Hi again, been a while. My taxable, 403(b) and Roth IRA are with Fidelity for the sake of ease and I've been waiting until reaching the Spartan fund minimums which would have taken a few more months. Now that they have lowered their minimums for the Spartans (Investor - $2,500, Advantage - $10,000), I can finally achieve the Three Fund Portfolio I've been desiring.
Here's the current situation:
EF: 3 months
Debt: ~10,000 on car @ 3.9%, a few hundred on credit card for glasses and groceries, will be paid off soon.
Tax Filing: Single
Tax Rate: 15% Federal, 0% State
State: NH (but will file in MA in 2013 due to recent move)
Desired AA: 80% Stock, 20% Bond
Desired Intl: 30%
15% FBGRX - Blue Chip Growth 0.90%
9% FLPSX - Low-Priced Stock 0.88% --> 100% to Spartan Global ex-US Index Investor Class
10% FSRRX - Strategic Real Return 0.76% --> 100% to Spartan Global ex-US Index Investor Class
Roth IRA: 29%
2% ACWX - iShares MSCI ACWI Ex-US Index 0.35% --> 100% to Spartan Total Market Index Investor Class
11% AGG - iShares Core Total US Bond Market 0.08%
8% FNMIX - Fidelity New Markets Income 0.87%
2% IVV - iShares Core S&P 500 0.07% --> 100% to Spartan Total Market Index Investor Class
1% IWM - iShares TR Russell 2000 Index 0.23% --> 100% to Spartan Total Market Index Investor Class
3% PM - Phillip Morris Intl --> 100% to Spartan Total Market Index Investor Class
24% FSTVX - Spartan Total Market Index Advantage 0.07%
11% FSGDX - Spartan Global ex-US Index Advantage 0.28% --> 100% to Spartan Total Market Index Advantage
TBD - Just moved to an apartment going from $0/mo rent to $1000. January 2nd, job transferring to new company and will receive a ~40% raise.
~$9,000 from rollover of 403(b) and State Retirement funds (3 years) into TIRA. I will not receive matching at new employer until after a year of service.
With the lowering of Spartan fund minimum investments, I'd like to finally make the switch to the Three Fund Portfolio but am wondering when the best time would be. January of this year, I sold off a good chunk of my taxable portfolio to pay off student loans - dumb idea in retrospect, but it was the option that made sense to me at the time since they were both over 6%. I'd like to put all international into the taxable account, keep the bonds in the Roth, and put TSM in TIRA (403b for now). At the moment, FSRRX in the taxable is at a loss (~4%) so I could sell that holding to at least get the minimum for Global ex-US Investor class, as well as counter a small bit of the capital gains from January. Selling either FBGRX or FLPSX will accrue more taxes (though the vast majority LTCG). Since I'm under the 25% bracket, should I sell these prior to higher salary?
In the Roth, I'd like to sell the IVV, IWM, ACWX and put to AGG. I can't seem to let go of FNMIX since it's performed very well, and I'll think about selling PM, but my AA doesn't require the entire Roth IRA in bonds at the moment.
As for the 403(b), when the 90-day holding period of the FSGDX is up, I'll transfer that to FSTVX. Any new contributions will go toward FSTVX.
Since there's no guarantee that I can max my Roth IRA contributions for this year as well as next year, would you recommend moving some of the taxable to Roth up to the maximum? YTD I've been able to contribute $3k to the Roth and the minimum allowed to 403(b).
Last edited by ImprezaRacer13
on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.