Creative Planning Inc?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Creative Planning Inc?

Postby ORatz » Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 am

Has anyone heard of this company through TD Ameritrade? They do mostly index funds and efts and cost %1 for portfolios 500k and up. They're on the Barron's top 100 wealth advisors. I wanted to put all my taxable and non taxable in Vanguard but it gets confusing for me. I've posted before...I'm retired, 62, have about 750 in taxable and 60k non taxable. I'd like to stick with Vanguard, but the taxable part of my portfolio is a concern for me. I'm in the lower tax bracket so I'm not sure if that helps or not, but Creative Planning takes care of that through tax harvesting and "opportunistic rebalancing", which I'm not sure is a good thing or not. I have no idea what to do and need some advice! Thank you in advance!! I know most of you guys believe in do it yourself investing, as I do, but it's confusing to me. I would prefer staying with Vanguard but there seems to be too many what ifs in doing it myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ORatz

Re: Creative Planning Inc?

Postby nisiprius » Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 am

ORatz wrote:cost 1% for portfolios 500k and up.
1%? Yikes! How much have you been making or expect to make on your investments? They're going to be taking 10-20% of what you make.

And I would be worried about "opportunistic rebalancing."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby bottlecap » Thu May 23, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah, sounds way too pricey.

Have you thought about an annuity and Vanguard's Retirement Income Fund or some combination thereof?

JT
bottlecap

Postby ORatz » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 am

Thank you both so much. Not sure how you get 20% but I believe you. I imagine it includes underlying fund fees too.

No, have not wanted to go the annuity road...yet....and yes, I do like the Target Retirement Income fund, which I started to transfer all my money to, but it's mostly taxable money and I started to panic. I'm not sure if that's where tax loss harvesting comes in, but I'd be too inept to do that myself. Ideally, I'd like to put it all in the Van Target Ret Income fund, which I do have 190k in there now but am afraid of transferring more, due to tax implications. How would this affect me? Can anyone advise?

THANK YOU!!
ORatz

Postby ObliviousInvestor » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 am

When checking out a registered investment adviser (RIA), I think it's always a good idea to look them up on the SEC Adviser Search website and look at their Form ADV Part 2. This document has lots of information about what the firm does, what they charge, etc -- without a lot of the sales-speak that you would find on the firm's own website.

Here is the form for Creative Planning Inc:
http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/Iapd/Con ... _ID=198422

Of note: The fee is actually 1.2% for the first $500,000. It's only the assets from $500,000-$2,000,000 that would have a 1% fee. So for an $810k portfolio, the total cost would be closer to 1.1%, plus costs of underlying investments.

This part was also interesting:
Creative Planning, Inc. uses the following investment strategies when managing client assets and/or providing investment advice.
 Long term purchases which are investments held at least a year.
 Short term purchases which are investments sold within a year.
 Trading which involve investments sold within 30 days.
 Short sales. A short sale is generally the sale of a stock not owned by the investor. Investors who sell short believe the price of the stock will fall. If the price drops, the investor can buy the stock at the lower price and make a profit. If the price of the stock rises and the investor buys it back later at the higher price, the investor will incur a loss. Short sales require a margin account.
 Margin transactions. When an investor buys a stock on margin, the investor pays for part of the purchase and borrows the rest from a brokerage firm. For example, an investor may buy $5,000 worth of stock in a margin account by paying for $2,500 and borrowing $2,500 from a brokerage firm. Clients cannot borrow stock from Creative Planning.
 Option writing including covered options, uncovered options, or spreading strategies. Options are contracts giving the purchaser the right to buy or sell a security, such as stocks, at a fixed price within a specific period of time.

It doesn't say how often the firm engages in each of those activities, but trading, short sales, investing on margin, and options are not exactly part of a typical Boglehead's investment strategy.
Mike Piper, author/blogger
ObliviousInvestor

Postby matjen » Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 am

ORatz wrote:Not sure how you get 20% but I believe you. I imagine it includes underlying fund fees too.

The trick is to not look at 1% of your total but what is the 1% removed from the actual return you make moving forward. Realistically you may make 5% let's say. Now take 20% of that away for fees, etc.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
matjen

Postby ORatz » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

Wow, thank you ALL!

The guy at CP Inc said that they would charge me the 1% but when you put it that they take 20% from what I make, that puts it in a whole different perspective!!
I agree about checking these firms out but have not found too much about them online except for the videos this guy sent me(thank you for the link). He did the same presentation too when we met. I didn't get a good feeling about him at that time...seemed like just another salesman to me, but they all do I guess.

Thank you so much for ALL of your advice! Now if someone could tell me how to invest 750k taxable money in Vanguard Retirement without it being to complicated to record? (taxes, etc)

THANK YOU!
ORatz

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 am

Forum members enjoy and indulge in endless debates about how many fund-angels can dance on the head of a pin. It's fun for them, but I don't think it's your style.

Take your hard-earned money and put it into Vanguard Life Strategy funds. Going by the name is good enough (e.g., Conservative Growth might be your ticket). The difference between this and a finely tweaked and painfully detailed (and confusing) optimal allocation is worth ignoring. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

Any deviation from optimum will be dwarfed by the money you are not giving to Creative Planning Inc. I find it depressing that such outfits steal from people the way that they do.
TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu May 23, 2013 9:16 am

... or maybe Target Retirement funds. The main point is that you don't seem to be someone who wants to watch the portfolio, rebalance, etc. Let Vanguard do that for you (for essentially free!)
TomatoTomahto

Postby gatorking » Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 am

ORatz wrote: Now if someone could tell me how to invest 750k taxable money in Vanguard Retirement without it being to complicated to record? (taxes, etc)

Not clear what you are asking here? Is the money in a taxable account or in a Retirement account? Or are you asking about the Target Retirement funds?
Either way, I suggest you start here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6211
and here: viewtopic.php?t=6212

edited to add: I just read your other thread on AA. Duckie has given you excellent advice there.
gatorking

Postby ORatz » Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes, Duckie is a saint! He has helped me so much and I have such tremendous respect for him! I'm just a slow learner. He probably feels like pulling his hair out when I ask him a question! It can get overwhelming for me at times and I have to step back but basically, I'm leaning towards Duckies (and yours) suggestions....Meaning, not going with Creative Planning and doing a simple target fund or the Life Strategy route.

Thank you both for replying to my post. I will look again at Life Strategy too. In fact Duckie suggested that fund too. I just need to make the leap but I'm still unsure about the tax consequences for the taxable accounts.

Yes, I have 193k already in Van Target Retirement Income and was going to transfer the rest of my money which is just sitting in a .5% (not even) interest rate at a savings bank MM account for the last 4 yrs, as a safety measure during the market turndown. Now I want to bring it all over to Vanguard but want to be absolutely sure where to put it without big tax consequences, being that it's mostly taxable money.

Thank you for bearing with me.
ORatz

Postby IlliniDave » Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 pm

ORatz wrote:Has anyone heard of this company through TD Ameritrade? They do mostly index funds and efts and cost %1 for portfolios 500k and up. They're on the Barron's top 100 wealth advisors. I wanted to put all my taxable and non taxable in Vanguard but it gets confusing for me. I've posted before...I'm retired, 62, have about 750 in taxable and 60k non taxable. I'd like to stick with Vanguard, but the taxable part of my portfolio is a concern for me. I'm in the lower tax bracket so I'm not sure if that helps or not, but Creative Planning takes care of that through tax harvesting and "opportunistic rebalancing", which I'm not sure is a good thing or not. I have no idea what to do and need some advice! Thank you in advance!! I know most of you guys believe in do it yourself investing, as I do, but it's confusing to me. I would prefer staying with Vanguard but there seems to be too many what ifs in doing it myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have only a small account at VG, so I don't know this for sure, but I believe they have advisors available to clients with > $500K who do not charge 1%. Part of the Voyager Select and Flagship Tier I think. I don't think they'll manage your account for you (could be wrong), but I'd think they could advise you on how to set up a simple but effective portfolio and provide ongoing advice as things change.

I do plan to transfer my 401 there when I leave my employer. The have a service (the call it by a fancy French word I can neither spell nor pronounce) especially for the logistics of such transfers, and given the amount you certainly can get some advice on an initial deployment of the funds.

I'd suggest giving them a call and telling them what you want to do and your concerns/confusion about things and ask them what sort of ongoing support/assistance they could provide. They do have special tax-managed funds, and index funds are relatively tax efficient. But maybe it's a tall order expecting anything involving the IRS to be simple :). I doubt anyone could save you $7500/year by tax harvesting to balance a 1% fee.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
IlliniDave

Postby Stan Dup » Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm

ORatz wrote: Not sure how you get 20% but I believe you.

Go here and see for yourself: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsC ... &FundId1=0

Just choose a vanguard fund and a non-vanguard fund. Fill in the rest with your information. On the last page they show also show a standard third option of a 2% ER.

Scroll down and change the non-vanguard fund Expense Ratio to 1% and then click on the Recalculate button. Scroll back up and see how the totals compare between a low vanguard ER and a 1% ER. You will be shocked.
"The tyranny of compounding expenses is the eighth deadly sin." - George Sisti
Stan Dup

Postby mhalley » Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 am

The fees for Vanguard to manage your portfolio are better than the 1%, but still a LITTLE high compared to some other (cheaper) companies. (I could mention names, but does .37% sound familiar?)
Vanguard Asset Management Services fees
Assets under management (minimum assets: $500,000) Annual fee**
First $1 million 0.70%
Next $1 million 0.35%
Subsequent amounts 0.20%
This is for them to have complete management, not the brief portfolio review that they offer.
Mike
mhalley

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks Dave, Stan and Mike. I'll call them again today and talk to a CFP that can suggest something....Yes, I think .7 is still a little high too but I can still get advice as a Voyager client.

Stan, thanks for that link to see expenses.......how thoughtful

Mike, I'd love to know the investment company that charges .37?? Would you feel ok sharing? thank you

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
ORatz

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 am

Gator, the bulk of my money is in taxable accounts and I want to transfer over but want the most tax efficient allocation... I think I finally make sense
ORatz

Postby synergy » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am

Hi ORatz,

From reading this thread,I am assuming that your main worry is moving your taxable accounts to Vanguard without incurring significant taxes. Do some of your investments have losses? If so, it would be relatively simple to match the amount of loses with a like amount of gains and sell those funds and invest in the most tax efficient Vanguard balanced fund that meets your AA. The remaining funds in your current taxable account can have their dividends deposited to your new Vanguard account and you can either spend down the balance, as required, or decide to take the tax hit and move the funds to Vanguard. Additionally, you can move $5,500 a year to a Roth account from the taxable and take a small tax hit but slowly remove funds from the remaining taxable account.

This is probably not the most efficient method but it is one strategy that would get you part way there.
synergy

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks Synergy... This is exactly what's confusing me...I guess I just don't "get it"... All that shifting money to this account from that account....No, I need way more schooling unfortunately lol...My taxable money right now is in a savings bank making nothing, and it's that money that I want to transfer to Vanguard. Thank you so much Synergy for your wise advice ...that seems to be lost on me. I'll re read and try to absorb ...maybe it's too early
ORatz

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 am

...no, no losses.
ORatz

Postby matjen » Fri May 24, 2013 9:00 am

ORatz wrote:Mike, I'd love to know the investment company that charges .37?? Would you feel ok sharing? thank you

ORatz, there are several extremely good financial planners/investment professionals who frequent this board and provide great value for the money if it is a service you need or feel comfortable with. The .37 reference is likely regarding Rick Ferri at Portfolio Solutions. http://www.portfoliosolutions.com/

Larry Swedroe's group at BAM is also excellent. There is Allan Roth and Bill Schultheis as well. Google them or search them on this board for their opinions on a variety of topics. However a bit of warning, you may see some disagreement on things. Please understand that they all agree on about 97% of the basics. It is just the 3% of frosting on the cake we end up debating. Here is a link to some books they have written: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category ... nd_Authors
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
matjen

Postby IlliniDave » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 am

ORatz wrote:Thanks Synergy... This is exactly what's confusing me...I guess I just don't "get it"... All that shifting money to this account from that account....No, I need way more schooling unfortunately lol...My taxable money right now is in a savings bank making nothing, and it's that money that I want to transfer to Vanguard. Thank you so much Synergy for your wise advice ...that seems to be lost on me. I'll re read and try to absorb ...maybe it's too early

Well the good news is, if you decide to do so, you can move it without incurring the capital gains tax hit you'd get if you had it already invested and decided to move it.

One of the main tactics of being tax-efficient is to do as little of "all that shifting to this from that" as possible. In the end you may very well be able to achieve a 2-3, or even 1-fund approach. There are many investors who, although "bogleheads" at heart, like to have a bit more complexity in their portfolios, and while accumulating their investments like to make it a hobby and twiddle all the little knobs and tweak the levers. (I'm one, it's a bit of a compulsion :) ). But almost none of that ongoing fuss is necessary.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. For most of us it was confusing to begin with, often more confusing than necessary because we tend to make it far more complex than we need to. Maybe the best thing to do is just call VG, tell them you want you want a simple, clean, tax-efficient spread of the money into at most two or three funds in a way that requires little or no ongoing maintenance. Or if you want time to think more, a safe short-term bond fund or something. Then maybe instead of reading and trying to absorb the entire cacophony of ideas and discussions on a forum like this, go off and get a couple books, maybe Bogle's "Little Guide..." book or one of William Bernstein's investing books and sit in a quiet place and read them cover-to-cover, maybe twice. Jumping straight here definitely presents a risk of losing sight of the forest because there's way too many trees in the way. Then as you get the hang of the vocabulary and what not, come back to ask questions if you still have any. Before long you'll be comfortable with it all.
IlliniDave

Postby aida2003 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 am

matjen wrote: ORatz, there are several extremely good financial planners/investment professionals who frequent this board and provide great value for the money if it is a service you need or feel comfortable with. The .37 reference is likely regarding Rick Ferri at Portfolio Solutions. http://www.portfoliosolutions.com/

Larry Swedroe's group at BAM is also excellent. There is Allan Roth and Bill Schultheis as well. Google them or search them on this board for their opinions on a variety of topics. However a bit of warning, you may see some disagreement on things. Please understand that they all agree on about 97% of the basics. It is just the 3% of frosting on the cake we end up debating. Here is a link to some books they have written: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category ... nd_Authors

These are the people I thought to mention though I don't know how much you'd spend for their advice (their % for managing + expense % of underlying funds). In addition, there's also www.assetbuilder.com of Scott Burns. This co. uses DFA funds, I believe.
aida2003

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Thank you so much Matjen and Aida...I'm copying and pasting...Great help and excellent advice!... I guess we all start somewhere...just taking me a bit longer than most :?
ORatz

Postby ORatz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm sorry IllinoisD, I didn't realize there were 3 separate posts and for some reason thought yours was matjens, who was also so helpful...thank you too! You gave me some excellent tips and I greatly appreciate what you have to say! Actually, it was your post I copied and pasted...Thank you!
ORatz

Postby IlliniDave » Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm

It's no problem, ORatz, I'm happy to have helped a little. You'll do great! Just give yourself time to focus on the basics and the simpler/cleaner strategies will reveal their elegance, then you'll be able to have confidence in following recommendations from a solid adviser (several good options emerged in the discussion) if that's how you decide to go. Or perhaps you'll decide you'd rather do a bit more of it yourself. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
IlliniDave

Postby clucsr » Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 pm

I am a client of Creative Planning since last July. Before I started with Jedd Wilson I always did my own investing. About 10 different mutual funds and 10 different stocks at a time never sure about the right "mix" of investments. It was difficult letting go of the "job" of investing but I knew down deep I was not qualified even though I have been NASD registered for 40 years. Still insecurity after being a self investor for 35 years and accumulating over 2M. Since hiring them and I mean "hiring" because I can fire them at any time, Jedd has been a professional with very high integrity. Yes I pay about 1% but Jedd has completely diversified my portfolio from a very high risk investment plan of mine to 40%bonds, 40% AAA stocks, ETF, and MLP. Today I have about 60 holdings and my risk exposure is at 4 out of 10. I don't like paying the fee any more than anyone else but I do sleep better these days.

If I didn't want to pay the fees I guess I would just invest in either the S&P 500 or the Russell 1000.

Good luck, hope this helps.

P.S. I forgot, in the last 9 months my returns have been over 10%.
clucsr

Postby Laura » Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 pm

If you have a return over 10% you are taking on huge risk in your portfolio despite the number 4 that you have been given. 60 holdings is completely ridiculous. There is not need for that at all. Risk and return are always related and there is no free lunch. I advise you to take a close look at exactly what you have and to have another adviser take a close look.

Laura
Laura

Postby TomatoTomahto » Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 pm

clucsr wrote:I am a client of Creative Planning since last July. Before I started with Jedd Wilson I always did my own investing. About 10 different mutual funds and 10 different stocks at a time never sure about the right "mix" of investments. It was difficult letting go of the "job" of investing but I knew down deep I was not qualified even though I have been NASD registered for 40 years. Still insecurity after being a self investor for 35 years and accumulating over 2M. Since hiring them and I mean "hiring" because I can fire them at any time, Jedd has been a professional with very high integrity. Yes I pay about 1% but Jedd has completely diversified my portfolio from a very high risk investment plan of mine to 40%bonds, 40% AAA stocks, ETF, and MLP. Today I have about 60 holdings and my risk exposure is at 4 out of 10. I don't like paying the fee any more than anyone else but I do sleep better these days.

If I didn't want to pay the fees I guess I would just invest in either the S&P 500 or the Russell 1000.

How fortuitous. A Creative Planning client registers and is able to shed light on this thread in the past few hours.
Are you saying that you've made 10% per month for the past 9 months? If so, that's got to be a very lucky portfolio. If I were able to set up a portfolio like that for someone, I'd just manage my own money.
Or, are you saying that you've made 10% total over the past 9 months? If so, that's not so stunning, since I would wager that most of us, with our indexed Vanguard funds have probably done as well.
TomatoTomahto

Postby mhalley » Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 am

You are right, I was referring to Portfoliio Solutions, wasn't sure if it was kosher to blatantly refer to it. Rick is a great asset to this board, and his books are well worth reading.
Another option is Market Riders, who will give you a recommended mix of ETFs. I tried the 30 day free trial, and still get their emails which are always interesting.
http://www.marketriders.com/
Mike
mhalley

Postby clucsr » Sat May 25, 2013 12:20 am

This is what I said " P.S. I forgot, in the last 9 months my returns have been over 10%." I did not say per month. Where did I say "per month"? I am not setting up portfolios for anyone....I did not want to imply the results were stunning, only realistic. You could invest in the S&P 500 and have done well. Check out my response to Laura. If you are looking for "stunning" in the ups and the downs keep doing it yourself. You are missing the point. AS I wrote "If I didn't want to pay the fees I guess I would just invest in either the S&P 500 or the Russell 1000." Looks like you are going this route.
clucsr

Postby lawman3966 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:38 am

clucsr wrote:I am a client of Creative Planning since last July. Before I started with Jedd Wilson I always did my own investing. About 10 different mutual funds and 10 different stocks at a time never sure about the right "mix" of investments. It was difficult letting go of the "job" of investing but I knew down deep I was not qualified even though I have been NASD registered for 40 years. Still insecurity after being a self investor for 35 years and accumulating over 2M. Since hiring them and I mean "hiring" because I can fire them at any time, Jedd has been a professional with very high integrity. Yes I pay about 1% but Jedd has completely diversified my portfolio from a very high risk investment plan of mine to 40%bonds, 40% AAA stocks, ETF, and MLP. Today I have about 60 holdings and my risk exposure is at 4 out of 10. I don't like paying the fee any more than anyone else but I do sleep better these days.

I notice that the above was your first post. Welcome to the forum! Though another poster noted the fortuitousness of your post, I can't help but wonder what suddently drew you to this forum. You have been registered with the NASD for 40 years (!), but just now decided to join Bogleheads. Excellent!

Since I'm a little new to this, I was wondering whether you could help understand some of your terminology. Your post says you are 40% in AAA stocks, 40% in bonds, and by implication, 20% in ETFs and MLPs. Yet, your "risk exposure" is at "4 out of 10".
My first question is what a risk exposure of "4 out of 10" means. Does this suggest that 60% of your portfolio is in totally safe all-cash instruments, such as bank accounts? This is unclear to me since for this to be true (in view of 40% being in stocks), the ETFs and MLPs would have to be risk-free.

Second, indicating that 20% of your portfolio is in ETFs and MLPs is a little broad. I'm not familiar with Master Limited Parterships, but I know that there are thousands of ETFs with widely varying risk levels. It would be helpful if you could provide a little more information as to which ETFs you're invested in, and how your manager was able to make such low-risk ETF investments.

Once again, congratulations on the incredible coincidence of joining Bogleheads on the same day that a Bogleheads post mentioning the CPI firm started showing up in Google searches.
lawman3966

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 am

clucsr wrote:This is what I said " P.S. I forgot, in the last 9 months my returns have been over 10%." I did not say per month. Where did I say "per month"? I am not setting up portfolios for anyone....I did not want to imply the results were stunning, only realistic. You could invest in the S&P 500 and have done well. Check out my response to Laura. If you are looking for "stunning" in the ups and the downs keep doing it yourself. You are missing the point. AS I wrote "If I didn't want to pay the fees I guess I would just invest in either the S&P 500 or the Russell 1000." Looks like you are going this route.

I did not say that you had said "per month." I was just unclear what you meant, since making 10% over the past 9 months is not noteworthy. So, I asked which of the two (per or total) applied.

You suggested that I check out your response to Laura but I don't see where you replied to Laura.

Welcome to the forum, but I must say that this entire thread feels "off.". If it quacks like a duck, walks like...

EDITED TO ADD: I don't usually compute my returns (I watch my investments, but out of the corner of my eye). I have a very conservative portfolio, especially since it includes some 529 funds that are very close to being cashed in. There are definitely no MLP's in there. My all-in return for 9 months was 14.48% and that includes a significant bond allocation (which returned a whopping 0.14%).
TomatoTomahto

Postby Laura » Sat May 25, 2013 1:48 pm

clucsr,

No, I am not going the S&P or Russell 1000 route. That would give me a totally non-diversified portfolio. Instead, I invest in total market index funds that cover both the US and international and I also hold bonds and REITs. I have an asset allocation that matches my need and ability to take risk, all at very low cost so my money is working to benefit me and not an advisor. I have my investing set up to happen automatically and I don't worry about my investments much at all since I know they are set up properly for me.

You might want to look back and history and see what happens to people who take on too much risk in their portfolio. You can use this forum to find that by looking at posts made here during the market decline a few years ago.

Laura
Laura

Postby Raymond » Sat May 25, 2013 3:24 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:...Welcome to the forum, but I must say that this entire thread feels "off.". If it quacks like a duck, walks like...

"Quack, quack, quack" (not referring to ORatz, by the way) :twisted:

---

ORatz: No need to pay for a "financial advisor's" yearly trip to the Caribbean via a 1% fee coming out of your returns, when you can do the same yourself with a little study.

Strongly consider the Life Strategy or Target Retirement funds. Even though they will be in a taxable account, you stated in your other thread that you are retired and have no other income, so the tax bite shouldn't be too bad (?)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Raymond

Postby LadyGeek » Sat May 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Let's not forget the OP here. ORatz - did you get your questions answered?

You're moving from a savings account to perhaps a Target Retirement Fund in a taxable account. Take your time and be sure you understand everything. If not, just ask.

The wiki is a good place to start reading: Getting Started

clucsr - if you have further questions, please start a new thread.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby millekj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:34 am

As a recent. former Creative Planning customer, I can assure you that I was realizing nowhere near the 10% that another poster responded with. If I was, I would have happily remained with them I am still looking for alternatives that may include going on my own or moving ahead with an IM firm such as Geneva or Churchill.
millekj

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:44 am

Welcome! Thanks for the feedback. As to your situation, I checked the Form ADV2 from Churchill Management, which is an SEC disclosure that contains information you need - especially their fees.

"Item 5. Fees And Compensation" shows 1.25% for their Maximum Growth Strategy (caution, that means a stock category known as "Growth" - not growing your investments) and then a range from 1.0% (< $500k) to 0.6% (over $5M). Unless you are closer to the $5M (million) category, this seems somewhat expensive.

If you want to do this yourself, why don't you take some time to read the wiki? Start here: Getting Started Even if you decide to go with a firm, you'll still need to understand the basic concepts, so this information is worthwhile to learn regardless of your decision.

It costs you nothing to get advice here. Consider starting a thread using the Asking Portfolio Questions format and we'll help you out.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments