fidelity bogleheads

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mbenz1997

fidelity bogleheads

Post by mbenz1997 »

I was just looking through the wiki on bogleheads and fidelity funds:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity

I was comparing FSTVX, FUSVX, FSEVX and was curious which funds you all used the most...FSEVX seems to have the best return over the past 10 years. FUSVX has had the best return over its "lifetime".

FUSEX is also curiously absent from this list. It has a lifetime return almost the same as FUSVX.

Also curious if anyone uses any of the ishares, like DVY?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin M

Re: fidelity bogleheads

Post by Kevin M »

Most of us don't select funds based on past returns, since research has shown this not to be a reliable indicator of future returns. Cost (expense ratio) is an important factor, but also what index the fund attempts to track, and also how well it tracks it. For example, the Fidelity Total International index fund attempts to track the EAFE index, which does not include emerging markets. They have a newer all-world ex-US fund that does include emerging markets, and I would prefer that.

I think most of us prefer total stock funds to S&P 500 Index funds, again, due to the broader coverage (total stock funds include small-caps and mid-caps).

I'm not going to bother looking up the ticker symbols you mentioned, but hopefully this is useful for you.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I have been invested in FSTVX for many years. Great low cost, total market index fund.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I used the iShares TIP fund for a while, in preference to VIPSX ($75 transaction fee), FINPX (highish ER and some strange underperformance in 2007, like several of Fidelity's bond funds), or ACITX (highest ER). I needed at that time to hold a) a TIPS fund, b) at Fidelity.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My 401(k) offers (and I have used or currently use):
FUSVX S&P500 index
FSEVX ext-market mid/small, completion index
FSGDX all-world ex-US int'l
FSITX total US bond index

The FUSEX is just a more expensive share class of FUSVX.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Fidelity have some good funds, and their ER's are very competitive with Vanguard. My Fidelity Rollover IRA is what I call a slightly modified Rick Ferri Core 4, at a 60 / 40 split with the following funds:

FUSVX - Spartan S & P 500 Index Advantage (ER 0.07)
FSEVX - Spartan Extended Market Index Advantage (ER 0.07)
FSIVX - Spartan International Index Advantage (ER 0.07)
FTBFX - Fidelity Total Bond (ER 0.45)
FSIYX - Spartan Inflation Protected Bond Index Advantage (ER 0.10)

FSEVX has done very well the past two years. FSIYX is lagging badly this year, but aren't they all. I have spoken to Fidelity about a Spartan Total Bond Index fund, to get a bit lower ER; but they don't currently have any plans for one.

I'm staying the course.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

rotorhead wrote:FTBFX - Fidelity Total Bond (ER 0.45)
FSEVX has done very well the past two years. FSIYX is lagging badly this year, but aren't they all. I have spoken to Fidelity about a Spartan Total Bond Index fund, to get a bit lower ER; but they don't currently have any plans for one.

I'm staying the course.
Fidelity has a Total US Bond index fund, so they must have misunderstood what you wanted. FTBFX that you have is an actively managed US(94%) bond fund. Have you looked at FBIDX (Spartan Index) or FSITX (Spartan Advantage Index)?

Or did you mean something else by "Spartan Total Bond Index fund"?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sammy_M

Post by Sammy_M »

You can create a nice portfolio using no-transaction-fee options at Fidelity. Below options would allow you to achieve whatever tilt level you desire.

US
Fidelity Spartan Total Market Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class (FSTVX) 0.06
iShares S&P SmallCap 600 Value Idx (IJS) 0.25

Intl Dev
Fidelity Spartan International Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class (FSIVX) 0.12
iShares MSCI EAFE Small Cap (SCZ) 0.40

Intl EM
Fidelity Spartan Emerging Markets Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class (FPMAX) 0.20
iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Small-Cap (EEMS) 0.66

FI
Fidelity Spartan U.S. Bond Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class (FSITX) 0.10
iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (TIP) 0.20

Alt
Fidelity Spartan Real Estate Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class (FSRVX) 0.10
IShares MSCI Global Gold Miners ETF* (RING) 0.39

*Careful thinly traded
Last edited by Sammy_M on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GracieLou

Post by GracieLou »

I use the Spartan Funds in my Roth IRA at Fidelity at 80/20 allocation. I am working my way up to the Advantage Class for all three for the better ERs, but not quite there yet!

FSTVX - Spartan Total Market Index Fund - Advantage Class
FSGUX - Spartan Global Ex US Index Fund - Investor Class
FBIDX - Spartan US Bond Index Fund - Investor Class
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I have been in the FUSVX (Spartan S & P 500 Index Advantage (ER 0.07)) since I did a Rollover IRA from my old 401k back in 2008 after I left my job - I was in an S&P500 Index fund for some of my holdings. I also had a bond component comparable to the Fidelity Intermediate-term Bond Fund (FTHRX) so I did a rollover into that fund, too.

I would like to point out that FIdelity did a merger between its FUSVX fund and its Spartan US Equity Index Fund back in January, 2010. Differences between the two funds' rules were consolidated, as were the NAVs and share balances. I ended up with nearly twice the shares at just over half the NAV.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

I use the total stock market index and the us bond index.

if you search on fidelity's website you will see they have a wide variety of low- cost, indexed "spartan" funds.
Focus on what you can control
Topic Author
mbenz1997

Post by mbenz1997 »

Thanks everyone. I think I will use some combination of FSEVX, FSTVX, and FUSVX for my US based index funds.
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

I like ffnox(4 in 1) plus some more bonds but if you are young it pretty well serves as an all you need in addition are TIPs or i bonds to have a pretty complete portfolio. I do havea small position in DVY which fido does not charge to purchase or sell if you hold it awhile.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

mbenz1997 wrote:Thanks everyone. I think I will use some combination of FSEVX, FSTVX, and FUSVX for my US based index funds.
OK, I broke down and looked up the tickers. This would be redundant, since FUSVX + FSEVX in the proper proportion (roughly 80/20) basically equals FSTVX. Just use FSTVX, unless you are using funds in an employer sponsored retirement plan where only one or both of the other two are available.

The only other reason to use the other two would be if you want to overweight mid/small-caps, and use a higher percentage of FSEVX than 20%. But I wouldn't do that unless I had done the homework (which I have) and felt comfortable tilting toward small caps (which I do), and in that case, I probably would use a small-cap fund instead of FSEVX, although you are unlikely to see a huge difference.

Kevin
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Unread postby livesoft » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 am

rotorhead wrote:FTBFX - Fidelity Total Bond (ER 0.45)

I'm staying the course.

Fidelity has a Total US Bond index fund, so they must have misunderstood what you wanted. FTBFX that you have is an actively managed US(94%) bond fund. Have you looked at FBIDX (Spartan Index) or FSITX (Spartan Advantage Index)?

Or did you mean something else by "Spartan Total Bond Index fund"?
No, there was no misunderstanding. There is a difference between the Fidelity Total US Bond Index Fund (FSITX) and the Fidelity Total Bond Fund (FTBFX). You are correct that FTBFX is actively managed, hence the 0.45 ER. However the US Bond Fund generally tracks the Barclays US Aggregate Index; while the Total Bond Fund ranges a bit farther afield, including some high yield and emerging markets. FTBFX returns have been slightly better. That's why I'm keeping it as opposed to moving to FSITX. The difference isn't much, but over time it adds up. If you read the M* reports on both funds, they give Total Bond Fund slightly better marks. I'm comfortable with it.

Edited - It would be nice if Fidelity would open an Advantage class of FTBFX with lower ER; but from my conversation with them, they're not likely to do so.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

rotorhead, be careful about relying on past performance and M* ratings for fund selection. Research has shown that neither is a reliable predictor of future performance. Low-cost index funds outperform the vast majority of actively managed funds in the long run. The longer the time period, the smaller the percentage of actively managed funds that outperform, and the outperformance is more likely due to luck than skill.

Of course it's somewhat apples to oranges to compare a US bond index fund to a fund that includes emerging markets and high yield.

Kevin
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Unread postby Kevin M » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 pm
rotorhead, be careful about relying on past performance and M* ratings for fund selection. Research has shown that neither is a reliable predictor of future performance. Low-cost index funds outperform the vast majority of actively managed funds in the long run. The longer the time period, the smaller the percentage of actively managed funds that outperform, and the outperformance is more likely due to luck than skill.

Of course it's somewhat apples to oranges to compare a US bond index fund to a fund that includes emerging markets and high yield.

Kevin
Thank you.
elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle »

Spouse's 401K & 403b plans have Fidelity's Total Bond Market Institutional (FXSTX)(ER=.07). The fund pays dividends monthly. :D

elgob
feh

Post by feh »

livesoft wrote:My 401(k) offers (and I have used or currently use):
FUSVX S&P500 index

Very similar to my list:
FSTVX
FSGDX
FSITX
FSRVX (REIT)
mullery

Post by mullery »

feh wrote:
livesoft wrote:My 401(k) offers (and I have used or currently use):
FUSVX S&P500 index

Very similar to my list:
FSTVX
FSGDX
FSITX
FSRVX (REIT)
Those are the same funds I hold in my Fidelity IRA account. FSGDX contains emerging markets and Canada, which makes it a good all-in-one international fund.
feh

Post by feh »

mullery wrote:
feh wrote:
Very similar to my list:
FSTVX
FSGDX
FSITX
FSRVX (REIT)
Those are the same funds I hold in my Fidelity IRA account. FSGDX contains emerging markets and Canada, which makes it a good all-in-one international fund.
Yup.

When I first moved to Fidelity, I purchased FSIVX. I later realized it was established markets only (heavily concentrated on Europe and Japan), and swapped it for FSGDX.
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

FSTVX -6BP--R5000
FSIVX 12BP--INT
FPMAX 20BP--EMERG
FSSVX 16BP--MID CAP
FUSVX 5BP--SP500
FSRVX 9BP--REIT

CAREFUL WITH FIDO ER'S-- CLICK ON THE RESEARCH TAB AND GET CURRENT ER'S

OTHER HALF OF PORTFOLIO IS ETF's

JERRY