Investment in taxable account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
S_YAGNESH

Investment in taxable account

Post by S_YAGNESH »

Hi,

I am planning to invest in Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF in a taxable account and the reason I want to do this is to be able to liquidate it and reclaim the money. My questions are:

1. Is VTI a good investment for a taxable account?
2. Are there other ETFs that I should be looking at besides VTI for investment in a taxable account?

I am not a citizen and might have to leave the country at any time which makes it difficult for me to invest in tax deductible and tax-advantaged investments like IRA. That is primarily the reason for me to look at investments that can be quickly liquidated if need be. If this topic has already been discussed please point me to the thread.

Thanks
Yagnesh
Last edited by S_YAGNESH on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Default User BR

Re: Investment in taxable account

Post by Default User BR »

It's a perfectly acceptable choice for taxable. It's difficult to give any sensible advice without more information. See: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=6212

Brian
dbr

Re: Investment in taxable account

Post by dbr »

S_YAGNESH wrote:Hi,

I am planning to invest in Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF in a taxable account and the reason I want to do this is to be able to liquidate it and reclaim the money. My questions are:

1. Is VTI a good investment for a taxable account?
2. Are there other ETFs that I should be looking at besides VTI for investment in a taxable account?

If this topic has already been discussed please point me to the thread.

Thanks
Yagnesh
VTI is liquid. You can buy and sell pretty much any amount of this ETF at any broker whenever the market is open.

Reclaiming your money may be a different issue as the price at which you can sell may be less than the price at which you bought. If that is a problem, then this is not a good investment for you.

More information about what you are trying to do would be helpful.