Simplifing a portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Simplifing a portfolio

Postby Blister » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 am

Presently I have several different retirement plans. A 401K with my present employer. A Roth and traditional IRA. And two 403B accounts. One with TIAA-Cref and the other with Valic. I have been thinking about trying to simplify the number of accounts and am considering rolling the Valic over to my traditional IRA. Presently the Valic money is in what they call the "Fixed Account Plus" and pays a straight 4.5% which I think is the minimum according to the contract. I count this as a fixed income asset in my asset allocation.

My question is should I keep this where it is due to the good yield or transfer to My IRA and put the money in a bond fund?
Everthing works out in the end. If it doesn't then its not the end.
Blister

Re: Simplifing a portfolio

Postby NYBoglehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 pm

If you're getting a guaranteed 4.5%, I'd keep it where it is for now. If there is an expiration date on that rate I would roll it over afterwards.
NYBoglehead

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments