Ohio 529 web site change

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
itworks

Ohio 529 web site change

Post by itworks »

Holiday greetings!

Ohio 529 site (collegeadvantage.com) has been totally revamped. The new one seems losing a feature that I like. Basically, for each investment choice in my portfolio, the old site allows me to see the gain/loss. However, the new site only shows a single number, which is the combined gain/loss of the portfolio.

I could write a program to calculate it based on transaction history, but what a hassle. Anyone is figuring it out?

Thanks!
robertalpert

Re: Ohio 529 web site change

Post by robertalpert »

itworks wrote:Holiday greetings!

Ohio 529 site (collegeadvantage.com) has been totally revamped. The new one seems losing a feature that I like. Basically, for each investment choice in my portfolio, the old site allows me to see the gain/loss. However, the new site only shows a single number, which is the combined gain/loss of the portfolio.

I could write a program to calculate it based on transaction history, but what a hassle. Anyone is figuring it out?

Thanks!

I also liked that feature of showing gain / loss of the individual investments.

When Ohio's 529 became part of U-promise, I was hoping to be able to link the account (via U-promise) and view it on my Vanguard account screen. But alas, that is apparently not to be.

Have you made use of linking U-promise with credit card accounts?
I'm not yet convinced of how worth while it would be. Anyone else have experience with U-promise program?
Topic Author
itworks

Re: Ohio 529 web site change

Post by itworks »

Looks like it is relatively easy to calculate the gain/loss for each investment choice. Go to "Account Overview", scroll down to "Transaction History", choose "All" to get all transactions. Then do a copy of the web page, paste it into a text editor. Inside text editor, do a Find All to grab all lines with the desired investment choice. Then do another copy of all those lines and paste into Excel. Each of such line has a few fields (amount, price etc), and the fields are separated by TAB, so Excel is happily taking it.

You do need a plain-text editor (1) to strip all HTML format, and (2) also able to do "find all" and extract all the finds into another file. I used TextWrangler on my Mac. Any powerful editor on Windows should work (like UltraEdit).

As for UPromise, I will do some research as I did not do it myself. Some experts could chime in...