Use windfall for Edu loans or downpayment that adds income?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Use windfall for Edu loans or downpayment that adds income?

Postby slopecarver » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:35 pm

This is a bit of a continuation of viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122293&newpost=1790787 where I asked how to convince my fiancee to switch from a PNC AUM portfolio to a self-run VG 3 fund portfolio.

It was suggested that some of that inheritance money should instead go towards her school loan for tax reasons. This post elaborates on that suggestion and other thoughts I had that deals with our financial future as a couple with potentially big spending and potentially even larger income. Grab some popcorn, It's a long one.

Here are the details:

Her: 27, Doctorate Veterinary Medicine, Employed, Take Home $45K + housing, no 401k offered, no bonuses right now.
Me: 26, BS Mechanical Engineering, Employed, Take Home $30k as an intern, Expecting to go permanent, take home $55K+ 6% match 401k.
State: PA, Small Town, Cheap everything.
Getting Married next spring, have been together for 9+ years attending different schools, currently live together.

Debt:
Her:
School#1: $154K @ 6.8%
School#2: $33K @ 7.9%
totaling $187
Total monthly payment for both is currently in deferment beginning soon at $1.8k/mo or $.5k/mo on an income based repayment plan (will switch to income when allowed [only allowed to switch to within 30 days of first payment due]).
Owns Vehicle Outright
No Consumer Debt, Credit Score: High Enough to not worry.

Me
School#1: $4.7k @ 6.8%
School#2: $4k @ 6.8%
School#3: $2.7k @ 2.35%
School#4: $2.4k @ 4.5%
School#5: $.6k @ 6.8%
School#6: $4.7k @ 5.6%
School#7: $1.8k @ 6.8%
School#8: $4.7k @ 6%
School#9: $1.8k @ 6.8%
totaling $27.5k
Total monthly payments are $.35k
Own Vehicle Outright
No Consumer Debt, Credit Score: High Enough to not worry.

Emergency Funds:
6 months in mm account, Not part of asset allocation.

Each File single for this year, married next year, not sure if filing jointly or separately yet, need to look into this.

Her 25% Fed Tax Bracket, 3% state
Me 15% Fed Tax Bracket, 3% state

State of Residence: PA

Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds, maybe less bonds as I can afford the risk.
Desired International allocation: 20% of stocks

Finances:

Her Roth IRA $2k VGSTX
Her PNC AUM (soon to VG bogle 3 fund) $28.8k
Her Cash $1.5k in checking

My Roth IRA $8k 50/50 VHCOX and VWNFX
My Cash $1.5k in checking
My Cash $.1k in Savings earning 6% (BECU offers 6% on up to $1000, $500 in checking, $500 in savings, I recently invested this in my Roth IRA to take advantage of the recent dip)

Current Annual Contribution Goals:
Her, Max out Roth IRA
Me, Max out Roth IRA

Other Details:
Here is where it gets fun, She is the only full time doctor at the veterinary hospital (4k clients for reference) the current owner is part time and looking to retire, he is grooming her to take over and buy the practice. The worst part is the timeline is unknown and so is the value. He is hinting the timeline as being anywhere from within a year to two years, he is not sure himself. The value we estimate based on net income and tangible assets at around $1m, He may sell for much less but we really don't know what he is thinking, he's already got enough to retire very comfortably for a long time. Some things are certain, She will buy it under an LLC for the limited liability aspect, and maybe other reasons asked about below, I can't legally own the hospital without being a doctor in this state. He also will offer seller financing so a big commercial down-payment isn't necessary.

We will both continue to max out our Roth IRA's this year and every year until we are ineligible due to making too much money hopefully. I will then dump every extra cent towards paying off my school loans, highest rate first. She will then dump every last cent into investments as bogleheads suggest based on my questions below. Eventually any employer sponsored tax advantaged accounts when offered will be fully taken advantage of, Total cost of living for both of us is about $1k/mo, split equally between us. No kid plans until this stuff gets sorted. We would like to buy a long term house in the next 1-2 years too, down-payment would come as a wedding gift from our well off parents, expected total cost between $100k-$150k but this isn't terribly relevant except for the added expense unless I'm missing something.

Questions:
1. Should she pay this year the maximum she can towards her 7.9% School Loan while coming below the $2500 Tax Refund limit? Next Year?
A. How is this calculated? Is it $2500/.28= $8928 towards her loans of which approximately $1000 over 2 payments this year would go to the normal income based repayment and an additional $7928 would go towards her 7.9% loan?
B. Is .28 the right tax here, it's her combined tax bracket, state and federal; or should it just be federal in this calculation?
2. Should she pay a larger sum than specified in question 1 towards her school loans? possibly wiping out her 7.9% loan, this would not effect the income based repayment amount, the income based repayment also includes a loan forgiveness program after either 20 or 25 years, we are not sure of the timeline as it's supposedly changing in 2014.
3. Does her being a sole proprietor of an LLC effect her Adjusted Gross Income from which Income Based Repayment is calculated?
4. Does her being a sole proprietor of an LLC effect her Student Loan Tax Refund Limit? (<$60k is 2500, >75k is ineligible, between is prorated)
5. What VG tax advantaged investment should she transfer her PNC AUM to if possible? I'm not looking for the funds, more the types, backdoor etc. This question applicable if based on the previous questions that is still advisable.
A. Is plain taxable advisable? This and excess earned money will likely be used towards a down-payment towards the hospital
6. How much do you think she should save up for a down-payment of the hospital on good faith terms?
7. Anything I've missed? Feel Free to comment. I'm an engineer, not an accountant.
Last edited by slopecarver on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
slopecarver

Re: Finance Plans, Big Spend, Bigger Payoff.

Postby BL » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 pm

Wow! He sure is getting cheap veterinary labor for just a hint of future benefit. It would be nice if he at least paid some of the student loans. I am just wondering if she needs some professional advice here. I suspect you are in an area where just a handshake is common but still even a verbal agreement doesn't sound forthcoming. This may be a sweetheart deal or may come to nothing.

I wouldn't buy a house until this gets sorted out. Roth IRAs can be used as a backup emergency fund if necessary so that is good. See Backdoor Roth in wiki for when you have too much income for Roth.

It sounds like you need to save as much as possible until this is settled. Also those loans are so high that they also need to be paid off ASAP. I would only do 401k to match and use the rest for non-retirement savings and loan repayment. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Do you both have health insurance? You might need to consider term life insurance when you are married and she buys into this business. You will need a lawyer anyway, so you might as well find him/her now.
BL

Postby slopecarver » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 am

BL wrote:Wow! He sure is getting cheap veterinary labor for just a hint of future benefit. It would be nice if he at least paid some of the student loans. I am just wondering if she needs some professional advice here. I suspect you are in an area where just a handshake is common but still even a verbal agreement doesn't sound forthcoming. This may be a sweetheart deal or may come to nothing.

These legal questions can be answered on the American Veterinary Medical Association forum, not quite boglehead territory unless someone with relevant experience wants to chime in. I agree she isn't getting paid enough but her salary is inline with the area, gross is around $57k + $7000/yr for included housing yields $64k/yr gross or more because she effectively doesn't pay tax on the housing either. the national average salary is $80k, average household income here is ~$33k, cost of living is approx 88% of the us average if that gives you an idea of the area.

We do need some form of health/medical insurance, that will be supplied by my employer once I go full-time and we are married. Some high deductible plan and a HSA is my short term goal.
slopecarver

Postby slopecarver » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Please bogleheads, I'd like some guidance.
slopecarver

Postby BL » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am

If you don't get responses, perhaps you could consider changing the title to something more specific, such as
How will LLC affect student loan payments?

How will a future higher AGI affect your income based loan repayments and/or loan forgiveness?

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you.
BL

Postby surfhb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:32 am

Anyway you can forgo the home and ask the folks to pay off those students loans?

Wow! Close to a quarter million dollars in debt. I'd spend the next several years paying that off before you think of investing.

Beyond that, she needs to talk to a good lawyer
surfhb

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments