IRS publication -- maxing out 401k and IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bogleenigma

IRS publication -- maxing out 401k and IRA

Post by bogleenigma »

Ladies and gents, can you direct me to the IRS publication that states that one can contribute BOTH the max of $17,000 to a Traditional 401k and $5,000 to a Roth IRA (as long as you are within income guidelines) for 2012? My accountant appears to be confused.
linguini

Re: IRS publication -- maxing out 401k and IRA

Post by linguini »

This is not tax advice, but for informational purposes:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/ch ... 1000230988
TheIndexer

Post by TheIndexer »

If your accountant doesn't understand this basic concept, it's time to find a new accountant.
Topic Author
bogleenigma

Post by bogleenigma »

TheIndexer wrote:If your accountant doesn't understand this basic concept, it's time to find a new accountant.
I'm beginning to think so. In fairness, there are some major complications in my taxes this year . But I'm beginning to think so. Up until this she has been brilliant (as far as I could tell). The decision making process on that matter is greatly complicated by the fact that she is my deceased mother's best friend. :( So, in getting a new accountant I would be severing a friendship. Sad. Sad.

Christopher
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Another vote for a new accountant. This is one of the most basic tax related investment concepts... that IRA limits are separate from 401k/403b limits and both separate from 457 limits.

I wouldn't assume a friendship will break. People leave relationships every day that are both professional and personal in nature. There's likely any easy excuse about location, needs, other opportunities, etc. In fact, as a professional, I would (and have) specifically not do (done) business with someone I know personally.
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

This is such a fundamental piece of knowledge that I would strongly question the competence of the accountant.