Moving back abroad in February--Roth IRA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Moving back abroad in February--Roth IRA?

Postby northernisland » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 am

I am moving back abroad in February after about a half year in the US. As I understand it, any foreign excluded income can't count towards qualifying to contribute to a Roth. However, since I will still be paying income tax on about the first 40 days of 2013, I am wondering if I can contribute to my Roth and by how much.

Will I calculate what portion of the year I am present and that will be my taxable income (and thus eligible to add to a Roth)? For instance 40/365 means I will be in the US for 10.95% of the year. Does this mean I can put 10.95% of my income into a Roth IRA for 2013, up to $5000? (For information purposes, my wife and each make around 2-30,000, so there is no danger of us surpassing the cap on excludeable income.)

The only thing I see complicating this is that I will be paid slightly more during the period when I am abroad because of a cost of living adjustment.

I know this is a bit of an odd-ball question. Probably the easiest thing would be to wait until I've done my 2013 taxes, but if I can put some of the money in in January, I'd like to do that. I'm hoping one of you has done this before.
northernisland

Re: Moving back abroad in February--Roth IRA?

Postby plats » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 am

Certainly not an odd-ball question. Yes, you can fund a ROTH with your domestically earned income. The amount is self-assessed on Form 2555, and your formula looks OK, though I'd say adjusting for the lower salary while in the USA would be the most appropriate way.
plats

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments