Backdoor ROTH [When is trade executed?]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Backdoor ROTH [When is trade executed?]

Postby xram » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Did backdoor roth conversion (to total bond) during the day (9 am) today.

I get the price at the end of the trading day today, correct?

Thanks
VTI, VBR, VTWV, SCHH, VXUS, VEA, VWO, VSS, FM, VNQI, VBTLX, VFITX, SCHP, VWITX, IBONDS, EEBONDS, EF(EverBank), UTAH-529
xram

Re: Backdoor ROTH [When is trade executed?]

Postby mhc » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 am

Mutual funds are priced at the close of the market. If the order went in before the end of the day, you should get the closing price today.
mhc

Postby Default User BR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:52 am

You would need to check with your custodian. It sounds like you did a conversion and purchase at the same time (I'm guessing Vanguard). There might be some delay associated with the conversion aspect, or perhaps not.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby livesoft » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:57 am

xram wrote:Did backdoor roth conversion (to total bond) during the day (9 am) today.

Thanks

You wrote "total bond", but did not specify if you meant BND, VBMFX, SWBLX, another ETF or what. Also, you did not specify your time zone. At 9 am eastern, the stock market was not open, but at 9 am pacific it was.

Anyways, it is now Saturday, so you can tell us the answer by looking at your account history. What happened?
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby xram » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:43 pm

livesoft wrote:
xram wrote:Did backdoor roth conversion (to total bond) during the day (9 am) today.

Thanks

You wrote "total bond", but did not specify if you meant BND, VBMFX, SWBLX, another ETF or what. Also, you did not specify your time zone. At 9 am eastern, the stock market was not open, but at 9 am pacific it was.

Anyways, it is now Saturday, so you can tell us the answer by looking at your account history. What happened?

Opened the trad IRA couple days before

Did the "exchange" from trad Ira (money market) to Roth Ira (vbmfx admiral) as described in original post....

Update: the exchange went through after the market closed on the same day I did the backdoor exchange.

Central time zone.

Thanks
VTI, VBR, VTWV, SCHH, VXUS, VEA, VWO, VSS, FM, VNQI, VBTLX, VFITX, SCHP, VWITX, IBONDS, EEBONDS, EF(EverBank), UTAH-529
xram

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments