Roth IRA Rollover

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Roth IRA Rollover

Postby lebowski2211 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 pm

My wife has an old Roth IRA (she opened it in 2006 or so) that I am attempting to rollover into a new account. It has about $2k in it, and is currently getting essentially zero return since it is invested in cash/bonds.

What are our best options for rolling over this old IRA into a new account? I would prefer to invest in a low fee index fund/ETF. I am currently looking at Vanguard's Total Stock Market ETF (VTI). Not sure if this is my best option but from my research, this appears the best option so far. Anyone aware of any better, low cost funds?

Anyone have any suggestions? I am all ears.

Thanks,

The Dude
lebowski2211

Re: Roth IRA Rollover

Postby tainted-meat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Which custodian as the Roth IRA?
tainted-meat

Postby lebowski2211 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

SunTrust bank.
lebowski2211

Postby linuxuser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Where to rollover the Roth IRA should be part of your overal investment strategy/portfolio.

Certainly Vanguard's ETFs expenses are very low, but that doesn't help you if a downturn in the market makes you sell.
linuxuser

Postby damjam » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

lebowski2211 wrote:What are our best options for rolling over this old IRA into a new account? I would prefer to invest in a low fee index fund/ETF. I am currently looking at Vanguard's Total Stock Market ETF (VTI). Not sure if this is my best option but from my research, this appears the best option so far. Anyone aware of any better, low cost funds?

Vanguard is a very good low cost provider of Index Funds and ETFs.

It sounds as if you still need to do a little more reading/researching before you make any moves.
What fund is best for you and your wife depends on several factors. One is whether or not you have any other investments. Another is, what is your desired asset allocation.

I would start by reading some of the WIKI, you can begin with the Getting Started page.

If you choose to post additional information we can give you better informed answers. You can use the format suggested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212
damjam

Postby pkcrafter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Sun Trust is going to charge much higher fees than Vanguard, so consider transferring. Call Vanguard for instructions. Once there, you might consider a target retirement fund, but before choosing one you need to decide on proper asset allocation to stocks vs bonds for your wife's new account. 100% stock is not a good choice.

Paul
pkcrafter

Postby Alan S. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Generally speaking, banks are not a good place for your IRA unless you want to limit yourself to CDs.
Alan S.

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments