AAPL

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Re: AAPL

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:Yes, I too meant the stock is the risky asset. The problem is, once the stock hits the strike price you are left with a risky asset with no reward. When I sit on risky assets, I demand to be paid.

And you ado get paid, no question about it. The advantage of the covered call is the $9.70. The question is, is it enough. And that's a tough one. When you put it like you did, it looks like any price would be "enough" because the seller would have sold at $100 anyway. But with the option, they don't get to sell as soon as the stock reaches that price and that's the entire point of the option and its valuation.
Per your advice, what's the alternative?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
ogd

Post by ogd »

Sell the stock now or continue holding for tax reasons if he must, no option transaction. Then the rewards for risk are clear and you don't have to wonder whether that $9.70 was a good price. Which mich_bogle is probably in no position to determine compared to his Wall Street counterparts.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:Sell the stock now or continue holding for tax reasons if he must, no option transaction. Then the rewards for risk are clear and you don't have to wonder whether that $9.70 was a good price. Which mich_bogle is probably in no position to determine compared to his Wall Street counterparts.
Fundamentally you miss the point that mich doesn't want to sell the stock now, so you're recommendation is not in-line with the request.

It is his trade, irrespective of any opinions of AAPL itself.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:Sell the stock now or continue holding for tax reasons if he must, no option transaction. Then the rewards for risk are clear and you don't have to wonder whether that $9.70 was a good price. Which mich_bogle is probably in no position to determine compared to his Wall Street counterparts.
When would it be appropriate to use covered calls? Never?
ogd

Post by ogd »

airahcaz wrote:Fundamentally you miss the point that mich doesn't want to sell the stock now, so you're recommendation is not in-line with the request.
I'm not missing that point, it's why I said "or continue holding for tax reasons". I also think selling is best. I consider myself free torrecommend something he can do but doesn't want to right now. Continuing to assume that undiversified risk in exchange for a couple of percentage points in taxes is not worth it.
airahcaz wrote:When would it be appropriate to use covered calls? Never?
For individual investors, never. Now if you have math and econ PhD s on staff and can spot options that are slightly overpriced, then maybe.

Btw, it's not an argument I see you making. If you had argued with numbers that this option was actually worth $9.50 and mich_bogle got a good deal, I would have thought to myself "now that's a guy who knows his stuff".
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Fundamentally you miss the point that mich doesn't want to sell the stock now, so you're recommendation is not in-line with the request.
I'm not missing that point, it's why I said "or continue holding for tax reasons". I also think selling is best. I consider myself free torrecommend something he can do but doesn't want to right now. Continuing to assume that undiversified risk in exchange for a couple of percentage points in taxes is not worth it.
airahcaz wrote:When would it be appropriate to use covered calls? Never?
For individual investors, never. Now if you have math and econ PhD s on staff and can spot options that are slightly overpriced, then maybe.

Btw, it's not an argument I see you making. If you had argued with numbers that this option was actually worth $9.50 and mich_bogle got a good deal, I would have thought to myself "now that's a guy who knows his stuff".
It's a bit irrelevant on my expertise, and actually you hijacking my thread as the OP, but more importantly it is your opinion to never use covered calls, and rather advise a stock holder to sell the stock instead. Instead Mich is trying to get 109.7 when the stock hits 100. Let's agree to disagree.

Back to topic, hope AAPL a continues up its merry way and once it hits 100, let's combine forces and assess the option price and see how we can advise mich.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

new 52 week high...
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

airahcaz wrote:new 52 week high...
New all-time high
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

airahcaz wrote:
New all-time high
Good time to sell (and exchange for total market index funds). :D
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

oldzey wrote:
airahcaz wrote:
New all-time high
Good time to sell (and exchange for total market index funds). :D

Yep.. I sold a decent-sized chunk at 100.81 yesterday. Now all I have remaining are the optioned shares (see above).
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I also paired down my trimmings a bit. My holdings are $88.59 pre-2014 split per share/$12.66 post-2014 split per share and sold at $700.07/$100.01 (pre/post-2014 split). Bought some VTI with the proceeds and happy that how things turned out. Meanwhile, I continue to love Apple and will help out their stock price some buy by buying some equipment from them :)
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

I can't find any real news, other than alleged hacks to their iCloud, that is driving the stock down today?
Electron

Post by Electron »

airahcaz wrote:I can't find any real news, other than alleged hacks to their iCloud, that is driving the stock down today?
It is likely today's announcement from Samsung.

http://fortune.com/2014/09/03/samsung-a ... ple-event/

I've been watching the significant price increase in Apple stock recently and wondering what will happen next week when their new products are announced. There could be a sharp move in one direction or the other.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Today's chart was a roller coaster!
sambb

Post by sambb »

How does aapl do after iPhone releases?
How does it do historically in the holiday run-up?
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

AAPL is the inspiration for my siggy. :P
Last edited by oldzey on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I'm holding on to my AAPL stock. I will get the iPhone 6 Plus on September 19th and if I like it, I will continue to keep AAPL.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

TravelforFun wrote:I'm holding on to my AAPL stock. I will get the iPhone 6 Plus on September 19th and if I like it, I will continue to keep AAPL.
What a rollercoaster, I almost bailed yesterday/today if it continued to go down.

I LOVE my IP6.
bru

Post by bru »

My AAPL investment is up 563% (including reinvested dividends). Easily beating the return of any other investment I have in the same time frame by many multiples. Now that it split I actually have more than just a handful of shares. My cost basis is ~$16/sh.

Still it accounts for less than 3% of my portfolio. I remember being nervous buying those initial shares. In hindsight (ain't it great!), buying a few more would have been nice.
bru

Post by bru »

oldzey wrote: Good time to sell (and exchange for total market index funds). :D
Since your post on 8/21/14 AAPL is essentially unchanged (up $0.06). The S&P 500 is down ~1.3%. DOW and NASDAQ also down. Even after todays huge gain.
bru

Post by bru »

airahcaz wrote:
What a rollercoaster, I almost bailed yesterday/today if it continued to go down.

I LOVE my IP6.
Are you a trader or an investor? There is nothing wrong with investing in a company for the long term.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Like others I am over 90% indexed. Some of my 5-10% play money is invested in AAPL Jan 2015 options.
bru

Post by bru »

airahcaz wrote:Like others I am over 90% indexed. Some of my 5-10% play money is invested in AAPL Jan 2015 options.
Options. You are a trader. Once uppn a time I read up on the process but never did anything more than that.

The majority of my investments are in index funds but I do own a few individual stocks, including AAPL. I'm a buy and hold investor, although I have sold two or three stocks over the years.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

bru wrote:My AAPL investment is up 563% (including reinvested dividends). Easily beating the return of any other investment I have in the same time frame by many multiples. Now that it split I actually have more than just a handful of shares. My cost basis is ~$16/sh.

Still it accounts for less than 3% of my portfolio. I remember being nervous buying those initial shares. In hindsight (ain't it great!), buying a few more would have been nice.
Good thing you're not posting in the GTAT thread :wink:
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

bru wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Like others I am over 90% indexed. Some of my 5-10% play money is invested in AAPL Jan 2015 options.
Options. You are a trader. Once uppn a time I read up on the process but never did anything more than that.

The majority of my investments are in index funds but I do own a few individual stocks, including AAPL. I'm a buy and hold investor, although I have sold two or three stocks over the years.
Well they've quadrupled, and my decision is whether to sell after iPad announcement, AAPL Oct earnings, or after Xmas sales.
bru

Post by bru »

autonomy wrote:Good thing you're not posting in the GTAT thread :wink:
If tomorrow my AAPL shares were worthless it would be disappointing but it wouldn't destroy me. I would still have 97% of my money.

I've never even heard of GTAT. After reading about them for the past few minutes I wouldn't even be able to tell someone what they do (or did). Every day I hear about and see AAPL products. Like Peter Lynch said, "buy what you know". And more importantly, like many in the thread here talking about GAT and their problems have said, putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

bru wrote:
autonomy wrote:Good thing you're not posting in the GTAT thread :wink:
If tomorrow my AAPL shares were worthless it would be disappointing but it wouldn't destroy me. I would still have 97% of my money.

I've never even heard of GTAT. After reading about them for the past few minutes I wouldn't even be able to tell someone what they do (or did). Every day I hear about and see AAPL products. Like Peter Lynch said, "buy what you know". And more importantly, like many in the thread here talking about GAT and their problems have said, putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.
If AAPL shares were zero tomorrow, I guarantee you'd be down far more than 3%.

Apple is tethered to many companies and is a big part of the economy, directly and indirectly. Any general economy condition that causes Apple great harm will doubtlessly hit other companies just as hard (i.e. Verizon, ATT, Micron, Intel, Samsung, etc.). You'd probably see 10-20% fall or much more in the market BEFORE Apple shares approach worthless.

There are fewer situations where Apple implodes or is caused by their companies taking over their share. But in those cases, the fallout of losing Apple and the iEconomy would be just as damaging in the short run with closed Apple stores, unemployed Apple retail employees, unemployed App developers, etc. So even if Apple were ground zero, the consequences to the economy and thus other stocks won't be insignificant.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48975662

GM wasn't too big to fail, but that's the scale of event and fallout that could involved Apple crisis.
bru

Post by bru »

inbox788 wrote:
If AAPL shares were zero tomorrow, I guarantee you'd be down far more than 3%.

Apple is tethered to many companies and is a big part of the economy, directly and indirectly. Any general economy condition that causes Apple great harm will doubtlessly hit other companies just as hard (i.e. Verizon, ATT, Micron, Intel, Samsung, etc.). You'd probably see 10-20% fall or much more in the market BEFORE Apple shares approach worthless.
Yes I understand that. Didn't want to calculate its position in all the index funds. I think my point was made. AAPL shares I own individually are a small part of my portfolio.

Sorry I ever posted on this thread. Everyone loves to bash Apple. Whatever. I think more than a few of those bashers wish they bought it when it was (split adjusted) $10 or $15. Which really wasn't that long ago. My (paper) gain is what it is. I'm not going to apologize for it. Tomorrow it will be different.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Today's positive movement when the markets tanked is devoid of any logic.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

110+?
sambb

Post by sambb »

110 soon
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

I may be selling all my options if it eclipses 110 in the next week.
sambb

Post by sambb »

was above 110 intraday today
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

Boy, what's with the run-up lately. Are people all that confident about Apple Pay?
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

I'm kind of curious why my $100 option hasn't triggered yet.. when it was around $95 I sold a contract to sell it at a price of $100. I figured it would trigger right around $109 (due to fees) but nothing yet. Can anyone clarify?
ctreada

Post by ctreada »

My guess is Christmas season expectations.
I have a sell order in at 115. Trend is your friend.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

mich_bogle wrote:I'm kind of curious why my $100 option hasn't triggered yet.. when it was around $95 I sold a contract to sell it at a price of $100. I figured it would trigger right around $109 (due to fees) but nothing yet. Can anyone clarify?
??? I hope you're not talking about stock options, because it shows a lack of understanding.
1) What is the stock you are referring to in the option? AAPL?
2) Is it a call or put?
3) Did you buy it or sell it? sell?
4) What is the strike price? 100?
5) What is the expiration date?
6) Do you own the underlying, that is AAPL stock? How many shares?
7) How many option contracts did you sell? 1?
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

See back a month or two in this thread for some discussion of it.

I sold a covered call at a strike price of $100.00 with an expiration next year.

I fully admit that I did not have full understanding of how the trade works, but enough of a working understanding to know that this is a pretty boring trade with limited downside, when it comes down to it.
inbox788 wrote:
mich_bogle wrote:I'm kind of curious why my $100 option hasn't triggered yet.. when it was around $95 I sold a contract to sell it at a price of $100. I figured it would trigger right around $109 (due to fees) but nothing yet. Can anyone clarify?
??? I hope you're not talking about stock options, because it shows a lack of understanding.
1) What is the stock you are referring to in the option? AAPL?
2) Is it a call or put?
3) Did you buy it or sell it? sell?
4) What is the strike price? 100?
5) What is the expiration date?
6) Do you own the underlying, that is AAPL stock? How many shares?
7) How many option contracts did you sell? 1?
sambb

Post by sambb »

dividend paid today also - 0.47/share
Electron

Post by Electron »

The option still has time premium in the price since expiration is next year. Any speculator holding that particular call option would make a greater profit just selling the option at current market price rather than exercising it. You might not be exercised until the expiration date or very close to it. Early exercise is also possible in some cases to capture a dividend.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

sold some of my spreads when the stock peaked 110, held half of my options spreads still, and doing well, but nervous
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

This stock puzzles me greatly, down all day, consecutively, now closes up, why?
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

AAPL's monster quarter and earnings beat.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Momentum pushes it higher till iWatch?
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

airahcaz wrote:Momentum pushes it higher till iWatch?
The iWatch doesn't exist.
bru

Post by bru »

2/10/15 Record high close for AAPL, $122.02/sh. Market cap exceeds 700 Billion. First American company to do it.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

boroc7 wrote:
Yet
fastpace_re

Post by fastpace_re »

airahcaz wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
Yet
I think he meant the name iWatch doesn't exist. It is called Apple Watch.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

fastpace_re wrote:
airahcaz wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
Yet
I think he meant the name iWatch doesn't exist. It is called Apple Watch.
Yet
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I read a good article on Apple recently where it was noted that the stock is now back in favor among analysts. What an incredible ride.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."