Please help with AA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bundy

Please help with AA

Postby bundy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello everyone. Im new to investing, mostly because I am just starting my career after being in school for a long time

Im in my 30s. I have a very stable 6 figure job and have no debt. I live in NY and am in the 33% tax bracket.

Here is what I have

ROTH IRA $10,500 Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund. Its only 10% total bond market, 63 total stock market and 27% total international stock market
I plan to contribute max every year the backdoor route.
401k - just started to contribute, plan to max out every year. Havent looked at the options of the plan yet

Taxable

Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares ($10k)
Vanguard New York Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares (10k)
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Investor Shares (3k)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares (5k)
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (12k)

I plan to contribute another 20-30k to my taxable per year.

What do you think? Should I be holding something like Vanguard total bond market in my roth IRA since I already have Total International and Total stock market in my taxable? Also, how "tax friendly" is total international?
Thank you!

ieee488

Re: Please help with AA

Postby ieee488 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 pm

You'll need to list your 401K choices with expense ratios for people to help.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

Mill

Postby Mill » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Total international is supposedly pretty tax-friendly as you can claim some tax breaks due to having paid foreign taxes if its held in a taxable account. After just having filed for 2012, I was somewhat disappointed with this tax break, but I guess it was better than nothing.

bundy

Postby bundy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 pm

The way I see it, since my Roth IRA will grow tax free, I should put in whatever combination is likely to have the largest return over 30 years. As I get closer to retirement, I should use more bonds to decrease risk. So is Vanguard retirement 2045 a suitable choice? Or should I use total bond market since I'll get the growth tax free?

Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:49 pm

bundy wrote:The way I see it, since my Roth IRA will grow tax free, I should put in whatever combination is likely to have the largest return over 30 years. As I get closer to retirement, I should use more bonds to decrease risk. So is Vanguard retirement 2045 a suitable choice? Or should I use total bond market since I'll get the growth tax free?

It's suitable if you are comfortable with that level of risk. Total Bond Market currently yields 1.63% - if you are aiming for growth of capital, I would use the Target Fund that will automatically re-balance overtime to a more conservative allocation. I would select a Target fund that holds a minimum of 20% bonds, I think 90% is overly aggressive at your age. Yes, I would put the highest total return fund in the Roth and anything that yields taxable income.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”