Rebalancing template/spreadsheet

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Rebalancing template/spreadsheet

Postby InvestorNewb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a free rebalancing template/spreadsheet download for Microsoft Excel?

I'm looking for one that shows current allocation and desired allocation, and how much money needs to be reinvested to reach the desired allocation.

I'm also looking for one that is easy on the eyes - so simple & aesthetic.

Thanks!
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
InvestorNewb

Re: Rebalancing template/spreadsheet

Postby SSSS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I could send you a copy of mine if you like the look of it. It's a Google Docs spreadsheet so that it can update prices automatically -- it could be exported to Excel, but the automatic price updating would be lost. I've heard there are ways to do automatic price updating in Excel, but I haven't messed with it.

Only the blue cells are edited directly; everything else is calculated from them. Column H has several levels of conditional formatting going from yellow to red as things dirft further out of balance. If you're not using ETFs and don't have to worry about rounding off to the nearest share, some of the columns could be deleted.
SSSS

Postby InvestorNewb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the offer, SSSS. I'm also using ETFs, but I am looking for something a little simpler.

I also don't have Google Docs, so I would prefer to use a remote template.
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
InvestorNewb

Postby DSInvestor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I also like Google Docs which is free. If you have a gmail account, you have google docs. The GoogleFinance() function in Google Docs makes it really easy to get prices for US stocks, ETFs and mutual funds. Once you have that, you can design the spreadsheet yourself very easily.

Here's a page describing the googlefinance() function:
http://support.google.com/drive/bin/ans ... wer=155178
DSInvestor

Postby nydad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:55 pm

You can use the smf_addin (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/) to pull stock quotes into excel. There are others as well...
nydad

Postby Raptor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

SSSS wrote:I could send you a copy of mine if you like the look of it. It's a Google Docs spreadsheet so that it can update prices automatically -- it could be exported to Excel, but the automatic price updating would be lost. I've heard there are ways to do automatic price updating in Excel, but I haven't messed with it.

Only the blue cells are edited directly; everything else is calculated from them. Column H has several levels of conditional formatting going from yellow to red as things dirft further out of balance. If you're not using ETFs and don't have to worry about rounding off to the nearest share, some of the columns could be deleted.

SSSS, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I prefer to use Google docs for this - would love a copy / link, if you can make it available. Many thanks! :)
Raptor

Postby grabiner » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

There are links to several examples on the wiki, as well as a guide for how to make your own:Using a Spreadsheet to Maintain a Portfolio
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Postby money » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Awesome Google Docs suggestion for automatic price updates, thanks!

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/ans ... wer=155178
1Fi1LTvx8KmtotRqcha9mj5h43319mJvjY
money

Postby cykoballer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi SSSS, I'm also interested in your rebalancing Google Doc template. Can you send a link to me? Thanks!
cykoballer

Postby michaelsieg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:21 am

SSSS - I like your rebalancing sheet a lot, it has a nice look to it and I hold almost the same asset classes - I saved a copy of the image you posted and will try to get it to work on an Excel file...the new Excel for mac apparently supports VBA - for some reason I am worried to upload my financial info to a google drive.
michaelsieg

Postby SSSS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 am

This link is a copy of my spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

That will take you to a read-only copy. If you're signed into a Google account, you can "Make a Copy" from the File menu & will be able to edit it. Even without a Google account, you can export a copy for Excel, however the =googlefinance() function isn't supported in Excel so you'd need to find another way to fill in share prices (or do it manually).

Under normal circumstances only the blue cells need to be edited. Everything else is automatically calculated. If you decide whether to rebalance based on how far off-balance you've drifted, you might consider tweaking the conditional formatting rules in column H to your desired values. I currently have white/yellow/orange/red based on how far from 100% of the desired percentage they are.
SSSS

Postby bogle_rad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 am

I have found this rebalancing template useful and relatively simple:

http://www.financialramblings.com/archives/asset-allocation-spreadsheet/
bogle_rad

Postby michaelsieg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm

SSSS - thanks a lot for posting the link, just downloaded it.
michaelsieg

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments