometimes you cannot reach minimums on some funds (or they are closed or you cannot use cheaper admiral funds) and you have to make more compromises...... So if you use say 3 funds and have 6 accounts (which is easy for you and spouse) - you could end up with close to 18 funds..... It's nonsense. Sure you could use target funds... but since the largest of my buckets is taxable... that's not happening.

That all just using Vanguard only... then add 401K's that are locked in with limited options as you mention..... and it steps up a notch.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Thank you for commenting Allan!

I am intrigued by the concept of re-characterization into a Roth. But I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Is it just a partial conversion from a traditional IRA/401k into a Roth account, where the portion transferred is an asset that has depreciated?

As an example, say I have a fund in a tIRA which I bought for $10,000, but it has now fallen to $7,000. I transfer that specific fund into a Roth account, and pay the (say) 25% tax on the $7,000.

Originally, I sheltered $2,500, and now I’m paying $1,750 in taxes. So in effect, the government has subsidized $750 or 25%, of my loss.

Do I have this right?
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

rob wrote:
afan wrote:IF you have multiple accounts that you cannot combine, you can still have effectively the same investments in each one. I have separate retirement accounts, but total market index funds (from different providers) in all of them.
Not really.... In order to rebalance you need to add more funds to accts that have grown too far.... Then different accounts are different sizes, so you have to jump thru hoops to get into balance. Sometimes you cannot reach minimums on some funds (or they are closed or you cannot use cheaper admiral funds) and you have to make more compromises...... So if you use say 3 funds and have 6 accounts (which is easy for you and spouse) - you could end up with close to 18 funds..... It's nonsense. Sure you could use target funds... but since the largest of my buckets is taxable... that's not happening.

That all just using Vanguard only... then add 401K's that are locked in with limited options as you mention..... and it steps up a notch.
You could have a have the same 3 funds in all accounts. You may end up owing the same fund in multiple accounts but you could own only three funds. The problem comes in with tax legacy. For example, I started my indexing with S&P 500 funds since it was before Jack came out with the total stock fund. So rather than sell the S&P 500 and pay taxes, I buy an extended market index fund which is a completion fund of all US stocks not in the S&P 500. That adds to complexity. And because I think certain CDs bought directly from banks and credit unions are better than bonds, that adds to complexity. But the complexity is for a reason.

I typically move clients out of their 401Ks to simplify and get access to lower cost funds and greater simplicity. If still working, you may not have that option. There are many exceptions to rolling over funds to an IRA. I've seen really lousy 401Ks that have a legacy stable value contract with an insurance company that, as long as the rate stays high, is worth keeping. When it comes to Federal employees, I typically recommend rolling over non Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) assets into the TSP for access to even lower costs and especially the G fund which I'd kill to have access to.

Every situation is different but the goal of minimizing expenses and emotions and maximizing diversification and discipline remains constant. Taxes are an expense too.
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

bhsince87 wrote:Thank you for commenting Allan!

I am intrigued by the concept of re-characterization into a Roth. But I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Is it just a partial conversion from a traditional IRA/401k into a Roth account, where the portion transferred is an asset that has depreciated?

As an example, say I have a fund in a tIRA which I bought for $10,000, but it has now fallen to $7,000. I transfer that specific fund into a Roth account, and pay the (say) 25% tax on the $7,000.

Originally, I sheltered $2,500, and now I’m paying $1,750 in taxes. So in effect, the government has subsidized $750 or 25%, of my loss.

Do I have this right?
Not quite. At the 25% marginal tax bracket, if you convert $10K, you pay $2,500 in taxes - 25% to buy out the government's share. Then if the value drops from $10,000 to $7,000, you recharacterize making the government buy back it's 25% at the original price and get the $2,500 back. If you did 3 conversions and two went from $10K each to $13K, you don't recharacterize those. Only the one that lost value would be recharacterized.

WARNING - this is not simple so make sure you understand before doing.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Later in life, it's nearly impossible to get someone who has spent beyond their means to change behavior. While a bit easier, it's also very hard to get someone who has spent their whole life accumulating to suddenly have permission to start spending it down. I'm sure I will fall into that category as I'm sure most Bogleheads will as well (since investors tend to be savers).
Amen to that. I'm exactly in that camp. My brain has become rewired so that I take no pleasure at all in spending. Need a new car, can well afford it, but I just can't get that "new car" thrill. I just keep looking and looking and thinking and thinking. I feel really good when I drive back home in my old car thinking about all the money I didn't spend. If this keeps up I'll have really happy heirs who will be wondering why I lived like a monk.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

OK, now I think I’m getting it.

You’re “undoing” or reversing a previous traditional-to- Roth conversion, and sending the money back to a traditional account.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand this!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
afan

Post by afan »

Funny. Some people with $5M constantly chafe at limitations in their spending, and wish they had $10M. Some people with $10M feel the same way, and wish for $20M. Others, at each level of networth, cannot believe how much they have, or how little they need.

I spend money on things I need, and a few things I want, but I don't respond enough to the consumer culture to have much in the way of "wants". So I save and invest the rest. It is not a choice between self imposed poverty vs reasonable consumption. It is responsible frugality vs wasting money. I am not looking forward to spending the money I have saved. I am looking forward to saving more. I expect VTI dividends, and I suppose Social Security, to more than cover expenses. What should I do with the rest? Blow it on a lot of expensive junk I don't want? My 20 year old car runs just fine. Take lavish European trips when I would rather stay home? Plenty of things to do around the house. Go to movies in a theater when there are movies on TV for free?

Since I watch TV for free I see the commercials. I then wonder why anyone would buy the things they advertise. The vast majority of it I would not want if it were free.

I hope my kids are glad to get the money.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

afan wrote: I hope my kids are glad to get the money.
They will probably gladly spend it on all the stuff they see on TV.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

afan wrote:
I hope my kids are glad to get the money.
Give it to 'em now. They might appreciate European trips, lavish or otherwise. Wealth can be wasted on seniors.
Topic Author
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Allan Roth wrote:Thanks for the kind words. A few comments:

Later in life, it's nearly impossible to get someone who has spent beyond their means to change behavior. While a bit easier, it's also very hard to get someone who has spent their whole life accumulating to suddenly have permission to start spending it down. I'm sure I will fall into that category as I'm sure most Bogleheads will as well (since investors tend to be savers)....
Allan, first of all, thanks for replying to the questions here. Second, it may be not only a mindset developed from long years of saving that makes the transition to decumulator difficult, but the underlying uncertainties in life that make it nearly impossible to truly know whether we've saved enough. Thus, we may save more out of fear of those uncertainties than of frugal habit. I know I did. But whatever drives our saving, your article nicely brought out the need to prepare to spend.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
mnvalue

Post by mnvalue »

rob wrote:I wish the people that advocate a 2-3 fund index everything would explain how real working people are able to do that..... I have a dozen accounts in different artificial buckets (her roth, his 401k, her 403b, his trad ira, taxable, 529 plans e.t.c.) spread across various providers...... I own duplicate funds all over the place because of inability to rebalance or to counter stuff not available in a 401K plan e.t.c.
You have 1500+ posts here, so this probably isn't necessary, but I'll say it anyway... I, for one, would be happy to try to help you, if you post your own thread using the suggested template: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
DonDraper

Post by DonDraper »

I would like to be rich in the graveyard because that money will then transfer to my children.
Blues

Post by Blues »

While I don't at all mind spending where necessary and enjoy spending on things that make DW (and myself) happy, I still find myself saving a good portion of my pension monthly.

I think that the benefit of saving and investing all those years before early retirement got us used to living (a fulfilling lifestyle) on less.

That said, I agree with the notion that money is a tool to be enjoyed and employed rather than amassed simply to become the richest guy in the graveyard...(taking into consideration any bequests).
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I have found when you are a saver and have lived nicely but below your means for decades it is extremely hard to change. You have altered your financial DNA and still frame spending decisions in the accumulation mode. I know I could spend a lot more but have altered my lifestyle and dreams to the extent that I am happy with what I have. I don't crave a Lexus or Audi, a world cruise or country club member ship. A good bottle of wine and dinner with friends at a good restaurant leaves me smiling as does playing with grandchildren.

I hope to alter this accumulation mode DNA a bit but it remains a work in progress.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Dandy wrote:I have found when you are a saver and have lived nicely but below your means for decades it is extremely hard to change. You have altered your financial DNA and still frame spending decisions in the accumulation mode. I know I could spend a lot more but have altered my lifestyle and dreams to the extent that I am happy with what I have. I don't crave a Lexus or Audi, a world cruise or country club member ship. A good bottle of wine and dinner with friends at a good restaurant leaves me smiling...I hope to alter this accumulation mode DNA a bit but it remains a work in progress.
Well said, Dandy.
marbleous

Post by marbleous »

letsgobobby wrote:
All you have to do is minimize the amount of time your kids watch commercial TV.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

marbleous wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
All you have to do is minimize the amount of time your kids watch commercial TV.
LOL. TV is so 80's.

Kids don't watch TV because they are surfing the internet to find the stuff they want.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

bengal22 wrote:"One area he walks clients through is the Roth versus traditional IRA and the Roth 401(k) versus traditional 401(k). The ability to convert from a pre-tax traditional IRA to a post-tax Roth IRA—and recharacterize back to where you started—opens all kinds of opportunities for managing risk around future tax rates and managing losses and gains, given the amount of time allowed to decide whether to recharacterize."

plus 1

I don't understand what he was trying to convey myself.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

letsgobobby wrote:The biggest problem is the uncertainty. From here, I could live one minute or 60 years. It makes a big difference in planning.

Most Bogleheads are going to die with a lot of money, because we plan for 95-98% success rates and 2-4% SWRs. By definition most of the time won't be the worst case scenario.
What exactly is a 95-98% success rate?

How does one plan for such a success rate?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I hope that my boys understand how difficult it is to accumulate money, manage it, and make work 100% for their future, and not the hear and now. It's just credit printed on paper. I hope they fall in love with Bolgehead principles in general. I hope they get jobs that mean something to them and they pour their hearts into it. Hard work is the principal that built most wealth, and it's hard work going forward that keeps it. We Americans who understand how privileged we're to live in this great nation. Allan, thanks for level headed, easy to grasp, articles.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Topic Author
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Blues wrote:While I don't at all mind spending where necessary and enjoy spending on things that make DW (and myself) happy, I still find myself saving a good portion of my pension monthly.

I think that the benefit of saving and investing all those years before early retirement got us used to living (a fulfilling lifestyle) on less.

That said, I agree with the notion that money is a tool to be enjoyed and employed rather than amassed simply to become the richest guy in the graveyard...(taking into consideration any bequests).
Ben Franklin would agree with you: "The use of money is all the advantage there is in having money." :happy
Toons

Post by Toons »

Fallible wrote:
Blues wrote:While I don't at all mind spending where necessary and enjoy spending on things that make DW (and myself) happy, I still find myself saving a good portion of my pension monthly.

Ben Franklin would agree with you: "The use of money is all the advantage there is in having money." :happy

+3 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

manwithnoname wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:The biggest problem is the uncertainty. From here, I could live one minute or 60 years. It makes a big difference in planning.

Try going to firecalc.com, plug in your approximate numbers and the answer to your question will be self evident.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Thanks, Mr. Roth. Lot to think about. Lot of things to work on.
Fallible wrote:"The goal isn't to be the richest guy in the graveyard."
or the poorest surviving spouse sleeping under a bridge.

Sleeping under a bridge is what a 95% success rate looks like 5% of the time.

It's the task of plotting an acceptable path between those twin goals that's the challenge. Given the suggestions to spend more in retirement and the unknowns of life span, future market returns, and expenses, I've given up on the goal of leaving enough for the kids.
Last edited by RadAudit on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

hicabob wrote:
manwithnoname wrote:

Try going to firecalc.com, plug in your approximate numbers and the answer to your question will be self evident.
LOL. I did that before I had 50% gains in equities and came up with 100% probability of success using 105 different calculations. Anyway I don't believe in Monte Carlo simulations.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

manwithnoname wrote:
hicabob wrote:
manwithnoname wrote:

LOL. I did that before I had 50% gains in equities and came up with 100% probability of success using 105 different calculations. Anyway I don't believe in Monte Carlo simulations.

A functioning crystal ball would be nice - but barring that it would seem a statistical approach is the best we have.
J295

Post by J295 »

Fallible -- Thanks for posting this.
Allan and the other posters -- Enjoyed the sharing.
All -- Carpe Diem.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

hicabob wrote:
manwithnoname wrote:
hicabob wrote:
manwithnoname wrote:

A functioning crystal ball would be nice - but barring that it would seem a statistical approach is the best we have.
Not exactly.

better approach is to have 2X the assets you expect to spend in retirement.
afan

Post by afan »

This implies a forecast that investment returns and inflation will not combine to reduce the real value of assets by more than 50%. This is a reasonably conservative forecast, but it is still a forecast. To estimate the risk that the real value of your assets could decline by more than 50%, then you can do a deterministic approach, or some sort of simulation.

But picking some number that represents a multiple of assets over projected expenses hardly relieves you of forecasting.

As noted above, saving means cutting the risk of sleeping under a bridge. Or less dramaticaly, having money for health care not covered by insurance. Losing your job and being out of work for a long time. More security against a real economic downturn. Not a brief recession like the last one, but a real Depression.

I suppose that in addition to having frugal parents, we established our spending patterns when we entered the working world. Instead of buying in an area typical of people at my work, we bought into a nice, but much less expensive neighborhood. Our neighbors and friends were a lot more likely to be teachers than doctors or lawyers. They have nice lives, nice homes, roofs over their heads, kids doing well. I cannot see that they are any less happy than my wealthies acquaintences. But they do not spend anything like my professional colleagues.

So far my kids are cheaper than I am. "A NEW shirt? Goodwill not good enough for you, your highness?" But they think I should spend more on myself. Some nonsense about my "station in life".
Topic Author
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

RadAudit wrote:Thanks, Mr. Roth. Lot to think about. Lot of things to work on.
or the poorest surviving spouse sleeping under a bridge. ...
Just to note that "Fallible wrote" it, but I was quoting Allan Roth's vivid line (although "sleeping under a bridge" is equally powerful).
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

RadAudit wrote:Thanks, Mr. Roth. Lot to think about. Lot of things to work on.
or the poorest surviving spouse sleeping under a bridge.

Sleeping under a bridge is what a 95% success rate looks like 5% of the time.

It's the task of plotting an acceptable path between those twin goals that's the challenge. Given the suggestions to spend more in retirement and the unknowns of life span, future market returns, and expenses, I've given up on the goal of leaving enough for the kids.
More likely as the money dwindled we would cut our expenses. I doubt many bogleheads will be sleeping under bridges even with a long period of subpar market returns.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Manwithnoname:

It is a rate of withdrawal from a portfolio that will not run out of money during a certain period.

"Success rates" are usually based on past performance and there are no guarantees.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
freddie

Post by freddie »

That approach means you work an extra 5+ years to handle a situation that only comes up 5% of the time. You lower your risk of running out of money by making it a certainty that you will have less time to do what you want. Is that a worthwhile tradeoff? Depends what the failure case is. If means my vacation home is 2 blocks from the beach instead of on it, I can handle that risk. If it means I am eating alpo, I am saving more. And of course a lot depends on how you feel about your job.

manwithnoname wrote:
Not exactly.

better approach is to have 2X the assets you expect to spend in retirement.
Last edited by freddie on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I am doing the same conversion thing again this year with three new Roths and may add a fourth. I have until October 2015 (September to be on the safe side) to recharacterize any of them. There are additional rules for reconverting the recharacterized assets. I will review Lange's book on Roths and/or the BH threads about recharacterization/reconverting timing if I end up recharacterizing. I think it is an excellent tax planning tool.
tj

Post by tj »

DonDraper wrote:I would like to be rich in the graveyard because that money will then transfer to my children.

Wouldn't you rather enjoy the wealth with your children while you are alive?