statins and exercise study from today's NYT?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

statins and exercise study from today's NYT?

Postby texasdiver » Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 pm

I know there are quite a few physicians and fitness enthusiasts on this board and the average age is probably above the median so I expect many of you might find this article from today's New York Times alarming:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/2 ... -exercise/

I'm a fairly avid cyclist and also take Crestor due to a personal and family history of high cholesterol. I have noticed it seems to be getting more difficult to get into top shape, but until reading this article I've just been putting that off as a consequence of getting older. Now I'm not so sure. It's a rather alarming study. I'm wondering if any of the rest of you are aware of this and have any comments. I'm thinking perhaps I should dial back the statins and balance it out by getting even more serious about diet and exercise. I've never bothered to shoot my physician an email before but this is one case where I might.
texasdiver

Re: statins and exercise study from today's NYT?

Postby livesoft » Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm

I exercise a lot and do not take statins. I just went bike riding (fast past averaging 20+ mph) with my colleagues at lunch time today. I cannot go as fast as the folks who are 20 years younger.

My conclusion: It is a consequence of getting older.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby lws6772 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I know it's not just a case of getting older. If I get off statins, my energy level goes up substantially. But that's just my conclusion after the last 8 yrs. on almost all of the statins. :happy
lws6772

Postby Munir » Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm

It's too bad that the statin used in the study quoted is simvastatin. Among different statins, simvastatin is considered by some as having the worst efect on muscle physiology. I would be interested to know how Lipitor (genric name atorvastatin) would perform compared to simvastatin. Some doctors consider atorvastain as the statin of choice with the least side-effects in this family of drugs. Which statin did other studies use?
Munir

Postby Levett » Wed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm not a physician, but I've got a mind that works and the study sounds strange.

You start with a bunch of sedentary people, divide then into two groups (statin/non-statin), get them to to exercise--to what degree I can't tell--for 3 months ( :confused ), and then draw a tentative conclusion about exercise and statins?!

Say what? Go from years of sedentary to 3 months of exercise and draw a conclusion about statins. :oops:

I don't see a Nobel in the study's future.

Here's the only piece of language that makes any sense to me:

"A possible remedy, he continues, could be for people to get in shape and raise their aerobic fitness before starting the drug, but that’s an issue to discuss with your doctor. “There’s still a great deal we don’t understand” about how statins and exercise mix, he says."

That's a clue.

I'm 70. Been on a low dose statin since my mid-50s. Have exercised regularly since grade school. I'm quite happy with my level of fitness, and so is my internist. :D

Lev
Levett

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Before this gets shut down:

Could never get cholesterol under 300 while on Lipitor. With doctor's blessing, stopped Lipitor and started eating many eggs, yolk and all, two dozen a week or thereabouts. Butter also. Exercise about the same amount although i don't lift as heavy. Cholesterol has been around 160 ever since. YMMV
TomatoTomahto

Postby oaksavannah » Wed May 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Statins have also been linked (loosely linked) to memory loss.
NYTimes http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/0 ... the-brain/

When I mentioned the article to my doctor he said, "What would you rather have a stroke or some possible memory loss sometime in the future?"
oaksavannah

Postby Blues » Wed May 22, 2013 4:59 pm

That Dr. Atkins was on to something. Too bad they blamed his death from slipping on ice on bad science. :oops:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Blues

Postby SPG8 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Levett wrote:I'm not a physician, but I've got a mind that works and the study sounds strange.

Longer studies cost more money.

Muscle pain and damage has always been listed as a potential side effect.

Fun Fact: 25% of total body cholesterol is in the brain.
SPG8

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

oaksavannah wrote:Statins have also been linked (loosely linked) to memory loss.
NYTimes http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/0 ... the-brain/

When I mentioned the article to my doctor he said, "What would you rather have a stroke or some possible memory loss sometime in the future?"

Do you remember what your reply was? :twisted:
TomatoTomahto

Postby backofbeyond » Wed May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Two years ago, I had a laundry list of negative health issues. My family doc sat me down and had the "come to Jesus" meeting with me. You either lose 40lbs and stop drinking, or your dead. Instead of 40, I lost 60lbs. Gave up the bottle as well. Began watching what I eat like a hawk. As far as exercise, started out walking the dog for 2 hrs a day. Now I'm in the gym or playing squash 5 days a week. I then went back and had a blood test done and the Doctor said it was perfect...per-fect. I'm totally off all meds. I feel and people tell me I look 10-15 years younger.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. Diet is by far the biggest thing one can do towards getting healthy. And as far as exercise, its amazing, once you are "in shape" it really doesn't take that long to stay in shape. I exercise about 45 mins a day. I know others that are in pretty good shape and they only exercise 20 mins a day.

To me, it is amazing that people don't figure out how closely good health and quality of life are correlated. But then again, I was a couch potato myself just 2 years ago, so I can't throw stones.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
backofbeyond

Postby SPG8 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Levett wrote:"A possible remedy, he continues, could be for people to get in shape and raise their aerobic fitness before starting the drug, but that’s an issue to discuss with your doctor. “There’s still a great deal we don’t understand” about how statins and exercise mix, he says."

And these cats are from Duke.

That line is a throw away, they don't really believe your doctor knows anything.
SPG8

Postby Dibbels81 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:31 pm

I recommend the documentary "Statin Nation" (available on Youtube). The sooner you cease poisoning yourself, the better.
Dibbels81

Postby LadyGeek » Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Discussions of medical conditions are off-topic, this thread is locked. See: Forum Policy

Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues