Building VTI from other Index Funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Building VTI from other Index Funds

Postby benus217 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

I dont have access to VTI in my 401k Plan. Outside my 401k plan, i have built my profile using VTI , IJR, VPL, VGK , VWO and BND funds. I would need your help in building the VTI using index funds available in my plan. All the index funds listed below are from STATE STREET GLOBAL ADVISORS with ER 0.06%.I already checked http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxim ... ock_Market link but it doesn't list any SSGA funds.

S&P 500 Index fund
S&P Midcap 400 Index Fund
Russell 2000 Smallcap Index Fund
Nasdaq 100 Index Fund

Thanks,
Ben
benus217

Re: Building VTI from other Index Funds

Postby livesoft » Thu May 09, 2013 6:41 pm

It doesn't matter who the index funds come from. It only matters which index they follow. So the wiki has essentially the same funds listed, since they follow the same indexes. That is the link you gave has your answer.

OTOH, I would suggest not believing the wiki and using the methodology in the wiki to figure it for nowadays. Well, not exactly the methodology there, but simply use the Morningstar X-ray tool in a trial-and-error fashion to get something close enough for you.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments