Ibonds Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Ibonds Question

Postby ruanddu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Is it possible to purchase I-bonds with pre-tax money? Meaning, can you have payroll at your job invest a portion of your paycheck in Ibonds and reduce your taxable income?

Thanks.
ruanddu

Re: Ibonds Question

Postby SSSS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Not with pre-tax money, no. But you can have your employer direct some or all of your direct deposit (after-tax) to your Treasury Direct account.
SSSS

Postby ruanddu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying!
ruanddu

Postby Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 pm

SSSS wrote:Not with pre-tax money, no. But you can have your employer direct some or all of your direct deposit (after-tax) to your Treasury Direct account.

Actually, unless they reinstituted the program, you can't do that any longer since Treasury killed the payroll deduction option some time ago.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby SSSS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
SSSS wrote:Not with pre-tax money, no. But you can have your employer direct some or all of your direct deposit (after-tax) to your Treasury Direct account.

Actually, unless they reinstituted the program, you can't do that any longer since Treasury killed the payroll deduction option some time ago.

You still can, as described at http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/pro ... htm#dirdep (although the website seems to be having issues at the moment).

You just direct deposit to routing number 051736158, account number equal to your TD account number. This will direct the funds into your account (non-interest-bearing C of I), where you can manually purchase bonds at your convenience. This option doesn't require you to set anything up in advance on the TD side.

Alternately, you can also append a "P" to your account number, which will allow bonds to be purchased automatically, however you have to set that up in advance in your TD account ("ManageDirect » Establish My Payroll Savings Plan"). You specify EE or I, and the requested denomination (starting at $25). I verified the form is still there & working. Maybe you were thinking about the old paper bond direct deposit option?
SSSS

Postby Mel Lindauer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 am

SSSS wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

You still can, as described at http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/pro ... htm#dirdep (although the website seems to be having issues at the moment).

You just direct deposit to routing number 051736158, account number equal to your TD account number. This will direct the funds into your account (non-interest-bearing C of I), where you can manually purchase bonds at your convenience. This option doesn't require you to set anything up in advance on the TD side.

Alternately, you can also append a "P" to your account number, which will allow bonds to be purchased automatically, however you have to set that up in advance in your TD account ("ManageDirect » Establish My Payroll Savings Plan"). You specify EE or I, and the requested denomination (starting at $25). I verified the form is still there & working. Maybe you were thinking about the old paper bond direct deposit option?

Yes, that's what I was thinking about (paper I Bonds). I don't use TD, so I wasn't sure if they allowed it for electronic purchases, but I see they do. Thanks for that information.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments