[State Street Global Advisors] SSgA Funds [in my] ADP 401K

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

[State Street Global Advisors] SSgA Funds [in my] ADP 401K

Postby SweetCheeks » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 pm

The only index funds my 401K offers are SSgA which are not publicly traded. There are plenty of managed funds that are publicly traded (have ticker symbols) but these SSgA funds are a little obscure. My main question is are they safe and should I invest in them? I could instead choose a managed target date fund like the T.Rowe Price or American Century LIVESTRONG but I'd like to try the index approach. Also, what does Lending vs. Non-Lending mean and should I be concerned with the classes? FYI, I'm 36 and these are the funds available to choose from. I'd really appreciate some advice on this. Thanks.

SSgA U.S. Inflation Protected Bond Index Non-Lending Series Fund - Class G
SSgA U.S. Bond Index Securities Lending Series Fund - Class VIII
SSgA S&P 500 Index Securities Lending Series Fund - Class IX
SSgA S&P Mid Cap Index Non-Lending Series Fund - Class J
SSgA Russell Small Cap Index Securities Lending Series Fund - Class VIII
SSgA International Index Securities Lending Series Fund - Class VIII
SSgA REIT Index Non-Lending Series Fund - Class G
SweetCheeks

Re: [State Street Global Advisors] SSgA Funds [in my] ADP 40

Postby Duckie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 pm

SweetCheeks, SSgA funds are safe, good funds. They don't have ticker symbols because they are common trust funds. They usually have reasonable expense ratios, but it depends on your specific plan. Lending vs. Non-lending is an internal issue and you can ignore it.

To find out about the specific funds, type the name into your browser search engine and look for the pdf Fact Sheet. For example, "SSgA S&P 500 Index" gives me this page. Scrolling down I find the link to this pdf. The class is different than yours, but that only affects the expense ratio. Everything else is the same.

They are good options. Use them.
Duckie

Postby coolguy954 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 pm

I have SSga S%P 500 index fund in my 401k with my company. Also a bunch of SSgA mix index funds for example, the SSgA Aggressive Strategic Balanced Fund which is a a copy of Vanguard LifeStrategy funds...With each of them having a 0.03% expense ratio (not a typo) :sharebeer
coolguy954

Postby SweetCheeks » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Geez, all the SSgA funds available to me have expense ratios of 0.7 to 0.9. I think ADP is tacking on a healthy charge for themselves in this plan. There's really nothing I can do except take solace in the fact that I get 4% employer match. Maybe that will make up for the exorbitant fees.
SweetCheeks

Postby coolguy954 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:39 am

SweetCheeks wrote:Geez, all the SSgA funds available to me have expense ratios of 0.7 to 0.9. I think ADP is tacking on a healthy charge for themselves in this plan. There's really nothing I can do except take solace in the fact that I get 4% employer match. Maybe that will make up for the exorbitant fees.

where does your employer match go? All of my company match goes into the company stock of my 401k :oops: Maybe they threw my a bone with these very cheap index funds. Based on my salary the company "match" is less than 1% :confused
coolguy954

Postby SweetCheeks » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am

My employer match goes towards whatever funds I've chosen from the 401K plan. It's starting to look like that will be the SSgA funds.
SweetCheeks

Postby coolguy954 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 pm

SweetCheeks wrote:My employer match goes towards whatever funds I've chosen from the 401K plan. It's starting to look like that will be the SSgA funds.

0.7 and 0.9 aren't that bad. My none index funds are from 0.9-1.5% expense ratio :annoyed
coolguy954

Postby ruralavalon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am

Welcome to the forum :) .

SweetCheeks wrote:Geez, all the SSgA funds available to me have expense ratios of 0.7 to 0.9. I think ADP is tacking on a healthy charge for themselves in this plan. There's really nothing I can do except take solace in the fact that I get 4% employer match. Maybe that will make up for the exorbitant fees.

The SSgA funds are good funds, use them even with that higher add-on expense ratio.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
ruralavalon

Postby dbr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Yep, SSGA by itself is down around 0.0%. Don't they have to document exactly what they are doing?
dbr

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments