Online Tax Software - Multiple State Filings

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Online Tax Software - Multiple State Filings

Postby Sirrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Anybody know whether or not I have to pay the state e-file fee twice if I moved during 2012?
Is the fee imposed by the software company or by the government? I.e. If I were to do my taxes on pen and paper, would I have to pay a state filing fee?
Sirrip

Re: Online Tax Software - Multiple State Filings

Postby grabiner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

The act of filing is free (although if you file on paper, you have to consider the cost of the paper and mailing). The fees for filing are imposed by the software companies and vary by company. TurboTax, for example, charges $19.99 for state filing, but includes one free state e-filing if you use TurboTax online.

And you pay for each filing. For example, some states require you to file two forms if you earned income as a non-resident and then became a resident later in the year, and this will require two e-files (or an e-file and a paper file if the state doesn't allow you to e-file twice).
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Postby SSSS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 pm

TaxAct is the cheapest.

State tax forms tend to be much simpler than federal returns, so you might want to investigate doing at least one of the states on your own. You can still do the return in your tax software, not paying for it, but using it to verify the accuracy of your manual paper return.

In some of the tax programs, you used to be able to preview the actual completed tax form before paying, meaning you could just copy it onto a blank form, but I don't think any of the major tax programs will let you preview the state return anymore (you can preview federal, but copying it all onto paper is not worth it in my opinion).
SSSS

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Toons » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:35 pm

SSSS wrote:TaxAct is the cheapest.

State tax forms tend to be much simpler than federal returns, so you might want to investigate doing at least one of the states on your own. You can still do the return in your tax software, not paying for it, but using it to verify the accuracy of your manual paper return.

In some of the tax programs, you used to be able to preview the actual completed tax form before paying, meaning you could just copy it onto a blank form, but I don't think any of the major tax programs will let you preview the state return anymore (you can preview federal, but copying it all onto paper is not worth it in my opinion).

I just added another state to my TaxAct Return it was 10.00 efile included :happy
Tennesee return I am plugging in the numbers as mentioned above and will file at Tennessee website
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby og15F1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 am

When I did my taxes last year I filed in two states and paid for both using TurboTax
og15F1

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)