Portfolio review and questions

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Portfolio review and questions

Postby USTommy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Debt: Mortgage 2.89% 15years remaining
Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly,
Tax Rate: 28% Federal, 6% State
State of Residence: New York
Desired Asset allocation: 40% stocks / 60% bonds
Desired International allocation: 0% of stocks

Current total portfolio: Low 6 figures

Current portfolio consists of:
VWIAX: 52%
VBIAX: 23%
VFIJX: 20%
VFSTX: 5%

DSW has small amounts in IRA & 401=<10,000

I plan to retire at 66y/o in 3 years and may continue to work part time. We will meet approximately 85% of our living expenses from SS and pensions; we need approximately an additional $5-8000 per year from this fund.

I have been reading about the 3 or 4 fund portfolio and have several questions regarding the appropriateness of these for my situation.

1. Which is a better choice for my situation?
I am looking at moving 100% to Life Strategy Conservative Growth or 50/50 Wellesley and Strategy Conservative Growth.
2. The 3 or 4 fund portfolio is great for 30-50 year olds still accumulating but does it work for a retiree who must draw down some portion?
3. Will a 3 or 4 portfolio pay dividends that a retiree can use for living?
USTommy

Re: Portfolio review and questions

Postby Duckie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:16 am

USTommy wrote:Which is a better choice for my situation?
I am looking at moving 100% to Life Strategy Conservative Growth or 50/50 Wellesley and Strategy Conservative Growth.

If you're going to use a balanced fund, using just one is better. Are all your assets tax-sheltered (401k, IRA)? When mixing taxable and tax-sheltered accounts balanced funds create complications.

The 3 or 4 fund portfolio is great for 30-50 year olds still accumulating but does it work for a retiree who must draw down some portion?

Yes.

Will a 3 or 4 portfolio pay dividends that a retiree can use for living?

Yes.
Duckie

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments