Anniversary Free Portfolio check

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Anniversary Free Portfolio check

Postby meebers » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Received an email from VG which offered me a "FREE" portfolio check on my anniversary. Wondering what experiences others may have had doing this, how extensive was the check up or was it mostly "chat" type talk. :D
meebers

Re: Anniversary Free Portfolio check

Postby 2retire » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Did you receive it via the secure message facility on their site, or to your normal email address where phishing attacks can come in? Has it been a year since you joined them?
2retire

Postby pkcrafter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 pm

I agree with 2retire that this sounds a bit suspicious. Did anyone ask for your account number, password, etc? Could be legit, but I'm not aware that Vanguard calls investors unannounced.

Paul
pkcrafter

Postby Dale_G » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 am

Yes pk, Vanguard does make unannounced calls - in my case usually from a new "personal representative". But in the case of the op, it was communication via email.

Vanguard does offer a annual portfolio review to Admiral investors and probably to others. If the op is interested in a portfolio review, he/she can call Vanguard at the main number and make the arrangements.

To the op. The procedure is normally to fill out a questionnaire - and there is an initial phone call. Vanguard will then generate a report based on the questionnaire and initial phone call. There will then be a second scheduled phone call to discuss the report and any actions you wish to take.

I think an occasional review is useful, particularly for relatively new investors. Vanguard will "discourage" over-weighting sectors and should encourage simplicity. You clearly don't have to take the advice - and if any big changes are suggested, you can always get a second opinion at the Bogleheads. (at one time Vanguard was discouraging TIPS - and suggesting an actively managed fund called "Diversified Equity" - Bogleheads often didn't agree with these suggestions!)

My last review was about three years ago, and the suggested changes were minor. I won't be doing another one soon. I already know what they will suggest:

1. Get rid of the individual stock that I have in a taxable account
2. Consolidate the six different bond funds I have in my IRA into Total Bond Market!

I think it is a worthwhile exercise, even if it just reinforces your belief that you have everything figured out. :D

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Dale_G

Postby pkcrafter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks, Dale, I didn't know that. You said Admiral investors, did you mean Flagship investors?

Paul
pkcrafter

Postby meebers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes I have been with them for over a year now, and I do have admiral shares. However, I have not acted on it yet. It was an unsolicited email, which I get often from them, but they had a number to call, 855-716-xxxx. I tried to look it up on the internet, some versions of look up engines, showed it in UK?? others did not recognize that number. Did a limited search on their website, had not luck in finding that number. (unless VG does not want it published??) But will call the real number tomorrow and inquire as to what if any this email means and if they sent it. Will post back afterwards with the results in case others may receive this email. Tx Dale, I kinda got a feel for what to expect.
Last edited by meebers on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
meebers

Postby Dale_G » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Thanks, Dale, I didn't know that. You said Admiral investors, did you mean Flagship investors?

Paul

Yes. Maybe age is really catching up with me.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Dale_G

Postby meebers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Made the call today and after talking to an initial representative, he was able to verify that VG did in fact send me that email. It took him about 15 minutes to verify. After that, he transferred me to a another individual who screened what I wanted to do or what my concerns were. After that, he in turn transferred me to the 3rd individual who was a Vanguard Certified Financial Planner. I told him what my concerns were, asked his advice and after about 1/2 hour concluded what the course of action should be. Nothing major, moved a couple of funds (exchanged) and invited me to call back anytime for further questions. Yes it was free :mrgreen:
meebers

Postby pkcrafter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks for the follow-up. We can all relax now. :happy

Paul
pkcrafter

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments