Neuberger Berman passive total bond Index

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Neuberger Berman passive total bond Index

Postby FoolStreet » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

I am looking for any advice on selecting a bond fund in my 401k. I have a "total bond fund" that tracks the Barclay's Index and has been passively managed for the past 3 years. It has an expense ratio of .06% which is great, but I do note that the fund slightly underperforms the Index. The fund is managed (passively) by Neuberger Berman.

I did a search on the boglehead site and could find no reference to the bond fund ("Neuberger Berman" "total bond" site:bogleheads.org), which is somewhat surprising considering that I work for a large company and I assumed there were some bogleheads that worked for the same big company. On the other hand, it does not look like NB offers this fund on it's own website to the general public.

Anyway, if it was simply a matter of noticing that the fund tracks an index and has a low exp ratio, I'd just pick that one for my bond holding and be done with it. Any input or thoughts?

There are no Vanguard TBM options in my 401k, however, I could pick a Vanguard TIPS fund (institutional, .05-.07 ER), or an intermediate investment grade Vanguard index (inst, .05-.07 ER) fund plus some other short term or long-term vanguard indexes.

I have a separate account of money that is akin to a 3 mo T-Bill rate whose rate resets 1x year. It's currently sub-inflation. I can't move or adjust that fund for now, so I'd like to augment it with another fund.

I was thinking of the following options:

a.ignore the 3mo TBIll influence since I can't affect it, and just split the remaining FI portion of the port 50/50 between the NB TBM and Vanguard TIPS

b. ignore the 3mo TBIll influence since I can't affect it, and just split the remaining FI portion of the port 50/50 between the Vanguard intermediate investment grade vanguard index fund and Vanguard TIPS

Any observations? Thank you.
FoolStreet

Re: Neuberger Berman passive total bond Index

Postby telemark » Fri May 10, 2013 11:22 am

FoolStreet wrote:Anyway, if it was simply a matter of noticing that the fund tracks an index and has a low exp ratio, I'd just pick that one for my bond holding and be done with it. Any input or thoughts?

Verily, thou hast said it. Just pick it and be done. I do the same in one of my 401k plans, except it's managed by Blackrock.

P.S. It's probably a Collective Investment Trust. The wiki has an entry at

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Collecti ... ent_Trusts

If so, the dividends are automatically added into the NAV, so you won't see them reported as a distribution. You still get them, though.
telemark

Postby FoolStreet » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Telemark. I went ahead and bought a sliver of each of NB's TBM and VG's TIPS funds today. This was a really big step for me since I've never actively gone out of my way to buy a bond fund really before.

I'm now at about 80/20 Stocks:Bonds at 40yo right now.

Yeah, bond yields suck and there is risk of loss of NAV during a rise of interest rates....but the presumption is that a rise in rates will hit stocks more than it hits bonds, so bonds will take the less bad hit in that scenario. We'll see.
FoolStreet

Postby FoolStreet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 pm

It has been over a year and no comments on this TBM bond fund topic. Not a big deal at all, except I'm surprised that no one from Megacorp seems to be a Boglehead regarding this TBM fund. (?)
FoolStreet

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments