PTRAX vs PTTRX

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

PTRAX vs PTTRX

Postby feh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi folks.

Could somebody please verify that the only difference between these two is the expense ratio?

Could somebody also verify that when a fund is labeled as "institutional", that really only means a large initial purchase? As opposed to meaning the fund cannot be purchased by an individual?

Thanks.
feh

Re: PTRAX vs PTTRX

Postby Quasimodo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm

feh wrote:Hi folks.

Could somebody please verify that the only difference between these two is the expense ratio?

Could somebody also verify that when a fund is labeled as "institutional", that really only means a large initial purchase? As opposed to meaning the fund cannot be purchased by an individual?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity I logged into my Vanguard brokerage account and began a "buy" transaction for each symbol. PTRAX had a $5,000 minimum while PTTRX had a $25,000 minimum, but it would have been possible to buy either one.

Looking casually at the prospectus for each, they appear to be the same with 65% diversified fixed income, up to 10% in junk bonds and up to 30% in foreign bonds.

This is not an expert opinion. I'm just a confused older person.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
Quasimodo

Re: PTRAX vs PTTRX

Postby livesoft » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 pm

I like the fact that Quasimodo checked the Prospectus. My spouse used to own PIMCO Total Return and I would read the hardcopy prospectus every year. She had a different ticker symbol, but it was clear from the prospectus what was going on. There was only one prospectus for all the different share classes of the fund.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments