Registration -- site claims bad password is "good"

Discussions about the forum and contents

Registration -- site claims bad password is "good"

Postby MB7 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm

While registering for a new account, I entered an 8-digit password, and it said “Good.” That implies that it’s good. And yet when I clicked Submit, it said it was too short. I’m thinking that if it’s too short, then it’s not “Good.” Just sayin.
MB7

Re: Registration -- site claims bad password is "good"

Postby LadyGeek » Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Welcome! Actually, you were dealing with 2 slightly different things.

First, "Good" is the reading by our password strength meter. It's intended to help members select passwords that are difficult to crack. See: Forum Software Updated: Show Password Strength

Second, the minimum password length is 9 characters. Most people expect 8, so we go 1 more. The forum software will accept a maximum password length of 100 characters.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Registration -- site claims bad password is "good"

Postby Epsilon Delta » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

It may be worth mentioning that bogleheads.org password have been attacked in the past. Weak passwords were used to hijack accounts and vandalize the forum. Responding to this took some effort from the moderators and admins. Choosing a reasonably password may help to prevent a recurrence and save the volunteers some work.

bogleheads.org attacked - some accounts hijacked
Epsilon Delta

Return to Forum Issues and Administration