Question on Vanguard web site: hide fund with 0 balance

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Question on Vanguard web site: hide fund with 0 balance

Postby itworks » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm

I love the vanguard web site, simple yet easy to use.. It must be designed with serious user experiences considerations.

Just a quick question: I dislike seeing those funds with 0 balance listing there. Anyhow to configure my account to hide them? Searched around account settings but I could not find any.

Thanks!
itworks

Re: Question on Vanguard web site: hide fund with 0 balance

Postby livesoft » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Click on "Customize this page", then click on "Hide zero balance"
Simple yet easy to use.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Van » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Click on Customize Accounts ......I think it's on the upper right when you are viewing your accounts. Hide 0 balance accounts is an option.
Van

Postby itworks » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Awesome! Never noticed this.. shame on me (being working on some user-oriented projects for a while).
itworks

Postby SteveKL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am

B aware that while you can hide zero-balance mutual fund holdings in account view, they still appear in your list of available funds to trade when you click exchange to sell one fund (even your money market) for shares of another. So it is possible to mess up and buy back into a closed position if you're not careful.

My rep says those zero accounts disappear on their own "after awhile" but even he cannot delete them, only hide them, until they vaporize on their own.
SteveKL

Postby Carl53 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 am

SteveKL wrote:My rep says those zero accounts disappear on their own "after awhile" but even he cannot delete them, only hide them, until they vaporize on their own.

In the past you could delete them. A caveat, once they are gone for any reason, the history for those transactions is gone as well as the historical account totals are forever incorrect.
Carl53

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments