Dallas Radio Guys

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Dallas Radio Guys

Postby OldBlueDog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 pm

OK, I'm an old guy brand new to BOGLEHEADS and I hope I'm not immediately stepping on toes, so her goes. In the Dallas area there are at least two financial planners with radio shows who say that their clients did not lose any money in the market collapse of 2008. My skeptical side says this is too good to be true, but I'm also one who lost 43% of my equity in 2008. I know BOGLEHEADS believe in buy and hold. Any thoughts on this subject?
OldBlueDog

Re: Dallas Radio Guys

Postby EyeYield » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

So apparently they told their clients to sell everything late in 2007 and told them precisely when to get back in early 2009??

And their clients actually listened and have the statements to prove it?

Or maybe they didn't lose money until they failed to get back in at the perfect time and accumulated their loses during 2009 - 2013 from not holding??
That would make the 2008 statement true.

Or maybe all their clients were 100% in CD's??

Or maybe their clients are made up?

The only real way to answer these questions is to give these guys your money and wait.

Bogleheads believe in a lot more than buy and hold.
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads®_investment_philosophy

In a nut shell:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep Costs Low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
*11 Don't listen to the noise.

* I added.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
EyeYield

Postby zebrafish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 am

I would advise you to change the station
zebrafish

Postby nedsaid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:41 am

These type of guys are usually full of baloney.

It was like Elaine Garzarelli. She accurately predicted the stock market crash in 1987 and became a market guru. Her subsequent predictions turned out to be wrong most of the time.

One great call does not make a good market forecaster. Pretty much got lucky.
A fool and his money are good for business.
nedsaid

Postby Johm221122 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 am

It is meaningless if these guys have beaten market in past, they still do not know future.Indexing will allow you not to worry about underperforming in future. Financial advice is great for savings goals, asset allocation, taxes and planing advice, but for future stocks or funds that will beat market it is pretty much useless
John
Johm221122

Postby Aptenodytes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 am

If you spend an hour or two reading the information contained in the Wiki and following some of its links you will be able to answer this question for yourself, which is a much better place to be in than simply having people tell you the answer.
Aptenodytes

Postby bberris » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 am

They are annuity salesmen, and they are on talk radio stations almost everywhere. Want to do the same thing? (Never lose money but participate in market gains, I mean, not go on the radio). Buy bonds, and use the bond income to buy s&p 500 options. I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying that this is not all that difficult. You will get weak returns, but never lose money, and participate in some market gains. You will also avoid the huge costs imposed by their radio shows, free dinners ...
bberris

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments