Car accident with Medicare

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Car accident with Medicare

Postby CWRadio » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 am

If you are in a car accident in Michigan (with auto insurance) and your health insurance is Medicare Parts A and B who pays your medical bills? Is it Medicare or your auto insurance?
A friend of mine who just turned 65 was told my their auto insurance agent that their auto insurance will be increasing sine their auto insurance is primary for medical payments. Thanks
CWRadio

Re: Car accident with Medicare

Postby gerrym51 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 am

adlerps wrote:If you are in a car accident in Michigan (with auto insurance) and your health insurance is Medicare Parts A and B who pays your medical bills? Is it Medicare or your auto insurance?
A friend of mine who just turned 65 was told my their auto insurance agent that their auto insurance will be increasing sine their auto insurance is primary for medical payments. Thanks

its sort of true in certain cases-but-it's not easy to actually get it-hospitals and pharmacies rarely see this kind of claim-they forget how to process it if they haven't seen one for 5 years-you have to inquire and sometime actually be able to give the provider the process to do it-they will usually say no up front
gerrym51

Re: Car accident with Medicare

Postby lawman3966 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 am

While I'm not certain about Michigan, everywhere I've lived, the first question medical receptionists ask when making an appointment is whether the issue arises from a work injury or a car accident. They ask this because those events are covered by insurance other than your regular medical insurance: Workers Compensation and Auto insurance, respectively.

The one time I sought medical attention after a car accident, it was covered by my auto insurance, not my usual health insurance.

Thus, I suspect it's your auto insurance that pays, depending on the coverage you have. But, of course, you should verify this with both your auto and health insurers to be sure.
lawman3966

Return to Personal Consumer Issues