Suggestions for 2013 Roth Contribution? Help!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Suggestions for 2013 Roth Contribution? Help!

Postby lynneny » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:29 pm

I usually contribute to my Roth IRA at Vanguard in January ($6,500 for 2013). I generally invest in Vanguard's high-yield bond, REIT (VNQ) or TIPS funds, all funds I want to hold in a tax-sheltered account but that aren't available in my 401(K).

All three funds have done so well that they're pretty fully-priced. Should I:

1) Buy one or more of them anyway as my Roth contribution this year.

2) Is there another good fund worth owning in a tax-sheltered account that isn't as fully priced?

I was thinking about buying GNMA, but yield has really dropped. I read about Vanguard's international REIT, VNQI, on a thread here. I don't have any international real estate exposure, just domestic through VNQ and my mortgage on a NY co-op (but I consider that my home more than an investment).

I know this is a small amount, but any suggestions would be very welcome, so I don't spend too much of 2013 waiting for inspiration to strike!
Thanks,
lynneny
lynneny

Re: Suggestions for 2013 Roth Contribution? Help!

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I think it really depends on what your asset allocation calls for. Rather than adding new funds simply because they appear well-priced, or others appear not so, why not simply add what you need most given your IPS (investment policy statement)? So you would add up the total value of your assets, divide it by the appropriate funds and allocations, and buy whatever percentages you need to get back to your stated allocation.

Stay the course? :beer
whiskeyfinance - personal finance for the poor: https://whiskeyfinance.wordpress.com/
RyeWhiskey

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments