Investing windfall -> down payment?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Investing windfall -> down payment?

Postby nhpri » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:55 am

I have been very fortunate, and will be receiving a mid-six-figure sum.
I'm in my late twenties, and am trying to decide how best to
invest/allocate this money aside from the basics of maxing out
tax-advantaged accounts.

Specifically, my concern right now revolves around how much money NOT to
invest for the long term. I'm currently planning to invest most of it in a
85/15 stock/bond mix. However, there is a possibility that I may want to
buy a house sometime in the next few years, and I'm wondering what to do
about saving for a down payment. Is it a reasonable strategy to invest the
entire sum and take a margin loan against the account if I need to pay for
something like a down payment? Is this even allowed?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I recognize that this is a nice
problem to have.
nhpri

Re: Investing windfall -> down payment?

Postby ddj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Some on this forum (with a "few years" time horizon) save for down payments with bonds/ST bonds/CDs. Others lump their house down payment in with their retirement asset allocation and then withdraw money from a taxable account when they're ready to buy (and buy more or less house depending on how the invested money has done). You could do either, a hybrid, or something else with down payment money. I'm no expert, but taking out a loan (a margin or, essentially, line of credit) on invested dollars to make a down payment sounds like a bad idea.

Aside from and prior to deciding which method to use, consider these questions: How much house were you planning on buying prior to the windfall? How much now? Is there a difference, and if so, why? What was your pre-windfall financial situation (emergency fund? annual savings?)? I'm a big proponent of going slow with windfalls. Even ignoring them for awhile, as you define your goals.

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall

And yes, nice problem to have :D
ddj

Postby grabiner » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 pm

nhpri wrote:Specifically, my concern right now revolves around how much money NOT to
invest for the long term. I'm currently planning to invest most of it in a
85/15 stock/bond mix. However, there is a possibility that I may want to
buy a house sometime in the next few years, and I'm wondering what to do
about saving for a down payment. Is it a reasonable strategy to invest the
entire sum and take a margin loan against the account if I need to pay for
something like a down payment? Is this even allowed?

You really have two different portfolios, for retirement and for a house. 85/15 is a reasonable allocation for your retirement funds; it is not a reasonable allocation for money you are going to spend in three years. The house down payment should be in something low-risk such as CD's.

If you have almost all your investments in stock, and then you take out a margin loan, you will then have more than 100% of your investments in stock. This is probably not a risk you want to plan to take. A portfolio which was 120% stock would have lost 75% of its value in the 2007-2009 crash; $120,000 in stock and $20,000 borrowed would have become about $46,000 in stock and $21,000 borrowed.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Postby MN Finance » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 am

As mentioned you don't take out a margin loan to buy a house. You'll have a higher and variable rate and also be subject to a margin call if the market drops too far and have to put cash in. Invest the majority per your long term goals and then the house money in something safe
MN Finance

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments