Mystery dividend

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Mystery dividend

Postby sage_joch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Today in my Vanguard account I noticed a small dividend from CCU of about $0.0448/share.

The weird thing is I sold all of my CCU shares in March. Note there was a split last week of 2.5:1 - the per-share amount above is based on the number of shares I would have today if I hadn't sold.

Any possible explanation for this dividend? :confused
Last edited by sage_joch on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sage_joch

Re: Mystery dividend

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Lots of explanations. I'll make some up:

You didn't say when it was paid, just that you noticed it now. Maybe look more often?

Date of Record was months ago, but Payable Date was this week.

Vanguard should have paid you months ago and just found the money.

VBS is a poor excuse for a brokerage.

Etc.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby sage_joch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks livesoft. It was paid yesterday. I'll assume it's your last guess, even though it's still odd.
sage_joch

Postby bertilak » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:09 pm

From a Vanguard web page:
Each fund's year-end income dividend will include net income for the full calendar year ...

So some income earned early in the year is paid at year end.
No-one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it sometime you will see why. | -- Mignon McLaughlin
bertilak

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments