TSP on Vanguard's Linked Account Page

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
communipaw

TSP on Vanguard's Linked Account Page

Post by communipaw »

I had the TSP set up on the linked accounts section of Vanguard's "Balances and Holdings" but a few months ago, although the TSP refreshed, I stopped seeing it as a component of my Asset Mix on the Home Page.
Vanguard told me today that likely the TSP had changed something in connection with Cashedge and that I have to go back in and re-categorize the C, F, G, I S, accounts as stock, bond, cash etc. As far as I can tell there is no commercial listing for the TSP funds and I forget now what I used when I set it up on Vanguard's linked account section.
What do you use for your TSP funds' category, style, etc. ?
nash031

Re: TSP on Vanguard's Linked Account Page

Post by nash031 »

I use Personal Capital, and it lists the funds in the following AA categories:

G and F: Domestic Bonds
S and C: Domestic Stock
I: International Stock

Obviously, the funds are more nuanced (G is a US Treasury, F, S, and C are indexes, I doesn't include Canada, etc...), but for AA purposes, simple works.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

If you mean the "Outside Accounts" section, then I use these as proxies for TSP:
VIDMX Vanguard Developed Markets Index Fund Institutional Shares <--- for I fund
VIEIX Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Institutional Shares <--- for S fund
VIIIX Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares <---for C fund
VBILX Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares <---for G fund
with # of shares approximately equal to current TSP fund accumulated amount divided by current proxy price per share. Update when it hits your 'out of sync' threshold.

I don't see a Linked Accounts section, and was never able to enter TSP shares directly. I did suggest to Vanguard many moons ago to add the TSP as there are likely several hundred thousand customers, military and civilian, active and retired, who have both VG and TSP accounts. Please add your voice to that in VG's suggestion box, thanks!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Topic Author
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

When I spoke to Vanguard today I also suggested closer cooperation with the TSP data.

I was told that Vanguard used Cashedge for the IT work and did not have enough clout with them [which sounded strange] to be more effective with TSP. I was told that Vanguard has tried to get Cashedge to interface more closely with TSP but has been unsuccessful.
Topic Author
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

On my page Outside investments—Linked online accounts appears below the Vanguard's funds and above Outside investments—Added accounts. Outside investments—Linked online accounts updates the TSP values each day.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Sorry, I'm still muddled on this - even called Vanguard, which pointed me to the Consolidated View, linked accounts feature...which IS the Outside Investments section on the Balances and Holdings page, according to the person I spoke to. If I go to add account, the "Where Held" pull-down box lists financial institutions starting with Other, then Alliance through Wells Fargo Advantage Funds. TSP is not listed, and selecting "Other" doesn't option that...hence my confusion. Your first post indicates it's no longer working with TSP anyways, even if you had found some way to use it previously. I'm left with the understanding that there's no TSP linked account availability, and the proxy method is a reasonable alternative.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Laura

Post by Laura »

I have my TSP linked so it shows and updates on the Vanguard page. What is doesn't do it maintain an accurate asset allocation. I have everything labeled properly but it still shows as "other" in my asset classes which totally throws me off.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
pointyhead

Post by pointyhead »

It may depend on when you opened your account. From the VG website:"Linked Online Accounts service is closed to new enrollments. However, shareholders who are currently enrolled in the service may continue to use it without interruption until otherwise notified by Vanguard." I've had my account for several years but never enrolled in the service and it doesn't appear to me that I can now enroll.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

That might explain why I'm scratching my head at this discussion, pointyhead.

I have my TSP listed in outside investments, but it does not update. I have to do it manually.
Topic Author
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

Laura » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 pm
I have my TSP linked so it shows and updates on the Vanguard page. What is doesn't do it maintain an accurate asset allocation. I have everything labeled properly but it still shows as "other" in my asset classes which totally throws me off.
That is my situation: TSP updates occur automatically but the asset allocation no longer does.