Tweet from Vanguard Executive

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jerome99

Tweet from Vanguard Executive

Post by jerome99 »

"When rebalancing within taxable accounts, consider selling assets at a loss or minimal bain to minimize tax impact"

Should much focus be on the above. Seems like good logic, just unsure exactly how and when to execute.

Thanks!
dickenjb

Re: Tweet from Vanguard Executive

Post by dickenjb »

jerome99 wrote:"When rebalancing within taxable accounts, consider selling assets at a loss or minimal bain to minimize tax impact"

Should much focus be on the above. Seems like good logic, just unsure exactly how and when to execute.

Thanks!
Sounds like good advice, especially if they meant minimal GAIN. Bain Capital is where Romney was CEO.

Read about Tax Loss Harvesting in the wiki for more info.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jerome99 wrote:... unsure exactly how and when to execute.
You execute it when you need the money. The how is to look at all your investments and see which ones will realize the greatest losses. That doesn't mean those are always the ones to sell, just that the tax consequences are one (oftentimes important) thing to take into consideration.

Note that re-balancing to maintain an AA will tend to do just the opposite -- selling high -- causing adverse tax consequences.

Another "when" is if there is a major downturn in the market. In this case you may want to sell one asset and replace it with another different, but similar, asset. Perhaps you would sell several "slices" (mid cap, small cap, REIT, etc.) and buy TSM. Another example: you could sell stock and bond funds and buy a balanced fund. These are "sell low, buy low" transactions that are break-even trades except for the favorable tax treatment. I did this inadvertently near the 2009 bottom when I switched from a big pile of miscellaneous stocks and funds a "Wealth Manager" put me into and greatly simplified my portfolio. This is a form of market timing which is hard to do, but I was lucky.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
grok87

Post by grok87 »

jerome99 wrote:"When rebalancing within taxable accounts, consider selling assets at a loss or minimal bain to minimize tax impact"

Thanks!
How can I sign up for these tweets?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

grok87 wrote:

Thanks!
If you are not yet a twitter user, head to www.twitter.com and sign up

Then follow @Vanguard_Group
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

danwhite77 wrote:
grok87 wrote:

Thanks!
If you are not yet a twitter user, head to http://www.twitter.com and sign up

Thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

danwhite77 wrote:
grok87 wrote:How can I sign up for these tweets?
If you are not yet a twitter user, head to http://www.twitter.com and sign up

Or if you don't want to join Twitter you could bookmark this site to just read (no posting).