tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Postby justus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 am

I recently moved my roth ira from etrade to vanguard and noticed that after the money was moved, I had a zero balance for a few days, and now there are a few cents in my old Roth. I received what must have been a distribution from a sweep fund. Do I just leave it there at Etrade? Will they charge me a low balance fee and leave me with a negative balance?
justus

Re: tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Postby celia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 am

I would call ETrade and ask them your questions. If they were supposed to move the entire IRA, this left-over dividends should have gone with it (although they hadn't yet received it from the stock company).

I converted an entire traditional IRA to a Roth at ETrade at the end of a year. The balance was 0 on Dec 31. A few days later, I had a couple of dollars in the account. Moving that to the Roth soon after was a conversion for the next year.
celia

Re: tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Postby bertilak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 am

I have moved investments, both as liquidated cash and as actual shares, from one brokerage to another several times. There were always a few "crumbs" that showed up days later and they were always (eventually) moved as well with no extra action on my part.
No-one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it sometime you will see why. | -- Mignon McLaughlin
bertilak

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments