GetQuote for OO isn't working anymore. Anyone else?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

GetQuote for OO isn't working anymore. Anyone else?

Postby rustymutt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 pm

For the last 3 years, I've used OpenOffice for spreadsheet function with GetQuote add on for helping me re-balance my accounts. Upon re-installing XP pro on 2 PCs, it's not working anymore. I've followed Ted's (Ted is the software owner of the add-on) instructions for fixing this, but it's not working still. Has anyone else encountered this, or what other free options can be easily used for downloading quotes into a spreadsheet. It made re-balancing so easy.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Re: GetQuote for OO isn't working anymore. Anyone else?

Postby Epsilon Delta » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Getquote() is working for me, assuming AT&T is trading at $35.61 this morning.

I'm using OO on Linux, so I guess that's an option :shock: :twisted:

I don't know what you've tried already, but at some point I'd try uninstalling and then reinstalling the add-on and if that doesn't work do the same with OO.
Epsilon Delta

Postby rustymutt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Get's been working for me on one of the PC, but after a fresh re-install of XP, it's not working anymore.
It's beside me as to why. Now none of my PC work with it. It's got to be something with XP OS, or Java, and I've wasted hours trying to figure out what's happening.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Postby Epsilon Delta » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 pm

It might be a firewall problem. Can you access www.finance.yahoo.com? Have you white listed everything on that web site?
Epsilon Delta

Postby rustymutt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

http://www.finance.yahoo.com pops right up. Yahoo is my home page. This has something to due with Java I think.
I've got Java completely un-installed right now and am playing with this issue some more right now. If I figure out what's not right, I'll post it here.

I give up on "Getquote" Can't make it work anymore on XP Pro. It did work, but has stopped with Java updates.
rustymutt

Postby rustymutt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Fixed

Uninstalled GetQuote, and OO, Removed Java 7.
Cleaned up all mention on C drive of this software.
Re Installed Java 6, then OO, and configured it to work with Java, then rebooted PCs, and installed GetQuote, which now worked on both PCs it hadn't. It's the Java 7 keeping it from functioning. I've got Java 7 with Windows 7 on a Dell laptop, and it's worked fine all along. Something about XP and Java 7.
rustymutt

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments