Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Poll

Go for it, prices may never be lower
54
43%
DCA your way in over time
54
43%
Do nothing, a correction is near
9
7%
Other
8
6%
 
Total votes : 125

Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby InvestorNewb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello,

After months of reading the message boards, it looks like I've finally decided on my investment strategy and AA.

It's basically the 3-fund portfolio with REITs substituted for bonds. I plan on executing the trades this week.

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 60%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 20%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 20%

I will keep an extra 100k in cash or GICs. This will be used if a major correction occurs, but it will also be used as a back up for living expenses.

I'm excited to start having this money work for me. Up until now, it's been sitting in a bank account earning $0 interest and losing to inflation.

Looking for some final words of thought/encouragement....
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
User avatar
InvestorNewb
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Toons » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 pm

What is your time frame for the invested money? :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
User avatar
Toons
 
Posts: 4078
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby coinflip » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:08 pm

what made you decide to substitute REITs for bonds?
coinflip
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby crowd79 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Maybe it's just me, but that is a lot of money to throw into the market at once. I would DCA. If the market goes up, great. If the market goes down, then I would throw more money into the market along with my DCA strategy.
Last edited by crowd79 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crowd79
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby bottlecap » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 pm

It's risky allocation to begin with. If you're worried about losing money, it's a strange mix.

You might need more research.

JT
User avatar
bottlecap
 
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby ofcmetz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 pm

coinflip wrote:what made you decide to substitute REITs for bonds?



REIT's are more volatile and risky than many stocks in my opinion. They are in no way a substitute for bonds. Your portfolio is 100% equity as you state it. Now if you are investing 400K as you say, and then keeping 100K in cash that is a different story.
Showing up at the donut shop at 5 am to get them hot out of the oil is an example of successful market timing.
User avatar
ofcmetz
 
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby FoolStreet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

ofcmetz wrote:
coinflip wrote:what made you decide to substitute REITs for bonds?



REIT's are more volatile and risky than many stocks in my opinion. They are in no way a substitute for bonds. Your portfolio is 100% equity as you state it. Now if you are investing 400K as you say, and then keeping 100K in cash that is a different story.




Right. I don't see much distinction between cash and bonds at today's SEC yields. Therefore, 100k cash is 25pct in "fixed income". That's OK but otherwise I'd raise a red flag.
FoolStreet
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby SC Hoosier » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 pm

I don't have a problem with your asset allocation if your time horizon in over 20 years. Put it all in now. When interest rates rise, buy into bonds. I am in that boat, doing the same thing with a smaller amount of money.

If time horizon is less, then I agree with other posters that AA should be changed.

SC Hoosier
I live in No Payment Land. It is wonderful, and I'd love for you to live here too.
User avatar
SC Hoosier
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby livesoft » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:29 pm

If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft
 
Posts: 33065
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby crowd79 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:36 pm

livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


+1
crowd79
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Sbashore » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm

crowd79 wrote:
livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


+1


+2. I went back and read some of your past posts. If they are indicative of your thinking then it looks to me like you have some more thinking/learning to do. You're all over the map. You also seem a bit conflicted re: REITS.
Steve | Semper Fi
User avatar
Sbashore
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:38 pm
Location: Goodyear, AZ

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Calm Man » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:50 pm

livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


Livesoft, I have been thinking this. I an not a timer by any means but maybe I am psychologically a negative market timer. I am in the process of DCAing into stocks and bonds over a few years. let's not restart LS vs DCA as I couldn't sleep with a lump sum as it is my whole life's savings. So it is not optimal but works for me. I have seen the stock market go up every day. I have seen small investors now buying in after years away according to all reports. Newspapers are flashing how great stocks are to return to. And everybody says bonds are terrible risks. I have a feeling bonds will do fine and if anything, the stocks might be frothy. When small investors are putting billions into stock funds, somebody is on the opposite end of every trade. I won't deviate from my 2-3 year plan unless there is a major stock correction like 20% or more and then will accelerate the stock investments.
Calm Man
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby ks289 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:52 pm

livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


:D :D
ks289
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Buckeye » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I see a correction in next few months and a mild bear in the next year or two.

But I'm starting to doubt either of those events will result in a bottom much (if any) below current prices.

I'd DCA.
Buckeye
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby livesoft » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm

@Calm Man, sounds good to me. You have a plan and you are following it.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft
 
Posts: 33065
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby dbr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Sbashore wrote:
crowd79 wrote:
livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


+1


+2. I went back and read some of your past posts. If they are indicative of your thinking then it looks to me like you have some more thinking/learning to do. You're all over the map. You also seem a bit conflicted re: REITS.


I agree. Reasoning that one has a 3-fund portfolio except that REITs are substituted for bonds causes one to worry that you have not understood the basic starting point of determining stock/bond allocation. You may also not understand what a REIT is. It is also concerning that an additional $100K is "held back" when it would seem more rational to include that asset in the asset allocation. I assume you might be in Canada where we interpret GIC to be similar to a US CD, and not to some kind of indexed annuity insurance product.

It could still be that your proposed allocation is actually ok, although it is very risky*, as pointed out by a previous poster. Personally I would not favor starting out in investing with 20% (or is it really 16%) tilted to REITs.

*80/20 is very risky. If you want to think of the part that is just stocks and REITS, then that is crazy nuts risky, which is also ok if your really, really understand that is what you want to do.
dbr
 
Posts: 14036
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby thebogledude » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Also assuming this is in your taxable account? Allocation may or may not be risky, depending on your age and risk tolerance. I would go all in on International so you can tax-loss harvest.
thebogledude
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:40 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Let me know whent you are going in on the Reits - I'll sell you mine. :wink:

If the 400K is 80% of your holdings - why not mimic the allocation you've selected in taxable - 20% in reserves, 80% at risk? 100% all-in, experience is a tough task-master.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors
 
Posts: 9946
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby peppers » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 pm

I dunno...REIT's instead of bonds...you might have misinterpreted some things. OTOH, one of my sons has been investing for a dozen years or so, has never sold, and is 100% international, no bonds. Yes, we have some interesting father - son discussions.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:32 pm

A poll in this situation is not appropriate. Don't change the bonds for REITs, stay with bonds. Otherwise you have a 100% stocks / 0% bonds asset allocation. For a lot of reasons, the maximum risk you should take is 80% stocks / 20% bonds.

That being said, you should instead heed the guidance from your thread in the Financial Webring Forum, as you have to consider your tax advantaged accounts. See: Help with tax efficiency - portfolio setup. (InvestorNewb is a Canadian resident.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18325
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby smiley » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm

3) 45% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
20% Vanguard Total International Stock Index
35% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund

Does the above allocation seem reasonable for someone who is 30, with low risk tolerance?


this was from your second post from Sept 2012. i like it way more.


:happy
User avatar
smiley
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby WHL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 pm

I would absolutely DCA with that amount of initial investment.
WHL
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby pkcrafter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:Hello,

After months of reading the message boards, it looks like I've finally decided on my investment strategy and AA.

It's basically the 3-fund portfolio with REITs substituted for bonds. I plan on executing the trades this week.

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 60%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 20%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 20%

I will keep an extra 100k in cash or GICs. This will be used if a major correction occurs, but it will also be used as a back up for living expenses.


Is it just a 3 fund portfolio, or are there 4 asset classes? Is the 100k in cash part of your retirement AA? I think you have to clearly define what it's for so you know exactly what the AA of your retirement portfolio is.

If the 100k is not part of your retirement portfolio, why are you going from no equity to 100% equity? Why were at 0 before this?


Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter
 
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: CA

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby InvestorNewb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Toons wrote:What is your time frame for the invested money? :happy


It would be for retirement... so 30+ years away.

coinflip wrote:what made you decide to substitute REITs for bonds?


My allocation to REITs was somewhat inspired by David Swenson's portfolio.

Staying out of bonds is a choice I made for two reasons. The first reason is that for everyone who says to invest in bonds right now, there are an equal number of people advising against them. The second reason is that given the time horizon, I don't see why, at this stage, occupying a significant portion of my tax-free space with bonds is a good idea.

bottlecap wrote:It's risky allocation to begin with. If you're worried about losing money, it's a strange mix.

You might need more research.

JT


Vanguard's Target Retirement 2045 fund only has 10% in bonds. My investment will be less risky than this since I will be holding 20% in cash.

ofcmetz wrote:REIT's are more volatile and risky than many stocks in my opinion. They are in no way a substitute for bonds. Your portfolio is 100% equity as you state it. Now if you are investing 400K as you say, and then keeping 100K in cash that is a different story.


Vanguard sees REITs as less risky than the Total International Stock Index.

livesoft wrote:If you need us to vote on it, then you are not really committed. You need to get to the point where you think, "I don't care what anybody else thinks ... I'm going all in!"

Let me know when you do this because that's the day I will probably sell everything.


The day is close. I've never been more ready than now.

dbr wrote:I agree. Reasoning that one has a 3-fund portfolio except that REITs are substituted for bonds causes one to worry that you have not understood the basic starting point of determining stock/bond allocation. You may also not understand what a REIT is. It is also concerning that an additional $100K is "held back" when it would seem more rational to include that asset in the asset allocation. I assume you might be in Canada where we interpret GIC to be similar to a US CD, and not to some kind of indexed annuity insurance product.

It could still be that your proposed allocation is actually ok, although it is very risky*, as pointed out by a previous poster. Personally I would not favor starting out in investing with 20% (or is it really 16%) tilted to REITs.

*80/20 is very risky. If you want to think of the part that is just stocks and REITS, then that is crazy nuts risky, which is also ok if your really, really understand that is what you want to do.


Yes, I am referring to a Guaranteed Investment Certificate. I am from Canada, and also have a basic understanding of REITs.

The 80/20 allocation is riskier than others, but as I pointed out in a previous response, some of Vanguard's TR funds are riskier.

thebogledude wrote:Also assuming this is in your taxable account? Allocation may or may not be risky, depending on your age and risk tolerance. I would go all in on International so you can tax-loss harvest.


About 95k of the portfolio will be in tax-advantaged space (maxed). So I will place REITs in there.

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Let me know whent you are going in on the Reits - I'll sell you mine. :wink:

If the 400K is 80% of your holdings - why not mimic the allocation you've selected in taxable - 20% in reserves, 80% at risk? 100% all-in, experience is a tough task-master.


I'm not sure I follow the second part of your question ...

LadyGeek wrote:A poll in this situation is not appropriate. Don't change the bonds for REITs, stay with bonds. Otherwise you have a 100% stocks / 0% bonds asset allocation. For a lot of reasons, the maximum risk you should take is 80% stocks / 20% bonds.

That being said, you should instead heed the guidance from your thread in the Financial Webring Forum, as you have to consider your tax advantaged accounts. See: Help with tax efficiency - portfolio setup. (InvestorNewb is a Canadian resident.)


I've already received good advice from Financial Webring from a tax perspective. You will note that I made many posts on that forum last week. I'm aware of the tax implications for my investment.

In the last couple of days, some of the folks on there have told me that I'm suffering from analysis paralysis and that I'm trying to get things too perfect. In other words, they are encouraging me to stop tinkering with my portfolio composition and AA - to take the leap and be done with it.

WHL wrote:I would absolutely DCA with that amount of initial investment.


Isn't lump sum a better position to take 2/3rds of the time?

pkcrafter wrote:Is it just a 3 fund portfolio, or are there 4 asset classes? Is the 100k in cash part of your retirement AA? I think you have to clearly define what it's for so you know exactly what the AA of your retirement portfolio is.

If the 100k is not part of your retirement portfolio, why are you going from no equity to 100% equity? Why were at 0 before this?

Paul


I would have 4 asset classes, with cash being one of them.

I was at 0 before this because I didn't know much about investing. I sort of had a "casino" perspective of the stock market.

Basically everything I know is thanks to the message boards.
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
User avatar
InvestorNewb
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby BBL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 pm

The anticipation is killing me. :|

I'm waiting for your poll that starts with: Here's what I actually bought; what do you think?

Will we get one of those?...
To win without risk is to triumph without glory. Pierre Corneille
User avatar
BBL
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby crowd79 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm

20% in cash. Good luck keeping up with inflation on having that much in a Money Market Account or Savings paying less than 1%. Even if a Bond's NAV decreases for a while, the distribution yield can more than make up for it over time.
crowd79
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby bertilak » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I voted "go for it" but almost wish I said "other". I really wanted to say "first be sure you are happy with your AA and then go for it." Be sure your AA is attractive to you in both up and down markets otherwise you may not be able to "stay the course."

With those REITs (which I like, btw) you are 80/20 equity/fixed-income. Seems a bit aggressive. My tendency is to settle on an equity/FI split then carve out a small portion of the equities for RETIs.
No-one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it sometime you will see why. | -- Mignon McLaughlin
User avatar
bertilak
 
Posts: 3158
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby livesoft » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm

I think the OP will be too embarassed not to stay the course after all the ribbing we have given him/her. After all, analysis paralysis works both ways.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft
 
Posts: 33065
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby JW Nearly Retired » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I voted other.......... didn't read all your old threads but did see you have been paralyzed worrying this since October. My chief concern is I know nothing about how you came to be sitting on $500k cash. Is this from bailing out in 2008, or what? If it has any bailing aspect, then 0% bonds is not a good idea. 20% bonds is not a good idea either. Maybe you could try 40%.

What other financial facts go with this $500k cash? I can imagine only some that would make me say OK to that AA.
JW
Retired Summer 2013
JW Nearly Retired
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Toons » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm

So you say 30 years is your time frame,that being said ,choose YOUR asset allocation then
go "All In" and sign an investment contract with yourself,that you WILL absolutely stay the course,as
the market goes throught its bull and bear cycles for the next three decades.Just keep reinvesting the cap gains and dividends along the way.You WILL be rewarded. Time is on your side. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
User avatar
Toons
 
Posts: 4078
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby letsgobobby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 am

Cash as bonds, and 20% of portfolio in it, is aggressive but not crazy.

I just don't think you have the conviction to stick with your plan if markets start falling. Which suggests to me that even though 80% stocks and 20% cash/ultrashort bonds is not crazy, it's still not the right AA for you.
letsgobobby
 
Posts: 6909
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby umfundi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 am

OK, so here we are. Monday, January 28, 2013.

You and I are equal, except I am fully invested, while you have $400k in cash.

1. What should you do?
2. What should I do?

Either you should buy or I should sell. There is no middle ground.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Call_Me_Op » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am

As others have stated, replacing bonds with REITs is a bad idea.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Call_Me_Op
 
Posts: 4621
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby gt4715b » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

1. The DCA idea is more to reduce the chances that you'll regret your decisions if stocks selloff in the next month or two. How are you going to feel if stocks drop 20-30% next month? If you can deal with it go ahead and invest it all now. If not, DCA might be the way to go.

2. Your asset allocation is kind of weird the way you've configured it. If all of the 500k is for retirement you should treat it all as one account. So you proposed asset allocation is actually:

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 48%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 16%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 16%
Cash - 20%

So a 80/20 stock/bond split is pretty reasonable, but holding the bond position as cash (0 duration) in a retirement account doesn't make much sense; you should at least invest in Short-Term Gov't bonds, unless of course you're getting CD/GIC rates that are really good.

3. I haven't read all of your other posts, but with this much money at a relatively young age do you have a NEED to be so heavily invested in equities? How about a 60/40 stock/bond mix? I really fear that being heavily invested in stocks you're going to sell out when the market falls.

I would recommend that you take 1-2 years living expenses out of the money to use as an emergency fund, then invest the remainder as:
Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 36%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 12%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 12%
Short-term Bond (BSV) - 40%
gt4715b
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:29 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Calm Man » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm

The suspense is killing me. Newb, did you do it?
Calm Man
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Easy Rhino » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

a) I dont' remember your earlier posts, but what are you currently invested in? If it's all 'cash', then i would DCA instead of jumping in all at once. However, if you have some sort of allocation that has significant risk in it (like your proposed one), then you could probably do it in one fell swoop.

b) I agree that you should include the cash as part of your portfolio. So instead of what you wrote:
Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 60%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 20%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 20%

It would be:
Total Stock 48%
Total Intl 16%
REIT 16%
Cash 20%

c) Assuming you plan to retire in Canada,I dont' think it would be wrong if you wanted to have a bit of a bias toward Canadian stocks or bonds. Although I don't know the investment vehicles to attempt such a thing.

d) The calling your cash as "reserves" sounds like you think you might be able to time the market with it. Which I doubt is true, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Easy Rhino
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby InvestorNewb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 pm

BBL wrote:The anticipation is killing me. :|

I'm waiting for your poll that starts with: Here's what I actually bought; what do you think?

Will we get one of those?...


Calm Man wrote:The suspense is killing me. Newb, did you do it?



Fairly soon. 8-)

livesoft wrote:I think the OP will be too embarassed not to stay the course after all the ribbing we have given him/her. After all, analysis paralysis works both ways.


letsgobobby wrote:I just don't think you have the conviction to stick with your plan if markets start falling. Which suggests to me that even though 80% stocks and 20% cash/ultrashort bonds is not crazy, it's still not the right AA for you.



I'm not sure why some folks don't think I will stay the course. If there is a downturn in the market, it would be foolish to sell unless I needed the money for an emergency of some sort. I don't anticipate this happening.

Several years ago, I bought an AIG stock and saw it lose about 50% of its value. I waited almost an entire year for it to recover and sold it then. It was on a much smaller scale, mind you, but the same principle applies.

JW Nearly Retired wrote:I voted other.......... didn't read all your old threads but did see you have been paralyzed worrying this since October. My chief concern is I know nothing about how you came to be sitting on $500k cash. Is this from bailing out in 2008, or what? If it has any bailing aspect, then 0% bonds is not a good idea. 20% bonds is not a good idea either. Maybe you could try 40%.

What other financial facts go with this $500k cash? I can imagine only some that would make me say OK to that AA.
JW


I had $0 invested in 2008... The cash was accumulated in the last 3 years thanks to my online business. But it has been extremely volatile in the last 10 months or so, which has caused me to look for other avenues to grow my savings.

gt4715b wrote:1. The DCA idea is more to reduce the chances that you'll regret your decisions if stocks selloff in the next month or two. How are you going to feel if stocks drop 20-30% next month? If you can deal with it go ahead and invest it all now. If not, DCA might be the way to go.

2. Your asset allocation is kind of weird the way you've configured it. If all of the 500k is for retirement you should treat it all as one account. So you proposed asset allocation is actually:

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 48%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 16%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 16%
Cash - 20%

So a 80/20 stock/bond split is pretty reasonable, but holding the bond position as cash (0 duration) in a retirement account doesn't make much sense; you should at least invest in Short-Term Gov't bonds, unless of course you're getting CD/GIC rates that are really good.

3. I haven't read all of your other posts, but with this much money at a relatively young age do you have a NEED to be so heavily invested in equities? How about a 60/40 stock/bond mix? I really fear that being heavily invested in stocks you're going to sell out when the market falls.

I would recommend that you take 1-2 years living expenses out of the money to use as an emergency fund, then invest the remainder as:
Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) - 36%
Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) - 12%
Vanguard REIT (VNQ) - 12%
Short-term Bond (BSV) - 40%


Losing 20-30% in a month would be depressing. But cashing out at that time, thereby losing any hope of a recovery - would be even worse.

I sometimes feel that I won't meet my retirement goals if I'm not heavily invested into equities right now. My goal is to have 20x my current net worth in retirement.

Also: we sometimes hear about seasoned investors who regret not taking on more risk when they were younger. This is my chance to take action, and not regret that decision down the road.

Easy Rhino wrote:c) Assuming you plan to retire in Canada,I dont' think it would be wrong if you wanted to have a bit of a bias toward Canadian stocks or bonds. Although I don't know the investment vehicles to attempt such a thing.


In the last 24 hours or so, I've been thinking about using the MSCI Canada Index ETF (VCE) in my tax-free savings account. This would represent about ~5% of my portfolio, but it would max out the space in that account. My understanding is that this fund is the equivalent to the US's VTI ETF, but for Canada instead. My main reason for doing this would be to not have to pay any withholding tax on the dividends.
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
User avatar
InvestorNewb
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby JW Nearly Retired » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:I'm not sure why some folks don't think I will stay the course. If there is a downturn in the market, it would be foolish to sell unless I needed the money for an emergency of some sort. I don't anticipate this happening.

Several years ago, I bought an AIG stock and saw it lose about 50% of its value. I waited almost an entire year for it to recover and sold it then. It was on a much smaller scale, mind you, but the same principle applies.

JW Nearly Retired wrote: I voted other.......... didn't read all your old threads but did see you have been paralyzed worrying this since October. My chief concern is I know nothing about how you came to be sitting on $500k cash. Is this from bailing out in 2008, or what? If it has any bailing aspect, then 0% bonds is not a good idea. 20% bonds is not a good idea either. Maybe you could try 40%.

What other financial facts go with this $500k cash? I can imagine only some that would make me say OK to that AA.
JW


I had $0 invested in 2008... The cash was accumulated in the last 3 years thanks to my online business. But it has been extremely volatile in the last 10 months or so, which has caused me to look for other avenues to grow my savings.

OK, I changed my vote to lump sum. Good luck.
JW
ps..... it won't let me make a change, but you can use my intention to break the current tie.
Retired Summer 2013
JW Nearly Retired
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby bengal22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

With a 30 year horizon I say - jump in now with all of it.

I do agree that your allocation is too aggressive and would recommend an 80/20 stocks to bonds. But with 100K in cash maybe you are already there and you just need to put the cash into a total bond fund.
User avatar
bengal22
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby peppers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Counter proposal

70% (including your Canadian Fund)
30% (your short term cash position)


P.S. I did not vote yet
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Kuota Rider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

BBL wrote:The anticipation is killing me.

I'm waiting for your poll that starts with: Here's what I actually bought; what do you think?

Will we get one of those?...




Calm Man wrote:The suspense is killing me. Newb, did you do it?



Fairly soon.


Soon?.....You've lost another two days.
Kuota Rider
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:In the last 24 hours or so, I've been thinking about using the MSCI Canada Index ETF (VCE) in my tax-free savings account. This would represent about ~5% of my portfolio, but it would max out the space in that account. My understanding is that this fund is the equivalent to the US's VTI ETF, but for Canada instead. My main reason for doing this would be to not have to pay any withholding tax on the dividends.

To those waiting in suspense, there will be a short delay. He's asking about VCE over in the Financial Webring Forum, this thread: VCE vs EWC ETFs
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18325
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby linuxuser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:In the last 24 hours or so, I've been thinking about using the MSCI Canada Index ETF (VCE) in my tax-free savings account. This would represent about ~5% of my portfolio, but it would max out the space in that account. My understanding is that this fund is the equivalent to the US's VTI ETF, but for Canada instead. My main reason for doing this would be to not have to pay any withholding tax on the dividends.

To those waiting in suspense, there will be a short delay. He's asking about VCE over in the Financial Webring Forum, this thread: VCE vs EWC ETFs


If there was an emoticon for ROTFL aka it will never end, I would use it here.
User avatar
linuxuser
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby dickenjb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am

I do not understand why someone would go from 100% cash to 80% equities. Does this $500K represent his entire portfolio? How old is he? What is his time horizon? More questions than answers here.
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby crowd79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 am

S&P is up 6% in January. The cost of waiting continues.....
crowd79
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby BBL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am

linuxuser wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:In the last 24 hours or so, I've been thinking about using the MSCI Canada Index ETF (VCE) in my tax-free savings account. This would represent about ~5% of my portfolio, but it would max out the space in that account. My understanding is that this fund is the equivalent to the US's VTI ETF, but for Canada instead. My main reason for doing this would be to not have to pay any withholding tax on the dividends.

To those waiting in suspense, there will be a short delay. He's asking about VCE over in the Financial Webring Forum, this thread: VCE vs EWC ETFs


If there was an emoticon for ROTFL aka it will never end, I would use it here.


Those of you out there suffering from acute analysis paralysis that think you need more options to choose from, please raise your hand now.

Not so fast InvestorNewb....

This is the thread that just keeps on giving. :beer
To win without risk is to triumph without glory. Pierre Corneille
User avatar
BBL
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby letsgobobby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 am

dickenjb wrote:I do not understand why someone would go from 100% cash to 80% equities. Does this $500K represent his entire portfolio? How old is he? What is his time horizon? More questions than answers here.

John, from his other threads I think he came into the money from a business in a shirt period of time. It's a very good question.
letsgobobby
 
Posts: 6909
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 pm

crowd79 wrote:S&P is up 6% in January. The cost of waiting continues.....


The year is not over yet. You don't realize the cost until you pay it. :moneybag
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors
 
Posts: 9946
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby InvestorNewb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that I have finally bitten the bullet and invested the full 400k.

After months of deliberation, here is what I finally decided on:

Corporate Account
70%: Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI)
30%: Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS)

Tax-Deferred Account (RRSP)
100%: Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ)

Tax-Free Account (TFSA)
100% Vanguard MSCI Canada Index ETF (VCE)

As a total portfolio, here are the percentages:

VTI: 54%
VXUS: 24%
VNQ: 16%
VCE: 6%

The average expense ratio for this portfolio is 0.11%. 8-)

I also saved ~25% of my original net worth in cash, which should help me sleep better at night. This is not part of the 400k.

I've applied a DRIP to my TFSA account to re-invest all dividends back into VCE. DRIPs aren't available in the other accounts, so I will be re-investing those dividends manually.

I would like to thank all of the folks on here who helped shape my decision-making process. I was pretty much clueless about investing before arriving here, and I have definitely learned a lot in the last 6 months.

I will continue to be an active member on the forums, as I still have plenty to learn.

Thank you again. :beer
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
User avatar
InvestorNewb
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Going all in with $400k... need some final encouragement

Postby letsgobobby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Is this a sign of a market top? :D

No, seriously: congratulations! :sharebeer
letsgobobby
 
Posts: 6909
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Next

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bling, Doom&Gloom, Exabot [Bot], Funkey, irishbear99, miles monroe, RUNNERDAD33 and 60 guests