Exchanging a fund within a Vanguard Roth IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Exchanging a fund within a Vanguard Roth IRA

Postby rmj1015 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 pm

First time poster here. I've had a Vanguard Roth IRA account for about a year and have a question regarding exchanges within the account. 100% of this account is invested in Total International Stock Index Investor Shares (VGTSX). In order to further diversify my retirement holdings I would like to exchange this fund for Vanguard's Target Retirement 2050 (VFIFX).

My question concerns Vanguard's frequent trading policy and whether this would disallow the exchange. Since the Target Retirement fund holds (among others) the same underlying fund (Total International Stock) as my existing holding would this run afoul of the 60 day trading restriction?

Any assistance that you can provide is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Robert
rmj1015

Re: Exchanging a fund within a Vanguard Roth IRA

Postby Jim180 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm

No, those are considered two different funds. The restriction would apply only if you were to try and get back into VGTSX.
Jim180

Re: Exchanging a fund within a Vanguard Roth IRA

Postby rmj1015 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the clarification. This answered my question.
rmj1015

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments