Larry Swedroe's column [Why divers. is the prudent strategy]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fredd

Larry Swedroe's column [Why divers. is the prudent strategy]

Post by fredd »

I a regular reader of Larry's column on CBS. The following is a quote from Larry that appeared in a recent article titled "Why diversification is a prudent strategy".The article was published this week.For one Apple never traded close to $437.00 this week and the S and P 500 has not returned close to 36% this year.What gives Larry?

"Apple closed 2012 at $532 and as of this writing is now at $437, down 18 percent. Over the same period the S&P 500 is up about 36 percent. That's an underperformance of 54 percent."

fredd
Langkawi

Re: Larry Swerdroe's column

Post by Langkawi »

Like always, it's his editor's fault.
Stan Dup

Post by Stan Dup »

Like "Swedroe" not "Swerdroe"
"The tyranny of compounding expenses is the eighth deadly sin." - George Sisti
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

AAPL was selling around $437 as recently as July...
If you include dividends, and start from Jan-2012 the S&P has returned 36%, but that's closer to 2 years... maybe the article was written a few months ago?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Levett

Post by Levett »

This appears to be the tile of an article written yesterday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162- ... -strategy/

AAPL closed today at $520.56.

To the best of my knowledge I am not an AAPL shareholder. I like my Samsung Galaxy. :happy

Lev
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It was published yesterday, but he may have written it earlier.
I am an Android fan myself. But I have to admit for the first couple of years the ipod touch and iphone were far superior in quality/usability. Apple will have a lot of tough competition going forward. I don't have a problem owning AAPL in market weightings especially at the current valuations, and I'm quite amazed at the "story" of going from a near bankrupt firm that Microsoft was infusing money into to try and keep some semblance of competition alive, and then turning into one of the largest companies on the planet with enough cash in the bank to buy a few small countries.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Larry Swedroe's column [Why divers. is the prudent strat

Post by LadyGeek »

I fixed the thread title. The article is titled: Why diversification is the prudent strategy Nov 7, 2013.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
larryswedroe

Re: Larry Swedroe's column [Why divers. is the prudent strat

Post by larryswedroe »

yes my editor did not fix it, was written a while ago and I was traveling so I did not get to review it
Larry