Long-term investment advice for 30 yr old

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Long-term investment advice for 30 yr old

Postby cjh007 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I am 30 and have $170K with Vanguard that I want to invest for the long term.
This is an Inherited IRA that I moved into Vanguard about 4 years ago into mostly MM and Target 2045 funds which have performed poorly.
I want to diversify most for the long term but want some of it to remain liquid.
I do not need this money to live on now.
I am thinking of dollar cost averaging $45K a month for 3 months ($15K into each fund) into the following Vanguard Funds:
Health Care (VGHCX)
Small Cap Growth (VISGX)
Wellington (VWELX)
Emerging Markets Index (VEIEX)
Inflation Protected Securities (VIPSX)
REIT Index (VGSIX)
Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX)
Total international Stock Market Index (VGTSX)
Energy (VGENX)

Does this sound like a solid plan for a 30-year old who knows little about investing? I want to build up a nice retirement portfolio as this may be my only one.
cjh007

Re: Long-term investment advice for 30 yr old

Postby livesoft » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:56 pm

At least the Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 fund has done well over the last 4 years (better than many of the funds you listed), so I wonder what your definition of "performed poorly" is.

So just based on that, I would suggest you use 100% Vanguard Target Retirement 2045.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Re: Long-term investment advice for 30 yr old

Postby Calm Man » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:00 pm

OP, you may not be aware of this but there is no need for any liquidity. You cannot touch this for almost 30 years. Second, I think you are overcomplicating things. I would arrive at your desired allocation and do it in a 3 fund portfolio of TBM, TSM and TISM or a 2-fund portfolio of TBM and TSM or use a target retirement or life strategy fund as you have done. You don't need to deal with so many funds.
Calm Man

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments