does vanguard have admiral TIPS?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Postby genjix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

I was going to rebalance today and upgrade to admiral tips but i didnt see it on the list?
Thanks
genjix

Re: does vanguard have admiral TIPS?

Postby tomd37 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, the symbol is VAIPX which I hold.
Tom D.
tomd37

Postby Taylor Larimore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes. The ticker symbol is VAIPX. However, the minimum investment is $50,000.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby genjix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Yes. The ticker symbol is VAIPX. However, the minimum investment is $50,000.

Best wishes.
Taylor

ohhhh... ok nm, i thought it was the typical 10k. Thanks for the info guys
genjix

Postby Langkawi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm

genjix wrote:ohhhh... ok nm, i thought it was the typical 10k.

10K is the minumum only for index funds.
Langkawi

Postby archbish99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Langkawi wrote:

Interestingly, their new short-term TIPS fund is an index, and therefore its Admiral shares start at $10k. I wonder why the full-term TIPS fund isn't simply an index -- are they actively moving up and down the yield curve in search of better return?
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
archbish99

Postby nisiprius » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:45 pm

archbish99 wrote:
Langkawi wrote:

Interestingly, their new short-term TIPS fund is an index, and therefore its Admiral shares start at $10k. I wonder why the full-term TIPS fund isn't simply an index -- are they actively moving up and down the yield curve in search of better return?
They have said publicly that they do try to get slightly better returns by active management... it was the fund's previous manager, what was his name, Vollmer, Volcker... Volpert! Kenneth Volpert who said that. In reality, the fund has tracked the TIPS index almost perfectly. Morningstar is showing me some teaser snippets of premium content in which a David Falkof says "Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities succeeds with a straightlaced approach. Manager Gemma Wright-Casparius, who became the fund's lead manager in early 2012, keeps this fund's portfolio tightly aligned with its benchmark, the Barclays U.S. TIPS..." and "Management runs the fund closely in line with its benchmark, the Barclays U.S. Treasury Inflation Protected Securities Index. While it's not an index fund, management prefers to let the fund's low expense..."

But if not being an index makes the entry point $50,000 instead of $10,000, it's a pity.

There have actually been several times I've wonder "why Vanguard doesn't just..." do some seemingly obvious thing, and, in due course, be gratified when they did. It wouldn't surprise me if they do revamp it to be an index fund someday, and I hope they do.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: "Citizen of the terrestrial sphere"--O. Henry, "A Cosmopolite in a Cafe"

Postby archbish99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 pm

In fairness, a couple of their other bond funds aren't indexed (and thus still have $50k Admiral shares) either, so it's in good company.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
archbish99

Postby Geologist » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Keep in mind that the savings of Admiral shares compared to Investor shares is pretty small for modest fund holdings. Even if you had $49,000 in the TIPS fund, your extra expense is less than $50/year. Speaking personally, I'm always happier to pay less but the difference is not much to get worked up over.
Geologist

Postby grabiner » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 pm

archbish99 wrote:
Langkawi wrote:

When the fund was started, indexing didn't make much sense; there were so few different maturities of TIPS, issued irregularly, sometimes with 10-year maturity and sometimes with 30-year maturity, and in varying amounts, that a TIPS index would not have a consistent duration as new TIPS were issued. A fund which kept a constant duration of 7-8 years would be more appropriate for investors who wanted a given risk level than an index with duration varying between 5-10 years.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments