Wells Fargo Brokerage Fees??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
hcutrock

Wells Fargo Brokerage Fees??

Post by hcutrock »

Why is there an $8.95 fee for trading NO transaction Fee Mutual Funds,after my 100 free trades are used up?

Wells Fargo's answer:

Once you have used all 100 commission-free trades in a WellsTrade
brokerage account linked to a Grandfathered PMA Package, you are
assessed a $8.95 commission fee thereafter for any stocks priced at
$1.00 or more per share or ETFs. In addition, there is a $35.00
transaction fee for no-load transaction fee mutual funds.

Question?:

I :oops: was talking about NO load,NO transaction Fee Funds.
livesoft

Re: Wells Fargo Brokerage Fees??

Post by livesoft »

I am not Wells Fargo, so I cannot answer your question. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

have youa ctually been charged the 8.95? i would guess that the NTF mutual funds would still be NTF.
Topic Author
hcutrock

Post by hcutrock »

I already asked Wells Fargo AND that's what i got. Guess i will ask them again!

I put in a buy for a NTF fund and the preview showed $8.95 Fee. I did not continue.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

One of the bad things about Wells Fargo was that their email people were pretty useless. Unless it involved pointing you to a form or something, they either didn't know or couldn't do anything about your situation. Unfortunately you generally have to call to get reasonable customer service.

Brian
Last edited by Default User BR on Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

hcutrock wrote:Why is there an $8.95 fee for trading NO transaction Fee Mutual Funds,after my 100 free trades are used up?

Wells Fargo's answer:

Question?:

Sounds clear to me. You are being charged an $8.95 brokerage fee. That has nothing to do with the fund. Loads are applied to the fund and transaction fees apply to some funds in addition to the brokerage fee. My question is how did you manage to run out of 100 free trades?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
tfb

Post by tfb »

pkcrafter wrote:My question is how did you manage to run out of 100 free trades?
:D Complete the 101th trade and see what happens.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Default User BR

pkcrafter wrote:Sounds clear to me. You are being charged an $8.95 brokerage fee. That has nothing to do with the fund.
There's no brokerage fee with WellsTrade. It sounds like an error. The OP needs to call WF to ask them.

Brian
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I wonder if the Op is confusing a NTF Mutual Funds and No Load MFs (but trading fee) with its equivalent ETF? In that case, the ETF would be subject to an $8.95 trading fee after the free 100. NTF Mutual Funds shouldn't count towards that 100, but $35 trading fee No-LOAD do. And if you finished out your 100 trades, then you would pay either $8.95 or $35, depending on if you are trading an ETF vs a MF.

For instance, I have some VTI and VTSSX in my WellsTrafe account. Both are total US market, but one is the ETF and the other is a No-Load (but transaction fee) MF. Before using up my 100 trades, neither incurs any cost for me to buy or sell. If I used up all 100 of my free trades however, I would have to pay $35 to buy or sell VTSSX or $8.95 to buy or sell VTI. This is what I think the Op is seeing and what they want to buy or sell is NOT actually a NTF Mutual Fund.

Op, what ticker are you trying to trade?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

hcutrock wrote:Why is there an $8.95 fee for trading NO transaction Fee Mutual Funds,after my 100 free trades are used up?

Wells Fargo's answer:

Question?:

I would consider other brokerage options for my ETF account. An ETF account with Vanguard has no fees if the shareholder buys shares in Vanguard offered ETF's.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Default User BR

The legacy WellsTrade PMA is a much better deal. You can buy any ETF or stock (should you be inclined) and most mutual funds, without transaction fees. WF has a number of Signal share class Vanguard funds that are equivalent to Admiral class in ER.

Brian
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

The Op and I talked over a PM. This was a case that the MF was NTF when originally bought, but no longer is. Confusing part is that some other duds from this family are still NTF.

This isn't exactly the easiest info to find at WF. I personally had to use a "Custom Screener" to find out if it was NTF or just No-Load. This should be something WF makes much easier to find!