Treasury Direct site issues

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Treasury Direct site issues

Postby beanie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Did anybody else have trouble with Treasury Direct yesterday? I tried all day and could not get into the site -- anything at all starting with "treasurydirect.gov." I got various error messages: "servers over capacity", "the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" or just endless cycling.

The site looks normal today. But what happened yesterday is scary, don't you think?
beanie

Re: Treasury Direct site issues

Postby simplicity » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Beanie

Maybe the site wasn't down, but you might have been unable to reach it.
This can occur when your internet service provider has a routing problem, making it impossible for you to reach their site.
In order for you to reach a website, the communication travels a couple of routers on the internet to the ip address of the webserver of the website.
If their is a problem on a hop, and there is no alternative route towards the destination, you can experience this type of problem.
Other sites can be reachable at this moment, just try to see it as a certain part of the internet which is not reachable at a given time due to a technical problem.

Kind regards,

Simplicity
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. - Mae West
simplicity

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby dickenjb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm

I had the same problem. Fortunately I had set up purchases for my 2013 I bonds to happen automatically on Monday, and it happened.

Could be a lot of folks waiting until the last minute to order their 2013 ration of I bonds and still get a 1/1/13 issue date.
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments