Percentage of assets at Vanguard also active vs index

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
FelixTheCat

Percentage of assets at Vanguard also active vs index

Post by FelixTheCat »

I'm curious about Boglehead statistics today. I can't find what I am searching.

Are there statistics indicating what percentage of your investment assets are at Vanguard? Do most Bogleheads have 80-90-100 percent of their money at Vanguard?

Also, what percentage of your assets are in index funds vs actively managed funds?
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
steve r

Re: Percentage of assets at Vanguard also active vs index

Post by steve r »

100 percent index for both stocks and bonds. About a third a non-broad market index. Only about a third at Vanguard. Steve
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

0% of our investments are at Vanguard, but we do hold a lot of Vanguard products (VTI, VEU, VNQ, VTSGX, etc.) Approximately 90% of our holdings can be considered index funds.
He/She:41/40, Kids:8/4 | Stock (72%): 20% US LrgCap, 20% Intl Developed, 8% US MidCap, 8% US SmlCap, 7% Intl EM & Frontier, 5% RE, 4% JnkBnd | Bond (25%): 21% USIndx, 4% TIPS | Commodities (3%)
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

I do not have a Vanguard account, so $0 with them directly. However, I do hold several of their ETFs and MFs via other places. I have about 20% in active funds due to the choices offered by my 401(k).
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Equities are 100% indexed and in Vanguard mutual funds held at Vanguard.

All fixed income in my 401(k) is indexed and in a Vanguard mutual fund held at a platform other than Vanguard. All fixed income outside my 401(k) is in PenFed CDs (neither indexed nor at Vanguard).

I think that puts me roughly 86% indexed/Vanguard and 14% non-indexed/non-Vanguard.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
TroutMD

Post by TroutMD »

We have about 70% at Vanguard and the rest is at Fidelity.

The ONLY reason some is with Fidelity is because that is where my wife's employers 401K stuff is at. If she ever left/quit, that would be transferred to Vanguard.

I did not include in the above, but we use Wells Fargo solely for our banking purposes... checking and savings.

100% of equities are indexed... Actually that's a lie, less than 1% is 'gamble money' that own about three separate stocks.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

70% of mine is with Vanguard. The other 30% is in the TSP.
Steve | Semper Fi
mhc

Post by mhc »

50% Fidelity (work related)
50% Vanguard (non-work)

100% Index
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
deikel

Post by deikel »

Fidelity/Vanguard about 80/20
All funds about 95/5 stock bond
of those about 60 index/40 sector funds

I am a big fan of sector funds, so I prefer Fidelity - but having both helps keeping perspective and options open.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

My TIRA at Vanguard in all index funds, 45% total US stock, 15% total international stock, 40% total bond, all mutual funds admiral shares no ETF's - 60% of total portfolio.
Wife's 401k at Vanguard Target 2020 ............................................................................................................................... - 13% of total portfolio
Fixed annuity at Fidelity @ 2.75% .................................................................................................................................... - 26% of total portfolio
My ROTH 401k at brand x firm through work ....................................................................................................................... - 1% of total portfolio

In one year the annuity will mature and will be rolled to Vanguard into index funds, re-balance at the same time to 60/40 index for 86% of total portfolio assuming flat gains.

In some people's opinion this would seem too risky for a 63 year old, but I count SS and my wife's DB pension on the safe side of retirement income. Those two sources will be 2/3 of retirement income after age 70 and would be sufficient to survive. Wife's 401k will roll to Vanguard index funds next year in separate IRA. Roth will continue to grow, but in Vanguard after retirement.

After reading Rick Ferri's "The Power of Passive Investing" and recognizing several things he mentioned that had happened to me at Fidelity I have become a Vanguard convert. Please pass the Koolaid.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

80% Fidelity
20% Schwab
In my Fidelity account 27% is in Vanguard funds.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

70% at Vanguard, 30% at Fidelity.

80% index, 20% active. Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities is actively managed.
Wiki
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Stocks: All VG Indexed
Bonds: All VG Managed

Excluding bank instruments,95% VG
All the Best, | Joe
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

100% Vanguard
100% Index funds
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Vanguard = 41%
Fidelity = 32%
401k (SV) and CDs = 27%

Active vs Index:
Equity: Active = 43%, Passive = 57%
FI: Active = 100% although most are low cost Vanguard funds
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Vanguard - 20% - 80% equity indexed, 10% active equity, 10% fixed income
Fidelity - 10% - 75% equity indexed, domestic and foreign, 25% active - domestic
Employer (401k) - 50% of which 1/2 is indexed both equities and fixed income, 1/2 is actively managed at spouses retirement plan :annoyed
Brokerage - 20% - low turnover individual securities
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Taylor Larimore

Vanguard for simplicity and performance.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

imgritz wrote:I'm curious about Boglehead statistics today. I can't find what I am searching.

Are there statistics indicating what percentage of your investment assets are at Vanguard? Do most Bogleheads have 80-90-100 percent of their money at Vanguard?
imgritz:

100% of our investments have been with Vanguard since 1986 and we greatly appreciate the simplicity and performance.

Performance report: How Vanguard funds stacked up

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

90% of assets are at Vanguard.

80% of those are indexed.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Schwab 63%
Vanguard 15%
Price 13%
Fidelity 9%
artthomp

Post by artthomp »

100% at Vanguard
100% indexed
Art
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

17% vanguard
18% price
10 % savings bonds
55% 401

Index funds 52%
Savings bonds and stable value 25%
23% managed funds
dbr

Post by dbr »

So when people say "with" or "at" xyz, does that mean that one has an account at xyz or that one is invested in the funds offered by xyz, xyz being a mutual fund company for example. How would it be described if I have a brokerage account at Vanguard Brokerage Services none of which is invested in a Vanguard mutual fund or ETF?
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

dbr wrote:So when people say "with" or "at" xyz, does that mean that one has an account at xyz or that one is invested in the funds offered by xyz, xyz being a mutual fund company for example. How would it be described if I have a brokerage account at Vanguard Brokerage Services none of which is invested in a Vanguard mutual fund or ETF?
A good point. I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to the underlying investments, rather than the custodians for same, but I could be wrong.

All the same, I tried making my post upthread as clear as possible regarding both the underlying investments and the custodians.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

70% Vanguard
21% I Bonds
9% immediate annuity
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)