VEU or VXUS for 3-fund portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

VEU or VXUS for 3-fund portfolio

Postby Day9 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Should I buy VEU (Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US ETF) or VXUS (Vanguard Total Intl Stock Idx ETF ) for my 3-fund portfolio? I prefer ETFs. Thanks

Sean
Day9

Re: VEU or VXUS for 3-fund portfolio

Postby BBL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

VXUS is generally considered the superior choice.
To win without risk is to triumph without glory. Pierre Corneille
BBL

Postby moneytobless » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I agree with BBL. But if you do this in a taxable account, VEU may be a good replacement fund if you tax-loss harvest.
moneytobless

Postby harikaried » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:47 pm

VXUS: 6184 holdings, 0.16% expense ratio (international large/small + emerging)
VEU: 2313 holdings, 0.15% expense ratio (international large + emerging)
harikaried

Postby LazyNihilist » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm

If you have an opportunity to buy both, all other things being equal, VXUS is the better choice.
But sometimes you might get VEU commission free @ some brokerages like TD Ameritrade but not VXUS, then you have a case for VEU.

Looking at their performance on Google Finance, I can find very little difference between both of them.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:52 pm

I like VXUS better, because it includes small caps, but I own the mutual fund equivalent of VEU in taxable because of a terrific tax-loss harvesting opportunity I had last summer from the VXUS mutual fund equivalent.

Calculated as a percentage of my overall retirement portfolio that leaves me a little less than 1% under weight in international small caps, so the difference isn't enough to bother about.

PJW
Phineas J. Whoopee

Postby BBL » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I like VXUS better, because it includes small caps, but I own the mutual fund equivalent of VEU in taxable because of a terrific tax-loss harvesting opportunity I had last summer from the VXUS mutual fund equivalent.

Calculated as a percentage of my overall retirement portfolio that leaves me a little less than 1% under weight in international small caps, so the difference isn't enough to bother about.

PJW

Maybe we traded. :P I TLH'd at the close on June 1, 2012 from FTSE LG Admiral :arrow: TISM Admiral. Just so you know that TLH alone required 3 8949s - I managed to have ST losses with basis reported, without basis reported and some LT to boot. Maybe you got luckier the other way.
BBL

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 am

BBL wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:I like VXUS better, because it includes small caps, but I own the mutual fund equivalent of VEU in taxable because of a terrific tax-loss harvesting opportunity I had last summer from the VXUS mutual fund equivalent.

PJW

Maybe we traded. :P I TLH'd at the close on June 1, 2012 from FTSE LG Admiral :arrow: TISM Admiral. Just so you know that TLH alone required 3 8949s - I managed to have ST losses with basis reported, without basis reported and some LT to boot. Maybe you got luckier the other way.

That's what happened alright. How are my old shares doing? Yours are just fine, in case you've been wondering about them. They were a little under the weather for a while, but all recovered now. :happy

8949s - well, it wasn't too bad for me this time around. The good thing is now all my taxable shares are covered.

PJW
Phineas J. Whoopee

Postby BBL » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 am

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:That's what happened alright. How are my old shares doing? Yours are just fine, in case you've been wondering about them. They were a little under the weather for a while, but all recovered now. :happy

8949s - well, it wasn't too bad for me this time around. The good thing is now all my taxable shares are covered.

PJW

I'm glad to hear the old shares are doing well, yours are doing just fine too, thanks for asking :D they've grown nicely with a few minor growing pains along the way. I've provided a nice home but they know the deal: If they start acting up out they go, maybe we can trade back when the time comes :beer
BBL

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments