New to this need advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

New to this need advice

Postby Pat0175 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I am 53 have a decent pension and a 457B from previous career that i can no longer contribute to. I have access to the funds without penalty any time. Currently I am working as a teacher/teachers aide current AGI is around 105000 between my wife and I. Have 1 daughter 7yo and have already contributed 30,000 to a 529 for her. just bought a new vehicle 22000 for 4 yrs @ 1%. Could have paid cash but thought I would invest the 22,000 in an index fund figuring I could do better than the 1% and i don't need to touch the $ for 10 to 15 years. Simple risk worksheet online suggested vanguard index growth fund. read somewere else there might be tax advantages in splitting up and picking 3 or 4 index funds. Any advice?

Thank you to those who replied I will read suggested items and be back. your suggestions help me to be active and stop procrastinating
Last edited by Pat0175 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat0175

Re: New to this need advice

Postby RadAudit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Pat0175 wrote:Any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

The standard advice would be read "getting started" at the top of the page, read a couple of the recommended books, and then come back, present the requisite info in the format noted in "asking questions" and then ask any and all questions that you might have.
"Everything will be all right in the end. If everything is not all right, then it is not the end." - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
RadAudit

Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby FNK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Sure. Read this and do what it says: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_Started
FNK

Postby pkcrafter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Welcome Pat,

You may be looking for a simple answer to a simple question, but without more information it's difficult to provide an answer. For instance, how does this new fund fit in with your overall asset allocation. For optimization and efficiency, we generally suggest investors view their entire portfolio as one. In doing this your taxable investments should be tax-efficient and integrated into the whole portfolio. As a stand alone, or for another goal in 10-15 years, 100% stock would not be recommended. If this is part of retirement and only part of your equity AA, then it could work. However, in that case, I'd probably recommend total stock market. Again, the recommendation would depend on the rest of your portfolio.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments