Index Funds or VTINX (Target Retirement Income)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Index Funds or VTINX (Target Retirement Income)

Postby woodedareas » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm

I am 70 years old and after much research and a conversation with a Vanguard senior investment advisor I am about to use some of my IRA funds in the Target Retirement Income Fund (VTINX).
It has an AA of about 70/30. I was previously considering simply using 70% in the Vanguard total bond index and about 30% in the total stock index. My prime consideration is to preserve my principal as I am still working and I do not need risk at this time. At my age I can not replicate my savings so I am seeking very low risk. However, if the return is so low I would consider doing nothing with my cash and let it sit until rates go up or if they go up.I wonder if anyone else is in my position, and what your thoughts are on VTINX versus total market funds. Also how would you rate the risk component of the VTINX fund.

For my personal tax sensitive account he suggested the Vanguard Intermediate Tax Exempt fund for 70% (Perhaps some international) and 30% again in the Vanguard total stock index.

I plan to make contributions spread out over 12 months rather than lump sum for purposes of my sanity.I would appreciate any thoughts.
woodedareas

Re: Index Funds or VTINX

Postby livesoft » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm

"...what your thoughts are on VTINX versus total market funds. "
I don't understand the question since VTINX is just packaged total market index funds, isn't it? In one case you are buying total market funds and in the other case you are buying total market funds.
Send me a pm to put your ad here.
livesoft

Re: Index Funds or VTINX (Target Retirement Income)

Postby Taylor Larimore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 pm

woodedareas:

Based on the information provided, I think you should probably accept the Vanguard Advisor's suggestion.

Keep investing simple.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby abuss368 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 am

The Target Income fund is an excellent plan. This fund offers a low cost diversified investment.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby lks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I had my single sister in law roll her 401K into this fund when she retired, at age 70, a year ago. Other than S.S., this is her only pension. I don't use this fund because, 5% in Prime, would be $80K earning nothing and I am also a Die Hard that believes in my 60% bonds being split 50%/50% Tot. Bnd & Tips. So I am 67% LifeStrategy Moderate Growth & 33% Tips. I envy your young age.
lks

Postby Groundhog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 pm

I would go with the Target Retirement Income Fund rather than the individual index funds. The fund auto re-balances so you don’t have to work at keeping the 30/70 AA. In addition, with RMD’s just around the corner, you don’t have to worry about which fund to take the RMD from.

I assisted my parents in moving all their IRA’s to the Target Retirement Income Fund last year and they have been happy with the results. They are in their early-mid 70’s.
Groundhog

Postby ourbrooks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Here's a very different alternative: Put it all in a money market fund. Whenever you retire, buy a Single Premium Immediate Annuity with most of your money.
At age 70, the payout is already 7.76%; if you retire at age 75, it will be 9.94% (or more, if interest rates rise). It's extremely unlikely that the Target Retirement funds or individual index funds are going to get anywhere close and you'll have to tolerate market ups and downs with them.

You might not want to put all of your cash with the first purchase but leave out some to make additional purchases, say, every five years. The increase in payout due to age will more than compensate for the effects of inflation.

SPIAs are one of the few things that really do get better as you get older (or, at least, pay out more).
ourbrooks

Postby YDNAL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 pm

woodedareas wrote:I am 70 years old...
woodedareas wrote:For my personal tax sensitive account he suggested the Vanguard Intermediate Tax Exempt fund for 70% (Perhaps some international) and 30% again in the Vanguard total stock index.

Woody,

If you have significant money in Taxable ("tax sensitive") accounts, you are in a high(er) tax bracket, and should use Tax Exempt Bonds plus Total Stock Market in addition to a Target Fund, I prefer individual Index Funds to come-up with the overall allocation.

If you want to target VTINX's allocation, then it could look something like this.
Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund (VTINX) wrote:1 Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares* 44.9% [good in tax-advantaged (not taxable)]
2 Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares 21.2% [good in tax-sensitive]
3 Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund Investor Shares 19.9% [definitely in tax-advantaged (not taxable)]
4 Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares 9.1% [good in tax-sensitive]
5 Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund 4.9%
Total — 100.0%
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=2

What does the following quote mean?:
woodedareas wrote:However, if the return is so low I would consider doing nothing with my cash and let it sit until rates go up or if they go up.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
YDNAL

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments